Power Steering Flushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the longest time, I refused to recommend or perform power steering flushes. This was because power steering fluid is not an OEM specified maintenance item and it lives a fairly easy life since it is hydraulic fluid. Furthermore, if there was a component failure, the repair cost is fairly low (compared to ABS components or a powertrain component) so the ROI would be difficult to justify. After all, the intent of maintenance is purely for the purpose of reducing operating costs, not increase them.

I have a customer with a 2013 Mazda 3 with 80k miles. It uses an electrically operated power steering pump. For years, the pump has always had a somewhat noticeable high pitched whine. I chalked it up as normal operation since it started occurring at a very low mileage, never got louder and the system was working fine.

During the last service visit, I decided to flush the p/s fluid to see if the noise would be reduced. Per the repair manual, the system holds 1.1 qt of fluid. So I disconnected the rubber line located south of the electric power steering pump. With the engine off, I rotated the steering wheel several times. Then I buttoned everything back up, refilled, and bled the system. This replaced about 3/4 qt of fluid, which is pretty good. I then repeated the process once more. I used Idemitsu Type M ATF from WorldPac.

As you can see in the picture above, the fluid is now clean. It was dark brown before. Best of all, the noise from the pump is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. It is probably 80% quieter.

I may have to reconsider my position on power steering flushes. I have always viewed them as wallet flushes, but this experience has caused me to reconsider.

Done PS flushes in ACC mode and whats better is there is no damage to the system.
Air displaces itself for the most part when doing steering locks under no load (vehicle raised).

There are folks who haven't done PS flushes and they have 300K miles also (EOD, its about comfort level, noise reduction and PM to avoid costly expenses).

It always makes me feel better to have cleaner looking fluid in there. Hopefully it makes the system last longer..

Different system, but I've silenced many an old Ford PS system simply by exchanging PSF.

I have done this several times to the '06 Mazda3(e-P/S) in my signature. However I have only used DexronIII/Mercon for a replacement with perfect success.

I disconnect the P/S rubber line near the front passenger side wheel, let it drain, move the front wheels back & forth by hand(both front wheels off the ground) until the fluid stops, reconnect the hose and refill the system.

Last edited:
Every fluid in every car needs to be changed. Anybody who tells you different is a liar or a new car salesman. (same thing, right?)

I usually change it by sucking out the reservoir with a big syringe and then drive around like normal for a bit. After about 6 times it starts coming out the same as the new stuff goes in. Extremely easy, takes less than 5 minutes per time, half of a paper towel and very little cost. I changed the PSF in my 1998 Cherokee and it was as black as coffee. You can't tell me that fluid was doing anything any good. It was probably factory, almost 20 years old. It needed replacing regardless of mileage.

Did I notice any difference? No. Do other people get 300,000 miles from the factory fill? Probably. Is mine going to have issues from bad fluid? Definitely not. If any fluid in your vehicle is dirty you aren't a good owner.

New fluid is always a good idea. Both of my vehicles benefitted from new PSF. Steering is smoother (no more "sticks" or rough spots). And it's cheap. I don't do the turkey baster method any more. Much easier to pull the return line to the reservoir.

Thanks for sharing.

PSF changes are cheap insurance as they say even though some isn't so cheap now.

I recommend ps flushes, especially the first one to get rid of break-in debris. I do them myself.

I back off from recommending them if the owner has to take it somewhere and pay for it.

PSF collects moisture and some contaminants over time. There are obviously no byproducts of combustion but IMO the syatem was designed to function properly with clean fluid. I use the turkey baster method every 50k or so.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I changed the PSF in my 1998 Cherokee and it was as black as coffee. It was probably factory, almost 20 years old.

Did I notice any difference? No.

That's usually my experience, also - though I will to keep it from getting so terribly dark.

The power steering whine will gradually come back to the level before the flush, I would say within a year. But that noise never gets louder than that in my car. I flush mine when I do my ATF, which is about 60k miles and I use the same fluid I put in the transmission. Seems to work well so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
PSF collects moisture and some contaminants over time. There are obviously no byproducts of combustion but IMO the syatem was designed to function properly with clean fluid. I use the turkey baster method every 50k or so.
It's a hydraulic system and and ALL hydraulic systems require clean, filtered fluid to operate properly.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted By: JLTD
It's a hydraulic system and and ALL hydraulic systems require clean, filtered fluid to operate properly.

Of course they do and I agree. But when I make a flat ststement like you just did, I usually get 6 posters coming out of the woodwork to analyze what I said and tell me how I'm wrong or how to improve on what I said. Using "IMO" usually keeps them away.

PS fluid was dark brown in my car a few years back when I was just starting to tackle maintenance items that our normal shop didn't bother with. Pump would groan when turning, and steering would get heavy as things warmed up.

Pulled a huge clump of sludge off the reservoir magnet and took five rounds of flushing to get the fluid to come out clean. Groaning stopped, steering feel became consistent again, and the pump is still quiet and strong 40k miles later.

"Not an OEM specified maintenance item" sounds like the same [censored] behind "lifetime" ATF and other fluids, where the definition of "lifetime" means "not our problem once the warranty is out". No thanks! I'll change fluids instead of shelling out a big wad of cash because the pump ate itself from poor lubrication.

One thing not mentioned is the power steering fluid, for lack of a better word, filter.

My car developed a significant whine on cold start up, that faded in 10 or 15 seconds. It had about 120K miles and 15 years on the power steering fluid.

The reservoir has a very fine brass mesh screen as a system filter. I removed the reservoir, added hoses to route the old fluid from the rack into a waste container and connected the line to the pump from a container of fresh fluid. Running the car and cycling the steering wheel (front end raised) flushed the system in about 20 seconds.

I had to remove the top of the reservoir to get at the brass screen, it was covered in gunk. I cleaned that with a soft bristle brush and some solvent.

It's been running fine since.
So, don't forget to clean the filter screen.

I flushed wifey's 2006 TSX at 180K. These are really great cars; steering feels like new.
I did a quickie flush on my folk's 1998 Accord with 80K. Feels great.

My old Tundra is next.
Heck, maybe I will walk down the street and flush everybody's power steering fluid...
I love this stuff.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
"Not an OEM specified maintenance item" sounds like the same [censored] behind "lifetime" ATF and other fluids, where the definition of "lifetime" means "not our problem once the warranty is out". No thanks!

It's interesting, I was recently looking at the OEM manual for my 1998 Cherokee. They list what you need to check/change up to 120,000 miles. (at which point I guess they think it's used up?) For the "normal" service interval, they don't say anything about checking power steering, axle lube, transmission, or transfer case. With the "severe" service, most of those things need to be checked or serviced every 30k or so.

I thought that was interesting as far back as 1998, nobody was talking about a "lifetime fill" at that time. 120k on any of those fluids is far too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back