Pneumatic Die Grinder

I have always used the high speed ones, I do mostly rust removal, edge clean up of sheet metal before welding, hub cleaning, etc. For low rpm things like pinstripe removal and small wire wheels I use a cordless drill, for larger knotted wire wheels, flap disc and large cutoff wheels a corded 4" angle grinder with 5/8 thread.

1-2" disc size is fine for type of tool for larger 3" you need a larger .6 HP unit but I never have much use for that size. I use Norton or 3M disc but have got some from Empire that so far have been doing a good job and last a lot longer than cheap ebay and Amazon stuff. Do use a holder from 3M, they last and are well made.

I'm partial to IR and this one only needs one wrench to change the wheel.

61Z8rvlhUsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I read some years ago that the Germans and Japanese invested a lot in steel mills for tool steel and stainless. I guess they were looking ahead at the up and coming Asian market.

There are tons of options out there, I used to work where my angle grinder was my main tool and finding one that fit best was key. Maybe this is a bit much but I recommend making note of what you want from it... There are different body sizes which can affect how easy it is to maneuver, where it exhausts from, if the motor is on the head or in the body, does it have adjustable power levels.... I tried some very expensive ones to very cheap... I found I prefer slimmer body exhaust through the head to keep debris off my work surface so I can see what I am grinding, motor in the body so it doesn't push the grinder farther away ( I use my hands to help guide, so when the motor was in the head/direct drive pushed it too far away to control precisely) and not adjustable, preferred to just use throttle control rather than a dial. Knowing this narrows down the list.

I have the Aircat 6200 straight die grinder, and the Chicago Pneumatic CPT875 right angle mini die grinder. The Aircat doesn't have the annoying flipper paddle and is easier to control RPM. The CPT875 really rips for such a little tool, and can get in tight spots. Either will keep my hi capacity 60gallon pump busy, but can't run it down (at my personal duty cycle.)

There are other good choices on the market.

If I want low speed to avoid tools coming apart at 20K RPM, I have a $13 Central Pneumatic (HF) 52848 unit kicking around somewhere. It'll never make 20K RPM, even with a head start and a tail wind.

I have no experience with the Chief, I'm sure it's a better tool than the sub-$20 Central Pneumatic's.

Back