Plugged A Tire Yesterday.

Plugging a sidewall might work for awhile, but? A tire is somewhat like a simple balloon. If you stick a pin in it, it will blow up. but if you put a piece of tape on it and stick a pin through the tape, it will not blow up. A tire patch works the same way, because it holds the area around the hole together. A plug isn't much better than just leaving a nail, or screw in the tire.

How are those safety seal ropes different than the basic stuff you get at any auto store? Also how does it compare to the mushroom type of plugs?

Driving on a plugged tire is like drinking and driving: there's the right way to do it, and then there's the way everyone does it, until they have to stop doing it that way.

Plugging a TireDrinking and Driving
only a temporary fix and should not be driven on for longNo alcohol should be consumed before driving a car
most folks will drive on a plugged tire as long as the tire holds airmost folks will drive after drinking as long as they don't feel impaired
some folks drive tens of thousands of miles on plugged tiressome folks never get arrested for DUI
some folks have the plugged tire go bad and then come around to the foldsome folks get popped for DUI and then come around to the fold

either way, most folks that start out on one side of the issue will never come around to the fold until something bad happens that forces them to change their minds on the subject, and all the talk and preaching in the world won't get them to come around any sooner.

I'd probably replace the tire too. I wouldn't want to use it as a spare because if it failed as a spare and the other tire was already flat you're going to be stuck with having to have someone bring you a spare or having the car towed because of simple flat tire. A tow is going to likely cost you more than a new tire. I plug my own tires too and have never had but one plug fail. The one that failed was on a larger hole one time when I was on a road trip. I plugged it and a few miles down the road it blew the plug out. The tire was replaced when I got back home.

Driving on a plugged tire is like drinking and driving: there's the right way to do it, and then there's the way everyone does it, until they have to stop doing it that way.

Plugging a TireDrinking and Driving
only a temporary fix and should not be driven on for longNo alcohol should be consumed before driving a car
most folks will drive on a plugged tire as long as the tire holds airmost folks will drive after drinking as long as they don't feel impaired
some folks drive tens of thousands of miles on plugged tiressome folks never get arrested for DUI
some folks have the plugged tire go bad and then come around to the foldsome folks get popped for DUI and then come around to the fold

either way, most folks that start out on one side of the issue will never come around to the fold until something bad happens that forces them to change their minds on the subject, and all the talk and preaching in the world won't get them to come around any sooner.

That is...weapon-grade stupid. There is no other word for it.

That is...weapon-grade stupid. There is no other word for it.

I wanted to use the table element in a reply, and that’s what I came up with.

I like the option of putting tables in posts. I’ll have to come up with more ways to utilize them.

Next up - Dirty Wheel Wells: Why They are Ugly and How They Indicate Onboard Criminality

I wanted to use the table element in a reply, and that’s what I came up with.

I like the option of putting tables in posts. I’ll have to come up with more ways to utilize them.

Next up - Dirty Wheel Wells: Why They are Ugly and How They Indicate Onboard Criminality
Are you on crack?

Are you on crack?
Heavens no. I’ve never tried it, but I can’t imagine participating in automotive forum discussions would be high on my list of things to do if I were under the influence of crack.

No, Whitney Houston was right I’m afraid, crack is definitely whack.

But mushrooms, oh mushrooms...if I were 20 years younger and devoid of any responsibilities, I’d most certainly do some more mushrooms.

I could see me wanting to participate in long philosophical discussions on all things automotive if I were ‘shroomin’, but if I were under their influence, I’d never be able to type well enough to convey even the simplest of points unfortunately.

But I digest...

No drugs, legal or illegal. This is just me, plain_ole_me. o_O

Sorry, been working & such. It’s been almost a month. I’ve been watching that tire like a hawk watches a mouse. It does not lose even 1 psi.

Yes, I do realize what the ‘book answer’ is, thank you. For right now it’s just fine.

No (typed) judgement either way, but it’s on the rear, right?

My wife's tire got a roofing nail in the sidewall/tread area a year or so ago and not one place would repair/touch it. New tire was required even though the tire only had around 25,000 kms. Just saying.

Attachments

• WP_20181111_14_14_10_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20181111_14_14_10_Pro (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 35
The only for sure safe thing to do is replace that tire. However, back in the day, (2000s) Michelin had specifications for sidewall repairs. I believe it had to be a very small puncture like less than 1/8" round puncture could be patched with the small plug patch. Of course no tire shops would actually do the repair. It did speak volumes to me about the quality of the Michelin sidewalls. That, and how they felt so much stronger than other tires while mounting them. Then they would balance like butter.

Sorry, been working & such. It’s been almost a month. I’ve been watching that tire like a hawk watches a mouse. It does not lose even 1 psi.

Yes, I do realize what the ‘book answer’ is, thank you. For right now it’s just fine.

Mr Joe, the tire plug will work fine for a while. If you plan on really hot summer driving then simply remove the tire and instal a plug/patch combo. Unfortunately most tire shops will not repair it due to liability. It is a safe repair though. I have done rope repairs in that same area that have lasted the life of the tread.

Yes, it’s currently on the driver’s side rear, eventually a rotation will be in order. There will be more turning forces on the front I recon. Seems to me it would be more likely to leak air than have a blowout, when/if a problem develops.

My truck currently has two different makes of tires front & back, same size, Chev 4x4. I have been known to put only 2 Winter tires on a vehicle. I realize undesirable things ‘could’ happen, even when the likelihood is very low.

I saw a Cherokee at the Target lot the other day, two tires <15 psi by the looks, no one around to tell. seems worse than my plugged but hawked tire.

I've plugged my own tires on numerous occasions and exactly where the OP shows, never had a problem in tens of thousands of miles and I plugged on tired designed in the 1980s way back when too!

Back