please school me on a budget m1911 45acp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to try a 1911 without spending a fortune and read good things about the Phillipine made guns. I got an ATI Firepower xtreme Commander for $370 from Bud's. After replacing the extractor which cost me $12, I find it shoots any [censored] ammo I put through it. I bought 5 stainless surplus Checkmate mags for $70 from Joe's magmania. My only regret is not paying a few more bucks for at very least, Novak sights. Iron sights on a 1911 get the job done but why settle for basic when better is only a few $$ more.

BillT wrote about everything I would have, and I agree with his post.

Home defense, on a budget, and conceal carry, all for $400? A heavy 1911 that's too cumbersome and heavy, gets left at home most of the time. If you want a conceal carry, then buy a compact modern polymer gun. If you want home defense, then buy a long gun. A $250 pump shotgun is superior to any handgun for home defense.

If you REALLY want a state compliant .45ACP, then get a Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 in .45ACP. Ten rounds in a very reliable package.

I'm having a bit of an issue with cheap cost equating to lack of reliability with 1911's. The opposite is more likely to be true. Cheap 1911's, like the lower end Rock Island's, Springfield, Remington, and even Colt Mil-Spec Models are made looser, and to wider, more open tolerances. They have to be in order to minimize fitting and assembly time to keep costs down.

In 1911's loose generally means better, more dependable functioning and reliability. It's why the G.I. issue guns ran so well. They were as loosely fit as a box of rocks. They were just horribly inaccurate as a result. When you start getting into the custom guns that are fit by hand, is where you start having FTF's and FTE's. At least until those guns are very well broken in. Even then they have to be kept spotless and very well lubricated at regular intervals, or else feeding and ejecting issues will start.

That isn't something that can be tolerated in a self defense carry weapon. So if I felt I simply must carry a 1911 pistol for self defense. I would choose a loose fitting, lower cost gun. Not a high end, tight fitting Les Baer that can group 2" at 50 yards off a rest.

thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. my quest for a 1911 is mostly to scratch an itch. i have home defense and ccw otherwise well covered otherwise, but a budget 1911 that could be used for these jobs in addition to range work is my goal. it seems that the philippine made 1911s fit the bill. cheers.

Just had my 1911 Colt on the range Tuesday. Box stock. No modifications. Nice trigger, great fun to shoot. I think every “gun guy” should have one. Good luck. Report back with what you get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back