Please Rate the Bosch 7" Round E-Code Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. A popular VW parts web-site (www.busdepot.com) has a pair of the e-code Bosch housings selling for $45/pair. I believe these lamp housings are a good price for the cost. I think they fit in the middle of the spectrum, between the top tier Cibie's from Daniel Stern and the low end lamps like Autopals. Do you agree? The busdepot also has the standard H4 bulb for less than $5 each!
My daily driver '74 VW bug needs to replace the cheapos I had in there as I rolled into the back of a Lexus and damaged my car. It looks like I am the victim of an insurance scam with immigrants here in LA, but that's another story.
Bill

Cibie's headlight housing are top notch and their price reflects that. Bosch is a big German company, their products are generally from good to excellent, I think you will not get a bad headlight housing from Bosch, and for $45 a pair I think it is much better value than you can get at local stores.

That is such a great price. Get them before they are gone. They are actually well above the middle of the spectrum....

I owned an autopal 5" circle and think THAT was the bee's knees. Your bosches can only be better.

I love those headlights. Great pattern, great illumination, good price.

I generally purchase "real" PIAA 80-80 H4 bulbs for them (not the 55=80 junk they sell now) . They are hard to find, but work really well in those e-codes.

Used them in my Miata for years. I've not come across a car with better lights yet! HID or otherwise.

They are great, you will notice a big difference as compared to regular sealed beams. The sharp cutoff takes some getting used to, especially when the road dips. That's a good price. Hella also makes a nice set (the true "E codes", not the Vision Plus).

Don't go too crazy w/ wattages if you have the stock harness.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I intend on getting them and using the sylvania xtravision standard wattage bulbs. I've had the cheapo's and they are damaged but the bulbs still work. I had performed a voltage drop when the seal beams were being used and have fixed the +2v drop with an added harness and relays, so I'm set once I fix the body damage. Thanks again, Bill.

Back when Bugs were imported with 6V systems and covers on the headlights they weren't much better than a flashlight, especially in bad weather. Part of that was because the US Bugs got mingy 6V sealed beams instead of the bulb and reflector European version. The advent of H4 replacements sold in the US was a wonderful thing for pre 67 Bug owners.
BTW there was quite a battle at the time to make H4 lampsets legal here. Much P&M from the government "regulators" about the "danger" of these lights, while, of course they were legal in Canada, and REQUIRED in Europe. Bleepin government safety Nazis. Massachusetts, as I recall, legalized their use instate when "somebody" gave the Speaker of the Massachusetts House a bootleg set for his Caddy. Of course the Federal "safety" boys were still ticketing semi drivers for years afterwoods until the lamps became legal on a Federal level. Give 'em a ticket for trying to see at night. Great!

BTW my last post should not be considered to be in support of the beauties who insert HID bulb sets into headlight assemblies designed for filament bulbs. Dan Stern Lighting.com has the word on THAT ricer foolishness.

Last edited:
Thanks HerrStig for the trip down memory lane. I still see and hear of 6v vw's and 356's running around. Some of the vintage people still sell the "true" european headlite assy for about $225-250gpair. And I totally agree with your post on the trash junk floating around. I really like the Dan Stern site and bought the 7" Cibie's with bulbs, relays, etc for my VW Bus, for when I upgrade the wiring. Thanks again, Bill.

Back when I had a '71 Volvo 142E (injection and overdrive) I had a set of Marshall "Ampilux" 7 inchers, obtained under the most dubious of circumstances, long before even H4s were legal here. They were unique in that inside the lamp were two reflectors, one for high and one for low, and they used H1 bulbs. If you look at photos of endurance racers from the 60'a and 70's you can often see those lamps installed. They were really good, especially with 100 watt H1's in the high beams. They could be wired to run BOTH high and low at once - which you can't do with an H4. I still have them, pitted and a bit rusty, but not a car in sight to put them in. Probably the best headlight system going, though, is the the four 5&3/4 inch system BMW used as a trademark for years. The European versions of that system really work and each one can be aimed without disturbing the other three. Some Peugeot 504s made it HERE with a 5&3/4 clear spot high beam on the driver's side. Not bad during those days.

BTW 6 Volt bug owners, you CAN buy a 6 volt H4 bulb easlily enough so you can convert to good lamps. The bulb/reflector assembly is the same, 6 or 12, and the bulb uses the standard 3 pin socket which also fits the sealed beams of the era. You can also buy a halogen upgrade for the strange replaceable bulb in lots of Japanese motorcycles up to the early 80's.

HerrStig, nice, thanks for the "reflection" on the vintage good ole days. I remember seeing the Marchal Amplilux lamps on cars around SoCal and in the old mags like Sports Car Graphic, Road and Track, and Car and Driver. I believe the glass cover Bosch lamps for the 911 were either the H4 or the dual H1's.
I am really impressed with the adjustability you described with the older designs. One would think as todays cars have gotten so improved with handling and overall performance, but lamps haven't. I know the USA DOT's politics is probably at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back