PQIA 2016 and 2017 Testing results for Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
If it was obsolete I'd buy it, but I've only seen it in SN here.

What I think Garak meant by 'obsolete' was that you almost never see those grades recommended in new vehicle owner manuals anymore, at least not in North America.

So let me ask is it the increase in the calcium from 2,344 ppm to 2,646 ppm and boron from 80 to 195 ppm that is the extra cleaning detergent for Ultra Clean. I also see that the NOACK lowered slightly from 12.1 to 11.6 with Ultra Clean and wonder if that might be due to the increase in the Molybdenum going from 80 to 195 ppm . Keep in mind my knowledge of chemistry is embarrassing little.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
So let me ask is it the increase in the calcium from 2,344 ppm to 2,646 ppm and boron from 80 to 195 ppm that is the extra cleaning detergent for Ultra Clean.
Calcium - possibly. Boron - no. Boron is typically used as a corrosion inhibitor and anti-wear agent, not a cleaning detergent.

Quote:
I also see that the NOACK lowered slightly from 12.1 to 11.6 with Ultra Clean and wonder if that might be due to the increase in the Molybdenum going from 80 to 195 ppm .

Moly is typically used as an anti-wear agent and friction reducer.

My guess for the reason for lower Noack would be the use of higher quality oil bases since Ultraclean has some synthetic blended in there.

^^^^^^^

Agree with the NOACK drop due to some synthetic blend bring blended in.

And good grief Quattro Pete this thread as been a wild Odyssey...

Thanks Quattro for the information . The PQIA for the Ultra Clean looked pretty good and I saw it at my local WM for $15.97 for a 5 quart jug. Might give it a try on my next oci.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Seems that way, but also GTX is mineral while GTX Ultraclean is a blend.

I had been wondering about that with the product rollout a bit, too, but really haven't done any price comparison up here, or even looked at the Castrol GTX lately to see if we've got the new stuff here even.

Ducked: We do get the SN product in 10w-40 and even monogrades from Castrol. I meant obsolete, as Quattro Pete indicated, by viscosities we no longer see specified. Wakefield does make sure that all kinds of options are available wherever Castrol is sold, so finding Castrol monogrades or even non-detergent is fairly trivial. Up here, basically, if you want an oddball grade, go Castrol, because they'll have it on the shelf somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Seems that way, but also GTX is mineral while GTX Ultraclean is a blend.

I had been wondering about that with the product rollout a bit, too, but really haven't done any price comparison up here, or even looked at the Castrol GTX lately to see if we've got the new stuff here even.

Ducked: We do get the SN product in 10w-40 and even monogrades from Castrol. I meant obsolete, as Quattro Pete indicated, by viscosities we no longer see specified. Wakefield does make sure that all kinds of options are available wherever Castrol is sold, so finding Castrol monogrades or even non-detergent is fairly trivial. Up here, basically, if you want an oddball grade, go Castrol, because they'll have it on the shelf somewhere.

Castrol GTX was the standby oil when I was in the UK. Limited range of Castrol stuff available here, and I havnt seen any monogrades. Mostly sourced in Thailand and doesn't seem to be very popular. Apart from some "Go" 20W/40 motorcycle stuff its all been SN for a few years. SJ is as new as I like to go, so no Castrol for me here until I can't get SJ in any other brands. Then I might use the motorcycle stuff.

Originally Posted By: wemay
You can't find GTX (only) 5W20 or 5w30 around here anymore. Only GTX I see is 10w30/40. The Castrol GTX 5w20 and 5w30 now available is Ultraclean.

They're relegating GTX to the obsolete grades?
wink.gif

delet this!

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Castrol GTX was the standby oil when I was in the UK. Limited range of Castrol stuff available here, and I havnt seen any monogrades.

Wakefield Canada, Inc. aggressively markets. They even kept the historic UK name.
wink.gif
They have a whack of HDEOs here, more A3/B4 options than anyone else, and tend to have the oddballs. I even am sure I saw a 20w-20 within the last five years.

If I need an oddball, Castrol is always a good place to start.

PeterPolyol: They're all obsolete, admit it. Go to Walmart or CT, and see the Castrol GTX in CI-4+, the monogrades, the 10w-30, the 10w-40, maybe even the 20w-20. It's all in the past, man!
wink.gif

They're relegating GTX to the good grades?
wink.gif

^^^ Here fixed that for you.

I'm enjoying my Penrite 10W40 right now, very smooth and quiet. This oil & filter combo has finally cured my lifter tick, and I've been trying a lot of different oils. To be honest, I think the filters can have a big effect too, and the Wesfil-Cooper seems to work well in my car.

Come join me on my Penrite Vantage thread
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4651716/

There is nobody there but myself and a few tumbleweeds rolling past.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: mctmatt
but I was not aware that they have discontinued the regular GTX to be replaced by the Ultra Clean. Their web site still offers both .

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but to me it sounds like GTX 5w-20 and 5w-30 was replaced with GTX Ultraclean...

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/motor-oil/conventional-motor-oil/gtx-motor-oil.html

Quote:
CASTROL GTX MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 10W-30, 10W-40 AND 20W-50.
CASTROL GTX ULTRACLEAN MOTOR OIL IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING GRADES: 5W-20 AND 5W-30.

