Philips VisionPlus 900X bulbs in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(This is a continuation of a similar thread, but since this is a new "twist", thought I'd start a seperate thread)

According to Philips-USA website their best bulb VisionPlus (clear bulbs, 50% brighter) is available in 9003 to 9007 types...but I have no clue where to find them/order them.

This bulb came in 2nd only to the Euro Osram silverstars on a UK-test, accroding to info from a reply/link to my previous thread about bulbs.

are they really available in USA at all?
or is that a mistake on their website??

Anyone have any experience/clue?

thanks.

Thanks for the link, JeepZ,]

Why does that bulb have a weird looking 90-degree elbow on the connector part?

Does anybody know?
The 9007 bulbs I have a straight connector...

will someone take a look at this link from JeepsZ and tell me if those bulbs are going to fit my T-bird which uses normal 9007's?
(Can that elbow be removed or something???)

Thanks again..

Are the Osram Silverstars the same thing as the Sylvania in the US? I saw Sylvania Silverstars on sale at Pepboys last week.
My cars could all certainly use an upgrade.

It's because the picture is of a 9005 or 9006 bulb, the 9007 will always be a straight connector. The picture shown for the 9007 bulb is wrong, you should get the right bulb if ordered.

try this link instead

Off topic a little, but I have a friend in Germany who is trying to get me a couple of OSRAM SILVERSTAR bulbs in a 9007 type. They are rare, but according to his suppliers, they are available. I'm waiting to see how much they cost. Delivery will be free as he has to come here on business anyways.

[ November 30, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: lyle ]

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
Are the Osram Silverstars the same thing as the Sylvania in the US? I saw Sylvania Silverstars on sale at Pepboys last week.
My cars could all certainly use an upgrade.

No, they're not. Please read the thread I started about Xtravisions and US-silverstars a few threads below this on this forum. You'll get all the info you need.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
It's because the picture is of a 9005 or 9006 bulb, the 9007 will always be a straight connector. The picture shown for the 9007 bulb is wrong, you should get the right bulb if ordered.

try this link instead

Off topic a little, but I have a friend in Germany who is trying to get me a couple of OSRAM SILVERSTAR bulbs in a 9007 type. They are rare, but according to his suppliers, they are available. I'm waiting to see how much they cost. Delivery will be free as he has to come here on business anyways.

Lyle:

That link, it's the same one; shows a "bent" 9007.
So you're sure that If I ordered i'll get a "normal" 9007? I'm sure glad to hear that. I wrote to Philips, and they said VisionPlus 9007 should be in KMarts, Walmarts and AutoZones; will check those places out soon...

I lived in Germany for about 9 years, and I also have a few friends there...I didn't know Osram SS 9007s existed!!
Please let me know the price if your friend informs you. I might also try to get the Osram SS 9007 from Germany via my friend.

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
I have been through both threads. Have no idea what to think.
Are you 100% on the Philips visionplus?

Well, I think the best is Osram (euro) silverstars, but difficult to find;
so the next best thing is the Philips VisionPlus, from all I've read. Next will be Philips High Visibilty and Sylvania(US) XtraVision.

A lot of knowledgable people say Xtravision=Silverstar without the light robbing blue tint, so Xtravisions are better IMO.

I have the US-silverstars now: dissapointing
mad.gif
really...

So if I can't have the patience for all the trouble to find Osram S-stars, I'm 100% determined to get the Philips VisionPlus.
I might even start a fan club for them if they're good
smile.gif

My local Kmart, Autozone andm walmart do no carry any of th Philips VisionPlus bulbs, however, my local Kmart has a catalog that shows the VisionPlus being availible in 9003(H4),9004,9005,9006,9007,H1 and H7. I wonder if they could order a box for me.

I can get the Philips Premium(+30%) and Xtravisions quite easily, with the xtravision being more common.

Maybe I'll contact Philips for a local distributor.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
My local Kmart, Autozone andm walmart do no carry any of th Philips VisionPlus bulbs, however, my local Kmart has a catalog that shows the VisionPlus being availible in 9003(H4),9004,9005,9006,9007,H1 and H7. I wonder if they could order a box for me.

