Placebo effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a brain spasm when reading another vehicular discussion referring to the placebo effect, and realised (I have used it) hat the term is wrong, particularly with the seat of the pants dydno.

Placebo effect explains actual healing that has taken place in the absence of the active treatment being tested...not perceived feeling better, but actual cure/remission etc.

Not sure that the "placebo effect" can be used in automotive discussion when the patient (vehicle) is given the active product, and the results may be real or imaginary...mayeb we ought to start calling it the allopathic effect

In a lot of cases, "placebo effect" refers to perceived lessening of pain, reduction of depression, etc., and in such cases the results may or may not be "real".

For example, I once read that in the very lucrative field of anti-depression medication, many promising new medications never make it to the market because they perform no better than a placebo.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
we ought to start calling it the allopathic effect

I see what you did there
wink.gif

It's not imaginary - a noisy exhaust really does increase HP, and makes everyone envious of your car, or motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back