Polish for white car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use Nu Finish, but I'm getting tired of it. The problem is that it's bloody difficult to see after applying it to my car, which is white. I always end up finding small spots I missed days after using it.

So, I went to AZ and looked at Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Looked at the paste version, and it had an obvious non-white color to it. Since I prefer liquids, I bought it in liquid form, assuming it would be the same color as the paste.

Get home, remove seal, and surprise surprise, it's as white as Nu Finish.

So... Is there a relatively inexpensive polish that works as well as these two--that isn't white? Or (half seriously) do I need to add food coloring to this stuff before using it?

I go by feel on a white car, that's the best advice i can give. I didn't take my other advice and have bought a black car and a charcoal since my last one...but yeah, get a thin thin t-shirt and give it that extra effort and you'll be proud of results.

Thanks, but I don't have the time, energy, or patience for that. I want it done. I guess once my stash runs out I'll get Meguiar's Cleaner Wax paste.

i searched on this a bit, and it seems that most detailers recommend Pinnacle Liquid Souveran for white cars...
Not cheap though
frown.gif
BUT from what I have read, you need VERY little of it for a whole car, as it is applied very, very thin..

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pinliqsouvwa.html

The key to doing a white car right is to do a panel at a time and stand back and look it over at an angle, straight on and you can't see the polish, just did my 08 Malibu with Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Wax
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is easy to miss areas on light colored cars. I have a silver car and understand your predicament. The brand doesn't matter, any wax you apply must be applied thin otherwise you are going to have a heck of a time getting it off. I recently purchased a legitimate dual action orbital buffer and now dont worry about missing spots because it is so much faster than applying by hand that I can go over the same areas multiple times to ensure uniform coverage. Also the machine leave a very specific pattern with the wax that good lighting will show.

Just be methodical when you're going over panels with your cloth. Work in a grid pattern, don't skip around, pay close attention to the edges. Give it a good eyeball from a bunch of angles before you move on.

The nice thing about the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is that if you do miss a little, it washes right off with the next washing. I remember when I used NuFinish, I'd still be finding some months later!

I know the angle/light trick, but--I guess it's a personality/nutso thing--I hate having to play games like that. I try the angle/light thing, but still... I always find the stuff afterward.

Before I buy it, can anyone tell me if Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the paste version actually comes out colored? (That is, easy to see over white paint.) Based on what I saw (a weird brownish/orange color IIRC), I'd guess it would have to.

I'm not a man of great energy, and I drive a Hyundai Sonata... People already think I'm nuts for putting synthetic in it...

Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't used too many waxes and sealants but every one i have is difficult to see when applying to light colored cars.

Originally Posted By: glum

So... Is there a relatively inexpensive polish that works as well as these two--that isn't white? Or (half seriously) do I need to add food coloring to this stuff before using it?

There use to be a car wax that came in different colors to match your cars paint. It was a gimmick, and I don't know if it still available. You might still be able to find it at an auto parts store.

I mixed some bluish Turtle Wax with some white cream type carnuba wax. It helps a little, but I need to find something darker for my white paint. I was also thinking about using food color. I am concerned that if I leave some wax with food coloring in the crevices, the die will run on the paint when it gets wet and leave a stain.

If it is that much of a problem for you to actually look and see if you've done a good job then just pay someone to do it. Good Grief!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
If it is that much of a problem for you to actually look and see if you've done a good job then just pay someone to do it. Good Grief!

Wow--such a snarky tone. Are you a lobbyist on behalf of white cars everywhere? Good grief indeed--you'd think I called your kid ugly or something.

Pay someone to wax my car? Yeah, uh... No. It's just one of those things that's not very easy to do, and after spending a long time in 90F+ heat, I don't typically feel like playing games with light to if I've done a good job.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to find an easier way to do things.

I am old fashioned and use good old green Turtle Wax paste. It is fairly hard to see on white, but since its light green it is somewhat possible to see. You do have to have appropriate light no matter what, but I'm happy with the results with Turtle Wax. Makes washing the bugs off the front of my car much easier too!

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: glum

There use to be a car wax that came in different colors to match your cars paint. It was a gimmick, and I don't know if it still available. You might still be able to find it at an auto parts store.

I mixed some bluish Turtle Wax with some white cream type carnuba wax. It helps a little, but I need to find something darker for my white paint. I was also thinking about using food color. I am concerned that if I leave some wax with food coloring in the crevices, the die will run on the paint when it gets wet and leave a stain.

Well, I mixed black food coloring with my wax. It mixed OK, and it was a very dark blackish blue color. When I put it on the car, all the black die went into the applicator pad and the wax on the car looked the same as it did before I added color, so adding food coloring didn't help.

Last edited:
IMO wax does not come with color for a reason. It could be a pain in older cars with some scratches when color gets into the crevices.

i def feel ya on a white car. thats why i like turtle wax ice. its easy to go on/off. and it wont stain trim. as a matter of fact it will bring it back to life. and lasts a while to. it helps to do this in a garage and use some sort of spot light or shop light anything like that can aid in this.

Duragloss 105 is sort of a tan type color.

DP Poli-coat is an off-white that is visible on my mom's pearl white Altima V6. It gives the panels an obvious off white appearance so you know that it is on there. But as others mentioned, feel is the easiest. Claying the car with a moderately aggressive clay before application also helps.

i dont know how much your wanting to spend but i did find this:
http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-light-fantastic-wax.html
http://www.autogeek.net/white-hard-car-wax.html

right now they are buy-one-get-one for $70 w/ free shipping with coupon code "freeship".
the one can, and they recommend, be applied by HAND. both are to be applied by a very thin coat. so each jar would last a long time. i have read nothing but very good reviews on this stuff. i would like to get a jar myself. $35/jar isnt a bad deal. maybe if you could find someone to split it with you then that would help. let me know i may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back