Pixel 6 Pro first impressions

Got the new Pixel 6 Pro the other day. It's replacing my Pixel 3 XL. It's the same width and maybe 3/8" longer. Bigger cut out for the cameras.

The first thing I noticed is the fingerprint reader is not on the back but rather a round area of the front display glass. Now you use your thumb vs index finger. Although I guess you could still use your index finger.

Obviously it's a new phone so the battery will last longer. Security updates for 3 years.

Aside from that nothing else jumps out at me.

But I will update as I use it and discover new features.

Still not as big as my Nexus 6.

I have a Pixel 3a XL. It was less than $200.00. For the price point it's one of the best performing phones I have had. And I have had the Samsungs, etc. Google brands a good phone.

Yea-I know privacy issues....I don't want to hear it.

ATT gave me a $350 trade in on my 3A and wifey's 3XL. That's 3 generations old.
So I make payments of $15 per month for 3 years, for each new phone.
I am a cheapskate, but I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

My favorite phone was my Microsoft phone, which had maybe 1% of the market. I've had high end Samsungs from work, but never really cared for them.

I was going to trade in my pixel 4a 5g on a 6pro for 300$ trade in (paid 190$ for the 4a 5g last year)
but delivery went from nov 6 to dec 15 to jan 2 so I canceled.

Might as well wait for black friday sales now and the 4a 5g to pixel 6 (non-pro) is sorta MEH.

It would be nice if they would do triple trade in with pixel 3 again.. still have one to trade in.

I've got the Pixel 4a and love it. I only paid $300 for it. It still runs fast as ever and does everything I want. Battery life is good and it charges super fast. I have also had high end Samsungs but hated the bloatware like NFL and others. Plus, the Samsungs always started slowing down after a year.

I'm probably going to hold out for the 5a. I like how inexpensive the Pixel a's are. If I break one up and buy a new one I'm still out less money than a single flagship. And the cameras are simply incredible.

Trading in my Pixel 4 on a Regular pixel 6. Don't need the pro. (have had the 6 for a couple days, Trade-in kit hasn't arrived yet. Getting $144 for the P4)
The 4 was perfectly fine for the last couple years, until about 2 months ago, when it suddenly stopped a) Wireless Charging, b) Contactless payments.
then, after ordering the 6, the back panel started separating from the body of the 4. (Almost as if t was designed to last 2 yrs)

at first, the pixel 4 was a fine phone, and it always was, functionally... my problems were with the design. (lack of Front facing stereo speakers, Battery capacity smaller than the phone it replaced, and no fingerprint reader)
it replaced a Pixel 2 that was probably my fav. phone so far, but it developed a problem with the Charge port, and cables wouldn't stay connected.
when i switched to the 4, okay, no Finger Print, 100% Fancy Face unlock, fine. then 2 months later the pandemic hits, and we had to wear masks everywhere. and google never came up with a workaround to make Face Unlock work with masks...

so Yay Fingerprint sensor on the P6! I can pay with my phone again! and Charge Wirelessly! YAY!
even the standard 6 is WELL larger than the 4. (the 4 in a case, fits within the case for the 6), but it doesn't seem to be obnoxiously large, at least not yet.

Can't Comment on 5g, as it's not available around here.

I ordered the Unlocked 6 direct from Google, even though I'm a VZW customer, because the when i tried to order the Verizon specific phone,(for an extra $100) there came a point where the google store asks you to sign into your verizon account. every time i tried (using their link) i just ended up on the home/landing page of my verizon account, and nothing further happened.
so I switched to the Unlocked, order went right through.

no mmWave antenna, so I won't be able to use Verizon's Ultra Wide Band 5G, which is currently only running in parts of Large Cities. ( decidedly NOT where I spend 95%+ of my time) has the antennas for the Sub 6 networks the other carriers (and Verizon outside the aforementioned areas) but as I mentioned, said tech is not available in my area, and I doubt they will be any time in the next 2-3 yrs.