I can get the Philips Premium(+30%) and Xtravisions quite easily, with the xtravision being more common.

see? I also have never seen the VisionPlus at any Wal/K/mart or AZ...I don't know why the Philips guy told me that..

where do you get the Philips Premiums? I haven't seen those anywhere either!

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

see? I also have never seen the VisionPlus at any Wal/K/mart or AZ...I don't know why the Philips guy told me that..

where do you get the Philips Premiums? I haven't seen those anywhere either!

Philips premium are the same thing as philips high visibility; they are both +20% and +30% bulbs. The HV is just the US version of the european premium bulb as far as I know. They carry them at Kmart.

Another thing that will help is an upgraded wiring harness. Instead of having the wiring go through the switch, then the relay in the fuse box which then has to get power from the battery, the high performance wiring harness will use the existing light sockets as the "switch" but it will no longer get the power from the fuse box. There are connects to get power straight from the battery. There is a fuse on the harness so nothing will burn. This harness give better voltage to the bulbs, making the 900x bulbs perform a lot better.

Something like this: http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/579/CategoryID/29/SubCategoryID/279

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Another thing that will help is an upgraded wiring harness. Instead of having the wiring go through the switch, then the relay in the fuse box which then has to get power from the battery, the high performance wiring harness will use the existing light sockets as the "switch" but it will no longer get the power from the fuse box. There are connects to get power straight from the battery. There is a fuse on the harness so nothing will burn. This harness give better voltage to the bulbs, making the 900x bulbs perform a lot better.

Something like this: http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/579/CategoryID/29/SubCategoryID/279

A harness is a good idea, but make sure to get a good quality one; not too sure I'd trust something from APC. I'd go with something from Painless Wiring (you can find it from Summit), http://www.suvlights.com or make your own.

97tbird, they don't seem to offer a 9007 bulb. I have no idea if any cars in europe use them. Most of the cars I've seen use H4.

quote:

I wonder if they could order a box for me.

Yes, just ask.

You can also try www.powerbulbs.com

They are located in the UK, but offer free shipping on everything.

Power claims can be misunderstood. The most common one is '30 per cent extra' light, but a standard 12V bulb with such a high output would be illegal. The figure refers to the amount of light on the kerb 75 metres ahead of the car - a critical point for night driving.

This stronger light is achieved by burning a smaller filament harder, to give a tighter focus to the beam.

[ December 02, 2004, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:

This stronger light is achieved by burning a smaller filament harder, to give a tighter focus to the beam. [/QB]

Gas mixture and filament alignment has more to do with the extra light the bulb puts out, imo. Unless that is what you mean by burning a "smaller fillament 'harder'"

I have used Philips Vison Plus and Osram Siverstar bulbs in my Audi's e-codes. They are H7. The Osram bulbs seem to have slightly whiter light, but I can't confirm that they are brighter or produce a better beam due to superior filament placement. I checked brightness with a lux meter, and I did not notice any conclusive evidence of one being brighter than the other.

I just got a reply to my mail from Daniel Stern, probably one of the biggest experts in lighting in U.S.

Seotaj:

Mr.Stern confirmed that Philips now offers VisionPlus bulbs in all 900x types in the U.S., including 9007. They only started this 2 weeks ago in U.S. Until then it was only available in Europe.

His website has great info, but he said he needs to update/correct this info about VisionPlus bulbs being in U.S. now, after I sent him the info from Philips that I got.

According to his website, Philips VisionPlus is the equivalent to Osram(euro) Silverstars.

So I guess I'll try to find those.
My priority list now: VisionPlus, XtraVision OR High Visibility(ph)

Oh, and i wrote to Powerbulbs.com; they said they can't get the VisionPlus 9007: doesn'y matter now anyway, as they're available here now.
aid.com also has VisonPlus 9007 (they show a wrong picture on their site).

Well, my friend from Germany wrote, OSRAM makes Silverstar bulbs in a 9007 type, BUT, they are not available in Germany. Instead, he will bring me a pair of NARVA 9007 bulbs which will cost me 13 Euros or about $17. These are not as good as the OSRAM, but for that little money I'll try them. If they are comparable to the PIAA's I have, it will be a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back