Pics, ONE oil change in 45K miles (2015 Kia Optima 2.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by addyguy
See, Quaker State sludges up engines, proof right there.

LOL as far as I see there was only one documented Quaker State Oil change.

And everyone KNOWS just one QS oil change is all it takes. ...Ž

WHOOSH!!

Originally Posted by dkryan

LOL then my Corolla should be in deep dodo.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Good stuff, thanks for posting wemay.
Isn't this one of the problem engines? If so, that has to be why Kia covered it.

Even if it was, they should warrantee the replacement engine, not this one.

Exactly!

ive seen much worse. We had several customers years ago that had their Chrysler 2.7s serviced by us every 3k and the engines would look worse than this.

I wonder what let go in this Kia? My guess is the pickup got clogged

That could have been just as bad with two 22.5K mile OCIs with an extended drain oil. lol

Although it doesn't appear there is, I wonder if there's more to the backstory than just accommodating this woman's fraud?? I can see the dealership being as fraudulent as this woman but I've been in more than a few similar situations where there's been only 3/4 of the story told.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Not really, we don't know what the dealer told the corporate to get the warranty repair approved. That is why it's funny seeing people wanting to charge the lady with fraud, yet we have no clue what fairy tale the dealer sold to the corporate.

What the dealer told Kia is somewhat irrelevant. She initially provided fake receipts, assumingly, because she knew she'd need proof of maintenance records.

She falsified documents to reach an end result. That is fraud, without question. If the dealership told Corporate that the woman had maintained her vehicle in accordance with warranty requirements, then they too are committing fraud. Whether or not they too committed fraud, changes the fact that the woman most certainly did.

Last edited:
No this is not "good for Kia". An hour later some guy with a legitimate problem will be refused service. Why can't they just do the right thing. Even when they honor a warranty it's wrong. Yeah wow.

Of course this is all based on a dealership tech's story... hmm.

Kind of disappointed they are covering it, lady isn't going to learn a lesson that way, probably going to be laughing at them when she drives it away.

In a former life I worked at an engine rebuilder and I will never forget a Dodge that came in. It was a V6 Durango with 67k kilometres on it and a rod hanging out the side of the block. The guy had never done a single oil change, when we took the intake manifold off the entire lifter valley was literally full of sludge. Like the bottom of the manifold actually made an imprint on the sludge, lol.

Wow, that's almost similar to the video on Snap On Tool Review where Joel shot an engine replacement at a Hyundai dealer due to lack of maintenance (oil changes) and Hyundai paid for it.

Originally Posted by Chris142
It's suprizingly clean really. Looks like QS is the oil to use for extended oci's.

Haha that's what I was thinking too!! The camshaft has absolutely no wear scars.

Holy crap...doesn't even look that bad!

Maryland...that speaks volumes. Owner is from the DC area, where drivers are notorious for abusing their vehicles (apologies to BITOGers that live in the area and actually DO maintenance).

I'm also surprised KIA warranted after she attempted fraud and that she should go to jail, AND that she is laughing all the way down the road with the new engine. "I don't remember my oil changes" has more integrity than "here are a bunch of fake oil changes".

However I IIRC this IS one of the problem engines, management probably said "just replace it".

Dang, you guys beat me to it....

For me, BOTTOM LINE: Don't buy Kia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back