That says nothing about it replacing Magnatec it suggests its part of the GTX oil family and that Its conventional oil. They just put up a new online ad for more GTX Magnatec 5w-20/30 oil here at Walmart this lie has continued since November and the oil is still here.

So much for rumor on BITOG!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-MAGNATEC-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/44580669

Wth? R u even in the same discussion lol

Originally Posted By: SR5
There is nobody there but myself and a few tumbleweeds rolling past.

I've been reading it. I'm one of those tumbleweeds that rolled by!
wink.gif

With respect to Castrol's new product differentiation, I'm getting a bit curious what they've done up here, and if they still have a bajillion HDEOs on the same shelf.

Some recent GTX VOAs on BITOG from Member Researcher

Here is the regular GTX 5W20
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483036/

Here is the UltraClean GTX 5W30
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507347/

Yup those are mine, glad I put those up. That's exactly why I sent the Ultraclean 5w30 to the lab to be tested. Since the older PQIA data was only for the regular GTX 5w30 not the newer Ultraclean. Then when I was looking at the regular GTX 5w20, I wanted to keep PQIA honest and see if I got the same results.

What I would like to see is a lab test for the Ultraclean 5w20 virgin sample of course. I know I should've done one, but hey not made of money! lol.

I've been using the 5w20 GTX Ultraclean in my civic and going to be sending in a UOA here in the next week or so. Be interesting to see how it compares to the 5w20 GTX (conventional) that I was using in the previous oil change interval. Personally the difference I've seen is that the 5w20 Ultraclean is quicker/easier to start in the cold than the conventional 5w20 GTX previous version. And the data from Castrol does show that. But I like to see how it affects my car in the cold we've had here. The two oils are similar from my perception/senses. Lab results will quantify that soon. I'm happy with the oil, a lot more that the TGMO I was using previously. Mobil definitely has changed the base stock on those! And not to the better!

Originally Posted By: researcher
Some recent GTX VOAs on BITOG from Member Researcher

Here is the regular GTX 5W20
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4483036/

Here is the UltraClean GTX 5W30
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507347/

Yup those are mine, glad I put those up. That's exactly why I sent the Ultraclean 5w30 to the lab to be tested. Since the older PQIA data was only for the regular GTX 5w30 not the newer Ultraclean. Then when I was looking at the regular GTX 5w20, I wanted to keep PQIA honest and see if I got the same results.

What I would like to see is a lab test for the Ultraclean 5w20 virgin sample of course. I know I should've done one, but hey not made of money! lol.

I've been using the 5w20 GTX Ultraclean in my civic and going to be sending in a UOA here in the next week or so. Be interesting to see how it compares to the 5w20 GTX (conventional) that I was using in the previous oil change interval. Personally the difference I've seen is that the 5w20 Ultraclean is quicker/easier to start in the cold than the conventional 5w20 GTX previous version. And the data from Castrol does show that. But I like to see how it affects my car in the cold we've had here. The two oils are similar from my perception/senses. Lab results will quantify that soon. I'm happy with the oil, a lot more that the TGMO I was using previously. Mobil definitely has changed the base stock on those! And not to the better!

sorry to everyone, I apologize.. I checked my records this morning and I was using up the last of my 5w20 GTX Conventional right now in this oil interval. I have the 5w20 Ultraclean ready to go in for this next oil change. So getting my UOA will be the old conventional GTX. It's why lab data is more important than how it "feels" to me! Just had to clear that up.
Don't want to be lying!!
27.gif
ok that's all.. carry on..

Then when I was looking at the regular GTX 5w20, I wanted to keep PQIA honest and see if I got the same results.

Do they really need that, since that's their job, to keep oil companies - notably the lower end, lower distribution types - honest?
wink.gif

Do they really need that, since that's their job, to keep oil companies - notably the lower end, lower distribution types - honest?
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
oh the sarcasm is strong in Garak! lmao! But I laugh because I agree with you, you're right! thanks for the laugh!

yeah I just don't trust that easily, and wanted to see what my own results would be since it had been some time since PQIA tested the exact oil I was looking at. And joking aside, I still haven't seen them test the Ultraclean yet. Didn't care to wait, guess they'll test it eventually.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
They changed the 5/20 and 5/30 to ultra clean because they are both semi-syn now.

um.. I'm confused.. did you post this just to state what everyone else has already said throughout the thread, myself included? Or did you do this for those who can't read the entire thread? Because yes, it has been said that 5w20 and 5w30 GTX Ultraclean is semi-synthetic now..

I've been confused really, as lately there seems to be posts to the obvious.. Is this just to write something? Or is it to get post counts higher? It's an odd behavior I've noticed.

yeah I just don't trust that easily, and wanted to see what my own results would be since it had been some time since PQIA tested the exact oil I was looking at. And joking aside, I still haven't seen them test the Ultraclean yet. Didn't care to wait, guess they'll test it eventually.

Of course, the utility of VOAs on their own is limited (much more useful with trended UOAs in conjunction with a VOA), but be rest assured that many of us appreciate seeing them, for any oil out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back