picked up a 2012 Civic

My friend's Altima strippie is starting to have problems that are above my pay grade. Plus he's a slob, so the interior is beat. Needs axles, valve cover gasket, alignment and 2 tires. Key fob and starter button are my unknown. Dead in the morning but starts fine in the afternoon.

I found this 2012 Civic nearby. 126K, serviced, good body, stinky cigarette interior even though it was detailed.
$6300. Plugs looked to be original, swapped them out. Spill and fill 2.5 qts Idemitsu Honda DW-1 equivalent. Oil was fresh with a Honda blue filter. Tires are good but I hate cheapie tires. Alloy wheels, moonroof, etc. Wonder if it is an EX? Dunno... Cars are still expensive around here.

Truth be told, the pics make it look better than it is. Runs very well after the little work I did.
civic3.jpg

civic2.jpg

civic1.jpg

What the heck is an ozone generator? I am just a lowly programmer; not sure I am qualified to run one?
Professional detail shops use ozone generators to eliminate foul odors from car interiors, especially smoke and organic decay odors. Must use caution since overuse can oxidize wiring/electrical components and can't be inside the vehicle until it is fully vented afterwards. Ozone machines are pretty inexpensive if purchased online.

1714608610903.jpg

It will never come out even with an ozone machine, gallons of vinegar, and furious scrubbing. If you do attempt it, pay special attention to the headliner. Probably better off getting a junkyard interior.

Good job on the car itself, it will last forever for your friend.

My friend's Altima strippie is starting to have problems that are above my pay grade. Plus he's a slob, so the interior is beat. Needs axles, valve cover gasket, alignment and 2 tires. Key fob and starter button are my unknown. Dead in the morning but starts fine in the afternoon.

I found this 2012 Civic nearby. 126K, serviced, good body, stinky cigarette interior even though it was detailed.
$6300. Plugs looked to be original, swapped them out. Spill and fill 2.5 qts Idemitsu Honda DW-1 equivalent. Oil was fresh with a Honda blue filter. Tires are good but I hate cheapie tires. Alloy wheels, moonroof, etc. Wonder if it is an EX? Dunno... Cars are still expensive around here.

Truth be told, the pics make it look better than it is. Runs very well after the little work I did.
View attachment 217229

View attachment 217230
View attachment 217231

That is the EXACT same car and color I have…

Mine runs really well, and AC got toppped off the other day by me, and have just done 2 drain and refills on the transmission and 2 new headlights put in.

The AC system only needed 5 ozs of 134r to get it performing better.

Professional detail shops use ozone generators to eliminate foul odors from car interiors, especially smoke and organic decay odors. Must use caution since overuse can oxidize wiring/electrical components and can't be inside the vehicle until it is fully vented afterwards. Ozone machines are pretty inexpensive if purchased online.

View attachment 217232
I had this model to get mildew odors out of a cottage in Florida. It worked well. It’s very powerful. Run it on a low setting for a short time then air out the car. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

View attachment 217232
I have this exact o-zone machine and it does work well. I am always very cautious to hold my breath when I go to open doors. I usually let vent for about an hour. Perhaps I am over-exaggerating my caution.

It does a decent job neutralizing odors, leaves a "medical" sterile-like presence/mild aroma in the vehicle.

I have this exact o-zone machine and it does work well. I am always very cautious to hold my breath when I go to open doors. I usually let vent for about an hour. Perhaps I am over-exaggerating my caution.

It does a decent job neutralizing odors, leaves a "medical" sterile-like presence/mild aroma in the vehicle.
This. It is toxic to breathe so you have to hold your breath and be careful. I have the same machine as well.

Put the machine on the center console and run the cord out the window and roll the window up as much as you can. The ozone smell is instantaneous. Close the door and plug it into an extension cord. Let it run for 2 hours and then open the doors/windows in a well ventilated space for a few hours.

Another warning, it'll smell like burnt plastic for a week or so inside but it'll be safe to be in after a few hours. I'd recommend driving with the windows down for that week though if it's real strong. Works really good and definitely worth picking one up.

My daughter had a 2015 Civic LX(2012-15) and it was a great car til it got totaled(rear ended while she was stopped for a school bus).

Yes that is an EX model. You did great at $6300 and the car will stay at that price for a few years. I would buy 3 quarts of Honda AT fluid and take your MityVac and do a fluid exchange. Takes a few minutes. I have a 2012 Civic and had the brake fluid exchanged at my Honda dealership for $75 and they adjusted the valves at about 142,000 miles and that cost $175. I know it's not your car but just offering a suggestion to the owner to help the car make it several more years. I really like my 2012 Civic for a DD.

Nice pick up Jeff. Your buddy being a slob, whats one more odor to him? Lol
With your help, that Honda should take care of him for many years to come.

Back