PQIA tests eight more oils - 1/26/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the VOA's.

VOA of Castrol Edge black bottle w/ Titanium additive values are similar to the UOA I did last year, only a minor amount of Titanium vs other brands.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
only a minor amount of Titanium vs other brands.

Yeah, really. 7ppm? A little goes a long way?

Thanks Tom......

Quaker State has approximation 3 times the Moly of all the others....except for Valvoline, which has none. QSUD has great Noack numbers as well.

Also..... all that were tested were 0w20...except Auto Zone (5w20) and Quaker State UD (5w30).

Since I use QSUD 0w20, I would have hoped they would have published the 0w20 stats.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Thanks Tom......

Quaker State has approximation 3 times the Moly of all the others....except for Valvoline, which has none.

Also..... all that were tested were 0w20...except Auto Zone (5w20) and Quaker State UD (5w30).

Since I use QSUD 0w20, I would have hoped they would have published the 0w20 stats.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
only a minor amount of Titanium vs other brands.

Yeah, really. 7ppm? A little goes a long way?

Compare to Kendall GT-1 synthetic with 93ppm as tested by PQIA. That's for their 5w30 but according to Kendall's product data sheets it seems to be similar for their other weights.

Thanks Tom......

Quaker State has approximation 3 times the Moly of all the others....except for Valvoline, which has none. QSUD has great Noack numbers as well.

Which probably means the Mobil and Pennzoil products are using Tri-Nuclear and the QS is using the old school Moly.

NOACK is good for a 5w-30 as well. Not as good as the old Pennzoil Ultra (6.6%) but better than Pennzoil Platinum.

Why is it that the 'cheaper' oils have big shots of Boron? I thought Boron was supposed to be the new in vogue additive?

And what does Titanium do? Blackstone labs told me to their knowledge it does nothing.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Why is it that the 'cheaper' oils have big shots of Boron? I thought Boron was supposed to be the new in vogue additive?

And what does Titanium do? Blackstone labs told me to their knowledge it does nothing.

Anti wear additive, the "new moly", Just marketing you know.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Holy Moly on that QSUD! Its like they put the moly from PYB in a synthetic.

QSUD is a bit of a sleeper synthetic. People on here tend to skip over it but it seems stout and often found for much less than M1 or PP especially with rebates.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Holy Moly on that QSUD! Its like they put the moly from PYB in a synthetic.

I guess there's something wrong. I've never seen three-digit moly in QSUD VOAs.

Even the AZ 5w20 syn. looks very good...Boron, Zinc, Moly, Calcium and $3.99 a quart every day for a dexos rated syn.....Is it a WPP product or the other Warren from Dunn NC ?

Thanks Tom......

QSUD 0W-20 test results were published July 3, 2014

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/quakerstate.htm

Since I use QSUD 5W-20, I'm glad to see PQIA also publish those test results instead of repeating the 0w-20.

QSUD looking better every day
smile.gif

Mobil 0W20 AFE is no joke... I always thought of it as an also ran formulation.
I was planning on running PP 0W20 for my first change on the civic, but now considering I can purchase AFE pretty cheap at Costco right now ($10 off coupon for a pack of six - makes it $26.99), this might have changed my mind.

Thanks for the post Tom
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
QSUD looking better every day
smile.gif

For the money I don't think there's another syn that gives you more bang for the buck, especially in 5W-30, than QSUD. I only have one vehicle that specs 5W-30, but it for sure gets it.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Thanks Tom......

QSUD 0W-20 test results were published July 3, 2014

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/quakerstate.htm

Since I use QSUD 5W-20, I'm glad to see PQIA also publish those test results instead of repeating the 0w-20.

Thanks Nyogtha..... for informing me that PQIA tested QSUD 0w20 earlier....and I agree some others here that QSUD looks like a sleeper oil and a 'best buy for the buck'(especially with rebates).

I'm happy I switched to it recently, and I'm pleased with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back