PP Euro LX 0w30 - 8,811 Miles - '18 Giulia w/ 2.0T

Looking good so far for the Giulia. Iron is still a little high, but is in the ballpark of other 2.0T UOAs. Will continue to maintain a 10k OCI moving forward.

Attachments

• Giulia 2nd UOA.pdf
    223.9 KB · Views: 246
Congratulations, you got a beautiful ride. Just wanted to say that the Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 doesn't meet MS-13340. Not that I take FCA oil certifications seriously, they're kind of a joke. Just my two cents, and please take it just as a suggestion, however, I would recommend a good PAO based motor oil for your application. Maybe Castrol EDGE 0W-40 to start with. If it was my ride, I would run Red Line 0W-40 or 5W-40 in it, depending on how hard you run it. A shear stable motor oil (though the PP Euro LX 0W-30 didn't seem to shear) that has a high resistance to heat could bring your wear numbers down. If you're scared of going up in viscosity, then maybe Red Line 0W-30 or 5W-30. They all have almost identical additive packages with lots of ZDDP and Moly. However, if you like this type of engine oil but want something better, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is very hard to beat. It's a hell of a motor oil. If you look in the owner's manual, the 2.9L V6 requires 0W-40, now for 2020, they bumped it up to 5W-40. Your UOA is excellent otherwise, no fuel dilution either. It seems like you have an excellent engine. Are you using premium gas?

Congratulations, you got a beautiful ride. Just wanted to say that the Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 doesn't meet MS-13340.

Alfa calls for either MS-13340 or Fiat 9.55535-GS1. The latter of which is met by this oil.

Yes, premium is always used. Not technically needed, but recommended.

Alfa calls for either MS-13340 or Fiat 9.55535-GS1. The latter of which is met by this oil.

Yes, premium is always used. Not technically needed, but recommended.

My apologies, I missed the Fiat 9.55535-GS1 spec. I guess Pennzoil is the only oil that meets the OEM spec.

If I'm not mistaken, the best reason to use premium gasoline in a GDI, Turbo GDI, or Turbo engine is to avoid fuel dilution. No worries, we had a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T turbo and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T turbo and in both, I used Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and cheap gas and believe me, if I had a chance to own those vehicles again, I would treat them better. I miss driving a turbocharged vehicle, they're awesome.

Anyone else not real impressed with the add pack on that Euro LX 0W-30?

No moly?

I do see it’s got a good shot of boron.

I am not as impressed as BS by this report. 🤔
Not sure, but I would try another oil and/or shorter OCI and see if that improves.

Where is the copper coming from? Oil cooler?

I have no experience with the engine in the Giulia. Is that level of iron about normal for an 8-10K interval with that engine?

I have no experience with the engine in the Giulia. Is that level of iron about normal for an 8-10K interval with that engine?

It’s a touch higher than normal, but I’ve also seen some reports where on the 2nd or 3rd run they’re in the mid to high 40s. So not atypical.

An interesting thing I’ve seen is a general upward trend between runs, not counting the drop from factory fill. Eventually I’m sure these stabilize, but not too many reports are available on these to get long term data.

If it has that much boron at nearly 9k it had loads to begin with, measurable boron depletes throughout and OCI. This meets VW 504, so it is one impressive oil. I'd try it if getting it wasn't such a pain.

Low saps low calcium high boron should be a good brew to help prevent LSPI in vehicles that have that issue.

Back