Plumbing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
One more dumb question. The wax seal. Are they all the same? Or are there different sizes?

Use an Oatey wax ring OR a Fernco FTS-3 wax-free seal. There are different sizes, but just measure yours beforehand.

The wax seals are all the same diameter, but have different thicknesses.

They also have a reinforced wax ring with a rubber insert that helps prevent leaks. I used this on the last toilet in my house I had to reset, it works well.

There are a few other options out now as well besides wax. One is a foam one (I tried it once, did not work, started leaking in a year) and some rubber ones with a thick foam gasket. I just used one of these on my mother in laws toilet, will see how it works.
I

Originally Posted by Kruse
One more dumb question. The wax seal. Are they all the same? Or are there different sizes?

Use an Oatey wax ring OR a Fernco FTS-3 wax-free seal. There are different sizes, but just measure yours beforehand.

Where do I measure it at? Its all shredded.

The choice of seal depends on the floor flange installation. The "normal" installation is for the floor flange to sit on TOP of the finished floor. For this, you use one standard thickness wax ring. If the flange sits flush or below the finished floor, there are many options to achieve a good seal: various wax seal thickness and/or combinations or waxless seals. Waxless seals allow you to reposition the toilet while wax does not (make a mistake, start over). The half-dozen waxless seal brands have pros and cons. My visits to the professional and pro/diy plumbing sites ( https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php = superb) indicate that the pros "almost" exclusively prefer wax seals and use the waxless for problem situations (IMO). They mostly prefer plain wax and not the embellished (better?) ones. The one exception is using two wax rings to seal a very low floor flange. In this case they use one plastic horned wax ring combined with one regular wax ring. Otherwise, they tend not to like horned wax rings or wax rings with foam inside (KISS). Just my observations.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The horned one (for low floor flange only) goes on top of the plain one to help keep them aligned : https://terrylove.com/forums/index....w-much-pressure-should-be-applied.61073/ Set shims BEFORE final install.

Last edited:
When we were bringing our plumbing up to spec we found a few problems. There was some rot around one of the toilet bases along with 3 stacked wax seals. The plumber said he'd seen 2 seals before but never 3. The consensus was that it was a miracle it hadn't leaked, or at least hadn't leaked recently. So they raised the base and put in a single seal. Another toilet had 2 seals. They raised the base for it too and put in a single seal. The third toilet (which wasn't even in our review area) was fine. But we had to check it considering what we had found on the other two.

Glad you retrieved glasses. When the kids were little, I'd keep a spare wax seal on hand. Dad once rescued Mum's wedding ring.
grin2.gif

Last edited:

Inside diameter of drain pipe. Pretty sure Wally World handles the Fernco wax-free toilet seal. It has a good picture on the side of the box. You MIGHT have a 4" pipe, but it's not as common in a residential setup.

The Korky 6010 wax-free toilet seal will work on 3" or 4". 'Merican-made, last I checked!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Danno
Zenni optical if you need to get new glasses. Been buying through them for at least 15 years.

They take weeks to arrive!

I've found them to be hit or miss--but cheap enough that I don't care. I fudged a PD measurement on the last set and wound up not liking the pair. Still. The sunglasses I've gotten have been just fine.

I think I'll still buy a good pair locally when my prescription changes but any spares will be cheapos that I don't mind tossing if problems arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back