point + shoot cameras

looking to get a $300 + or - point + shoot digital camera that is simple to use + takes decent pics even if NOT held perfectly still. DON't say phone because i still can't figure out how + cheap $$$ like my TCL A-30 requires a steady hand i DO NOT have. want to download to my laptop + wondering if any can send pics like a phone. thanks in advance from an older non tech guy

Many point and shoots have a stabilizer feature to aid when using digital zoom. If you need to use digital zoom you may need a tripod for an unsteady hand. I have an older Canon that I use frequently and does the job for me. I upload my pics to my PC with an external card reader.

I have found the lens is what makes the camera and is the most important feature.

I'm in the same boat. I would like a point + shoot that takes pictures the same quality as an iPhone without buying the iPhone.

Phones are using software crutches to improve pictures, including camera shake. Not sure if that software is making it into P&S cameras.

Please take a look at the link before making any judgments. I'm a serious amateur photographer running pro bodies (Z9) and pro lenses worth more than I'll admit too. 2019 IIR I needed a lightweight yet a serious solution for long distance hikes and steep snow/ice work and a general family shot camera.

I'm a long term Nikon shooter and really not a fan of Sony color spectrum nor ergonomics. This little guy delivers like a big time camera and the video is solid as well. Pic below is from a New Orleans dim lit bar Dec 2019. I was a little "shakey" if you know what I mean. I can send you a video (PM me) of Saints game in the dome with pyro etc...that shows the video ability.

Negative is the consequence of the diminutive size; small operational buttons. And $$ of course.

DSC00730.JPG

You can buy a used phone and not put it onto the cell network. I have been quite happy with my phone. I hated it at first, but company policy is to disable usb ports, no downloading pics from the phone. But now I just write an email, put in a subject line, and send the photos. Easy to file as necessary. I do this several times per week.

Maybe the new cameras have wifi?

Good luck, I’m sure the point ans shoot cameras are better, just pointing out what I think is a feature I can’t live without.

I have a small P&S Samsung that is very easy to pack and has shake software . and we have a Kodak larger one that take great video and pictures. Most times now we just use our Motorola G power and have the phone save all video and picture to a memory card. The Motorola has you just shake to get the camera and pictures are really unbelievable.

Please take a look at the link before making any judgments. I'm a serious amateur photographer running pro bodies (Z9) and pro lenses worth more than I'll admit too. 2019 IIR I needed a lightweight yet a serious solution for long distance hikes and steep snow/ice work and a general family shot camera.

I'm a long term Nikon shooter and really not a fan of Sony color spectrum nor ergonomics. This little guy delivers like a big time camera and the video is solid as well. Pic below is from a New Orleans dim lit bar Dec 2019. I was a little "shakey" if you know what I mean. I can send you a video (PM me) of Saints game in the dome with pyro etc...that shows the video ability.

Negative is the consequence of the diminutive size; small operational buttons. And $$ of course.

View attachment 137322
That's a far cry from $300!!!

That's a far cry from $300!!!

B&H about $800.....I took liberty on the + sign used after the $300. If you want to stay around $300 just use the phone and deal with the in-phone software corrections. Unless waterproof/rugged floats your boat; if yes then this one is a solid choice BUT can't hold a candle to the little Sony.

Oh, your not op. Easy then, don't buy.

Photography is one of my-far too many-hobbies but one I enjoy tremendously. In addition to film, my main camera is fairly high end(Nikon D850) and 75% of the time it's paired with a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens(and I have other f/2.8 zooms and a bunch of fast primes to use with it).

To be honest, I'm not impressed with inexpensive P&S offerings these days. The high end ones-specifically the Sony RX cameras-are incredible but they're a lot past that price point. The inexpensive end of the market has been shoved out by smartphones, which are pretty darn good these days.

$300 is not far off from the price point of a Nikon or Canon starter DSLR kit, especially from somewhere like Sams or Costco. Even though DSLRs are sort of on their way out, I'd consider one a MUCH better investment than a low end P&S. That also opens you up to whole world of lenses to expand the horizons/capabilities of your basic camera, and with the push away from DSLRs, the market if flooded with a lot of used equipment at bargain prices.

Size does matter, or more specifically sensor size. Even really good P&S cameras tend to have 1" sensors which are ~13mmx9mm. Low end P&S cameras tend to have smaller sensors. Post of the entry level DSLRs are ~16x24mm(APS-C format). Larger sensors tend to mean less noise("cleaner" looking images), better low light sensitivity, and more dynamic range. Of course there are some nuances to these, and often times moderate pixel count sensors outperform higher count ones all being equal, but that's still a good general rule.

That's just my take, though.

after a lot of reading i ordered a Sony DSC-HX99, a bit more than i intended to spend @ about $500 but with todays price gouging spending more was prolly necessary! the canon digital i had was great BUT the Duracell batteries leaked + corroded off the battery contacts so no WORKIE anymore. it was EZE to download pics with the free photobucket tears ago as well as posting on forums the reason i bought it. my choice looks to be NOT to hard to use HOPEFULLY!!

the sony has wifi + other good features + most of all a camera with "shake technology" is best for my unsteady hand! my dead canon worked well + easily downed to my lappy via a cable!!

the sony has wifi + other good features + most of all a camera with "shake technology" is best for my unsteady hand! my dead canon worked well + easily downed to my lappy via a cable!!
I think you made a great choice in what you were looking for. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it. I myself find it quite interesting as I am torn sometimes making choices on what to take if I want something more than my iPhone 13 camera.
I have a Nikon DSLR it's not giant but enough to make me rethink taking it.

The Sony camera you chose will blow away any and all photos from any cell phone. Not even close can a cell phone take telephoto shots like that Sony will be able to do. So ignore the naysayers, you did good.

Back