Picking your dog out at the breeder?

Yes, I'm agreeing with you, perhaps I did not word it well. The breeder sounds like a control freak. (Not you)
I posted a like to your post, totally agree with you

OK, just making sure- I read it differently at first glance

Is this unreasonable?

We found a GSD breeder who was recommended by a lady who trains LEO canines. The price wasn’t an issue to me, but she wouldn’t let us pick out the dog. It was my understanding that she’d be more willing to work with us if she picked the gender too “because she will have worked with them and know their personalities.” The breeder wanted to name the dog too. She wanted $500 down and supposedly already had 4 deposits. Say we wanted a male, but they were sold out.. We’d be out the $500 too.

To say the least, we are looking elsewhere. Are we being unreasonable?
Slightly OT, but please check to make sure that GSD's are allowed by your homeowners or renter's insurance company. GSD's are on most restricted breed lists and could affect your eligibility at renewal.

My daughter, who works for a local PD
IMG_1030.JPG
gave me a GSD pup on fathers day 5 yrs ago, can't find a more faithful or loving protective dog, he is my shadow. the dogs father was a police dog.
IMG_0126.JPG

Beautiful German Shepherd. Makes me sad that through breeding practices over the last century it will live a short life and become an invalid in pain its last couple years. In many localities the private sale of dogs has been outlawed, much like marrying your siblings or parents and conceiving is illegal in 48 states. The abuse/cruelty runs rampant in the puppy mill business. Plenty of pound dogs awaiting their death to choose from.

Sounds like her customers are K9 units and if an individual wants one of her dogs it's under her normal terms. I doubt a K9 handler gets to name his dog or pick out a puppy either. Find another breeder or accept her terms.

X2, if she's recommended by someone in the working law enforcement dog field, it's probably not so much "crazy dog lady" as it is someone selling a highly specialized product who has a set process for that.

We haven’t ruled out the pound yet either. We’d just want a puppy because we already have another dog and a (recently adopted shelter) cat.

The cat loved the GSD. All 3 animals got alone quite well actually.

I’d vet the living daylights out of the breeder,

IF they pass then they can assign you the pup out of the litter. OFA for both parents on hip dysplasia. Any other genetic testing specific to your breed. No excuses.
Otherwise get one from the pound.

I’d vet the living daylights out of the breeder,

IF they pass then they can assign you the pup out of the litter. OFA for both parents on hip dysplasia. Any other genetic testing specific to your breed. No excuses.
Otherwise get one from the pound.

I get what you are saying. But i would rather go with the dog that i get good vibes from , and seems to mesh with me. Having said that my GSD( he has some blue heeler in him) is from the pound. He is almost 14 and has lower back issues( not hip) , so we don't have that much time left together. He is a great dog.
IMG_20200407_134717361.jpg

93FE6AD2-8ECE-4216-BF68-9C9495D93F03.jpg

Well, here’s my update. We take him home at the end of the month.

The guy had a whole pack of GSD’s that were pets and not money makers. We were able to pick him out, see where they were raised, and meet the parents.

First, go, run, somewhere else. Secondly, and maybe more importantly. Go to a well-known GSD rescue. As the owner/former operator of three previous LEO K-9's, ALL of my better GSD's for my family came from shelters. Loved the kids and would defend them and the house with their lives. In fact, the females were the best! My last K-9 passed 2 years ago. She was fantastic, but no one else really could handle her. The K-9's will have a tendency to operate off of training and the "regular" GSD's, in my opinion, operate off shear instinct. Love, love all my dogs like kids. Go to a respected shelter please. SO many morons get GSDs and never realize the commitment they are. The rescue will love you more than your wife does, trust me.

It's very hard to find a good GSD these days....the American 'show line' (with the slope backline) are just that ....'show dogs'. I'd avoid them.
The German 'working line' usually have 'Schutzhund' backgrounds but I've found that being a 'Schutzhund' dog doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good family protector because 'Schutzhund' is really a game, IMO....in other words the dog's 'ball drive' is used to play a game.
Most police GSD's come from DDR or Czech working lines.....and even then 'overbreeding' can hurt working ability. If it's a working type dog you want, I'd look at a Belgian Malinois....most PD's are using them because they haven't been 'ruined' yet.

PS: My guess is that she is trying to give you the dog with the least 'drive' in the litter....more of a family pet....she want the dogs with 'drive' for her LEO customers.

Cute pup Dlunblad. Ella, my daughter's GSD, is my special good girl. She really needs a flock to mind. She has a blue hardball the size of a soccer ball that she noses down the lawn at full gallop. 😃

Last edited:
Back