Piano black plastic doesn’t belong in cars

I know having piano black plastic inside cars has been a trend the last 10 years. Now manufacturers are putting gloss black on the outside of cars such as fender trims and bumpers. I was browsing Mazda 3 sedans on Carmax and wasn’t surprised to see these less then three year old cars piano black trim pieces beat the hell. The 3 has piano black window switches surround also. One of the most used places inside a car. The Select trim uses a silver trim rather then the piano black and looks so much better.
IMG_4808.jpeg
IMG_4809.jpeg

IMG_4810.jpeg
IMG_4811.jpeg

IMG_4813.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 11
I wonder what the best surface there needs to be? The problem with the matte silver surfaces is that they tend to chip or scratch easily showing black plastic underneath.

I suppose if there's one thing to be said for the Rubbermaid interiors of, say, a 90s Dodge Neon, it's that it won't show wear and tear.

Now tell us how bad plastic chrome all over the interior is. UGH. I lack words to show the full extent of my disgust.
not only looks tacky.. the sun reflections are annoying.

I had the plastic chrome start to peel on the door handles and shifter knob. Hyundai paid for new ones but the shifter peeled again. I use back semi gloss paint for the interior. It's pretty durable as long as you don't put it on too thick. Glossy anything show more imperfections and flat doesn't wear good. The original factory silver painted trim wore away.

Yes the plastic chrome on interior door handles is borderline dangerous when it starts to chip. I've encountered more than a few vehicles with the inner handles wrapped in duct tape or similar (Ford Focus, GMC Sierra and others I can't remember)

I would buy a piece to overlay it with...plenty of options out there. IMO interior trim pieces should be aluminum or wood.

My Accord had Piano Black on the dash and center console. It also had chrome trim around cup holders and gear shifter. The sun reflected in my eyes all the time from it just because of direction and time I travelled. I got black vinyl and covered them. It's been 2+ years and no issues with peeling or anything. It was a QUICK job as I had a road trip planned so no parts removed for proper wrap. I'll live and sleep well.
accord trim1.jpg

accord trim2.jpg

accord trim3.jpg

Yeah, both our vehicles have it on the centre stack, along with some chrome piping. It's a bugger to keep clean, but at least it's not on any high traffic surfaces, that area has a "carbon fibre" look and texture to it.

Back