Plastigage in frame

Ok, I found a manual that said how to PG a main in frame.
(.010 shin under adjacent, lower shells - to over come gravity effect.)
Anyone have tips on doing rods in frames?
(I'm concerned PG will smash before piston is pulled down.)

Also, I understand that when fitting odd (maybe 1/2) sizes to have all the upper mains the same size - any mismatches to lower main caps.
Concur?

And for rods with 1/2 sizes - odd upper or lower or doesn't matter?

Your ok as long as all the other mains are torqued with inserts in place. undersized bearing in the block if using just the half. Rods doesn’t matter. Curious why you are checking the clearances? Knocking or low pressure?

Your ok as long as all the other mains are torqued with inserts in place. undersized bearing in the block if using just the half. Rods doesn’t matter. Curious why you are checking the clearances? Knocking or low pressure?
+1
How did the bearings that came out look?

I'm working rods now, 1,2,3 out so far.
Trying to be methodical for DIY at home.
Rod journals not scored, but worn, bearings showing copper centers with aluminum edges.
I think I got it in time!

(This happens to be a 1999 150k Dodge 5.9 Magnum. Oil changes have been religious, but numerous plenum failures over time. Did heads 2 years ago - exhaust manifold studs broke off, seats cracked, cheapest fix was EQ replacement. Seemed reliable enough after to go after an occasional oil light. Back edge of block and pickup tube had sludgy crystals. As much trouble as pickup was, I'm refreshing bearings while in it.)

Back