please help w/ oil cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i wanna add on oil cooler to the jeep before it gets hot out. Its a 4.0L in a TJ (newer wrangler). Ive looked on Jegs and carparts and summit but im not sure which adapter i need and what would be the best route to go. Would a sandwich adapter and small cooler work? What size adapter, what size lines, what size cooler? Please give me insight. Thanx

Choose the sandwich adapter to match your oil filter base and thread, or buy Perma-Cool's universal adapter.

Perma-Cool also has a 180°F thermostat valve so your cold oil bypasses the cooler until it needs to be cooled. You don't want your oil to be cold any longer than necessary--your oil needs to be normally warm, and 180-190 is good. You'll want the thermostat with the 3/8" NPT ports to fit the ends on 1/2" I.D. hose. (The sandwich adapter also has 3/8" NPT ports.)

Permacool talks about using their 180° thermostat for a transmission cooler, but I'd prefer Hayden's 160° thermostat for ATF.

You might wait on the hoses. Have them made at a local shop after you get the cooler mounted so you get the length just right. Be sure to use good high pressure hydraulic hose and fittings, no push-on fittings or hose clamps.

Can't help you on cooler size. What size cooler would fit in a spot with good air flow?

Ken

I can't really add much more to Ken's excellent response.

A thermostat is MANDATORY. No sense at all trying to a) push cold (relatively more viscous) oil through the cooler b) overcooling the oil.

The stock OC adapter on my Volvo turbo begins to open at 165°F and is fully open at 195°F so 180°F seems like a good number.

Yes buy good hoses locally. Size does matter, but as Ken sez: Find the location first....

Another reason for an oil cooler (and remote as well) more oil volume, which I think is always a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back