Last edited:
I have only ever had androids since 2010. My last phone was a pixel 3a. Earlier this year I made the switch to iPhone as everyone seems to claim its the best thing since sliced bread and I couldn't get a clear answer on what OS I would like better. Wow was I blown away at how dumb iOS feels. I really felt like I have gone back in time. It feels like a really good feature phone. There are quite a few things I like about iOS but overall my daily ease of productivity has plummeted with iOS. Its much harder to check emails and reply to texts among other things. I find android did a lot for me that I manually have to do on iOS. I'm quite excited for the pixel 6 pro and it will be nice to see what the pixel 7 will be about. It will be interesting to see how the iPhone 14 competes.

I'm probably going to hold out for the 5a.

I had the 4a and just got the 5a. I liked the 4a in every way but the larger screen of the 5a is helpful for old eyes. So far it has been faultless but the 4a fit my hand & pocket better. Can't have it all I guess. I will say that the whopper battery will easily last two full days the way I use the phone.

The Pixel 6 phones are a bit too expensive for me so the 5a fit the bill.

I have only ever had androids since 2010. My last phone was a pixel 3a. Earlier this year I made the switch to iPhone as everyone seems to claim its the best thing since sliced bread and I couldn't get a clear answer on what OS I would like better. Wow was I blown away at how dumb iOS feels. I really felt like I have gone back in time. It feels like a really good feature phone. There are quite a few things I like about iOS but overall my daily ease of productivity has plummeted with iOS. Its much harder to check emails and reply to texts among other things. I find android did a lot for me that I manually have to do on iOS. I'm quite excited for the pixel 6 pro and it will be nice to see what the pixel 7 will be about. It will be interesting to see how the iPhone 14 competes.

Describe how hard it is to check emails and reply to texts?

Describe how hard it is to check emails and reply to texts?
I dont like the way mail looks on ios. It just seems bland. I much prefer the gmail app. For texts i dont like how everyones name has there initials in a grey circle. It makes it very easy to send a text to the wrong contact. It’s annoying because i have to slow down and make sure im texting the correct person. On android everyones name is in a different colored circle. Makes it very easy to differentiate different contacts. Also i really like androids ability to quick reply to texts and emails from the notification bar. With android you are able to do more things from the notification bar where with ios it just seems to bring you to the email app for example to reply instead of being able to quick reply. Overall ios is just slower for me to use on a daily basis and requires more attention to make sure im getting the task done properly.

I dont like the way mail looks on ios. It just seems bland. I much prefer the gmail app. For texts i dont like how everyones name has there initials in a grey circle. It makes it very easy to send a text to the wrong contact. It’s annoying because i have to slow down and make sure im texting the correct person. On android everyones name is in a different colored circle. Makes it very easy to differentiate different contacts. Also i really like androids ability to quick reply to texts and emails from the notification bar. With android you are able to do more things from the notification bar where with ios it just seems to bring you to the email app for example to reply instead of being able to quick reply. Overall ios is just slower for me to use on a daily basis and requires more attention to make sure im getting the task done properly.

Go into Contacts and you can edit individual contacts with pictures, different colors, emoji and a bunch more. Those changes then cross over to Messages and Mail.

I dont like the way mail looks on ios. It just seems bland. I much prefer the gmail app. For texts i dont like how everyones name has there initials in a grey circle. It makes it very easy to send a text to the wrong contact. It’s annoying because i have to slow down and make sure im texting the correct person. On android everyones name is in a different colored circle. Makes it very easy to differentiate different contacts. Also i really like androids ability to quick reply to texts and emails from the notification bar. With android you are able to do more things from the notification bar where with ios it just seems to bring you to the email app for example to reply instead of being able to quick reply.
Go into Contacts and you can edit individual contacts with pictures, different colors, emoji and a bunch more. Those changes then cross over to Messages and Mail.
Thanks for the info. I knew about that and maybe I’m looking at it wrong but in android it automatically assigns a color to somebody rather than me having to do it manually. My main take away with ios is it feels a lot more manual than android. While ios is very capable and there are some great things it can do i just expected something much more amazing according to all the people who looked down on Me for having an android.

Back