Post your latest cold start.

Certified ear-gasm for sure. Still kicking myself for not buying the manual W8 wagon, when I had the chance in 2014... Oh the ones that got away...
The manual would sound much better than the Triptragic auto but whatever, still cool. Actually just hoping in it to go get a Christmas tree. They are regularly for sale - the manual wagons if you are interested. carsandbids.com is a popular place to find them.

No videos but i cold started the old Versatile bidirectional tractor. Its either an 84 or 85 with a 100hp 4BT. No grid heater but an inoperable ether start. -17c cold soak. She tried but no dice. Blew some nice smoke rings though. After a warmup with the block heater she came to life. Man I love the sound of mechanical injected diesels cold starting.

23 Tacoma 2GR-FSE, and boy do I like the sound of a quiet cold start with no valve clatter. 29 degrees, M1 Euro 0w-40 + CeraTec from 1k - 6k miles. Current fill is just 0w-40

Last edited:
Not playing by my own rules here. Tried to film a start, but failed. So here is the warm-up that immediately followed that cold start.
Castrol HM 10W40 in the crankcase.

We have a heated garage which will be at 50 F this Friday when the morning temp is forecast to be -20 F. Unfortunately, the truck will be parked outside at work all day from -20 to -10 F. We have 0w30 motor in the pan oil so no biggie. There are no plug-ins at work, otherwise I usually plug in at 0 F.

We have a heated garage which will be at 50 F this Friday when the morning temp is forecast to be -20 F. Unfortunately, the truck will be parked outside at work all day from -20 to -10 F. We have 0w30 motor in the pan oil so no biggie. There are no plug-ins at work, otherwise I usually plug in at 0 F.
Electric heater is great when its so cold. I dont have a heater installed when we usually dont have so cold here in Stockholm area but those times i go up to nort to visit my parents like christmas and new year i really consider to install an engineblock heater and also a battery charger.

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Current fill is 5w20 Castrol GTX synthetic
37° at 0330 in the morning. Not exactly cold compared to most, but pretty chilly for south Louisiana.

Car hadn't been moved in 3 days and it was -12F. Some very interesting sounds at startup. It ran for 15 minutes before I got in. Then some more interesting sounds from the brakes and suspension. Good times. (y)

I did three morning starts at 0 F with a 2005 Taurus that was plugged in overnight. I can simply say it’s a way better start and goes to idle way quicker. The cost to plug in for 8 hours is less than a dollar. This was with 5W30 synthetic motor oil.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of a hybrid is that engine starts are powered by the high voltage battery pack rather than by some wimpy 12V battery, so whether it's 70F or -10F (coldest I've ever seen where the car sat outside overnight) engine start is instantaneous. Of course, if you turn the HVAC off, the car will start in EV mode and engine start will not occur until you switch it on or until power demand versus remaining charge is enough to force engine start.

Back