please recommend oil for 2 of my cars! Hemi +1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive done some searching and cant find any threads with the same questions i'm going to ask. i apologize for another "recommended oil" thread, so please dont scald me
smile.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------
first is my 2009 Challenger with a 5.7 hemi 6 speed manual and NO mds:

-the car gets driven about 2500 miles a year, but driven HARD and drag raced occasionally

-9800 miles on it now, all with Mobil1 Synthetic 5w20

-i drain the oil at the end of every year before putting it away

i'm thinking on switching over to Amsoil signature series because i find myself adding a bit of oil to the car every once and a while, not a lot, but that may be due to me hammering on it
smile.gif
. a few guys i know that run it in their mustangs say it doesnt burn off (or whatever its doing). i do have an oil catch can on it, and its does catch oil in it but not enough to explain the amount i have to add.

what do you guys think? remember, i'm changing oil at the end of every year and put less than 3000 miles (hard miles) on it each summer/fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------

2nd car i need recommend oil for is my new daily driver. a 2013 dodge dart with a 1.4 turbo/6 speed manual:

-the manual recommends Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro blend. are there any other oils that are equal to that? i'm having a hard time finding it in stores near me. it says it meets some chrysler standard that i'm assuming is said because chrysler is using Pennzoil now instead of Mobil?

-the car gets driven normally and not beat on like my challenger but will see many more miles
smile.gif

thanks for any pointers guys! you are the only site i will trust when it comes to this kind of info!

Last edited:
I think you've got a good plan with the Challenger right now the way it is. I wouldn't change anything there. You've got a good synthetic in there that offers great protection for the harsh driving conditions the car sees. I doubt Amsoil will reduce consumption considering the conditions and if you're only going to run for 2500 miles or so, I think the Signature Series wouldn't be a good fit. If you were wanting to try another oil, PP 5w-20 would be another great oil to try if you wanted to.

I'd suspect that the oil consumption is because the car is driven hard, and not due to the oil that you're running.

The Dart does require an oil that meets MS-10896, which is pretty much just Pennzoil or the Mopar MS-10896. You should be able to get either at your local Dodge dealer.

Outside of that, you'd be using an oil that doesn't meet their standards and would put your warranty at risk. Having said that, I'd suspect Mobil 1 0w-40, GC 0-30, and maybe even Rotella T6 would all do the job just fine, just wouldn't meet warranty/Dodge requirements.

At one time there was a thread on here as to how to contact Pennzoil directly and they will send the 5w-40 Euro-blend via ups. Can one of our members connect him to this info? FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
At one time there was a thread on here as to how to contact Pennzoil directly and they will send the 5w-40 Euro-blend via ups. Can one of our members connect him to this info? FWIW--Oldtommy

I tried a few weeks ago. They aren't giving it away for free anymore.

I think your plan for the Challenger is a good one, or you could go with Redline or Royal Purple XPS. All good oils.

For the Dart, I don't know enough about those yet other than to say "use what keeps it under warranty." I'd go with either Mobil 1 or SOPUS synthetic oils (current Chrysler factory fill oils), just personal preferences. The MultiAir system is a bit like the older Navistar diesels in that it uses engine oil to do Very Important Things (tm) other than just lubricate. The Navistars used it to fire the fuel injectors. In the MultiAir, oil opens the valves, and releasing oil from a reservoir closes the valves. Timing, obviously, is critical and depends on oil flow. Pretty neat system, but I wouldn't stray TOO far from factory specs on viscosity.

So what do you think of the Dart so far?

thanks for the pointers and links everyone!

i'll use the Pennzoil for the Dart and stay with M1 in my Challenger.

magnum440, i am loving the Dart so far! Chrysler really did their homework and really refined this car. quality feel, super quiet inside, soft touch interior, excellent handling really make this a fun car...especially with the manual and little turbo!

Originally Posted By: mjf6866

magnum440, i am loving the Dart so far! Chrysler really did their homework and really refined this car. quality feel, super quiet inside, soft touch interior, excellent handling really make this a fun car...especially with the manual and little turbo!

I test drove the 6-speed Rallye a couple months ago. Nice car. The driving feel reminded me of my '99 Neon R/T i had in high school. Gosh that was such a fun car...

That's great. Ever since they got out from under the iron thumb of Daimler, Chrysler has really made some strides. Getting rid of the spartan, dark, cold, hard surface, Teutonic interiors is only one aspect. Car magazines still criticize the Avenger and 200, and somewhat rightly since they are warmed-over JA chassis cars, but frankly I'm even more impressed that they made an almost-20-year-old chassis THAT much better in a single years' re-work.

I like what I've seen of the Dart, and really want to get behind the wheel. But I'm not a fan of FWD. If I ever get one, it'll have to be an AWD unless its my wife's primary car.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

That's great. Ever since they got out from under the iron thumb of Daimler, Chrysler has really made some strides. Getting rid of the spartan, dark, cold, hard surface, Teutonic interiors is only one aspect. Car magazines still criticize the Avenger and 200, and somewhat rightly since they are warmed-over JA chassis cars, but frankly I'm even more impressed that they made an almost-20-year-old chassis THAT much better in a single years' re-work.

I like what I've seen of the Dart, and really want to get behind the wheel. But I'm not a fan of FWD. If I ever get one, it'll have to be an AWD unless its my wife's primary car.

i agree. daimler almost killed them off out of neglect. i'm actually surprised that the Challenger was allowed to be produced given that the green light for that car was while they were still under their control. i'm extremely happy with the quality on both the Challenger and Dart. I'm a born mopar guy, but i was still a bit hesitant after hearing how people ripped them apart a few years back. i'm glad i still went with them though. both cars have exceeded my expectations!

another quick question i have....

seeing how i have such short OCIs for the Challenger, would there be any difference if i were to use M1 vs PP vs Amsoil? from what i gathered from reading other threads, its the longevity performance of each oil that is whats really different between them all for the most part, right?

i get hung up on wanting the overall best performing and protecting oil for that car and cost isnt an issue.

Nice pair of cars.

Note that my 6.1 never uses a drop of oil, even at the track. Yours may have been broken in too easy, perhaps the usage will decline with age.

I'd get me some M1 0w-40 and run it in both of them. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Nice pair of cars.

I'd get me some M1 0w-40 and run it in both of them. Enjoy!

+1

Thanks guys!

SteveSRT8, I very well may have broken her in too easy. It was my first brand new car and I didn't know the proper break in method. Will that work it's way out on its own or am I screwed? I'm not adding a lot of oil, maybe a quarter of a quart all summer and fall of running her hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back