Phase Separated Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the water has separated out there is no way to ever get it as a homogeneous solution again. That is more than condensation too I would say. Unless you never run the tank to near empty.

Only time since 1980 I've had problems is with my power washer and it's a stupid B&S carb design with a secondary fuel pickup point that would accumulate water.

Well, the tank has been drained. I threw some IPA(don't worry, good, dry stuff) and a gallon of gas. So far, it's running a lot better but I'm going to run it empty before I refill the tank and hopefully things will be back to normal(although I probably should drain the carb float bowls and such).

BTW, I've not run it close to empty in 2 years of ownership(I didn't know where empty truly was on the gas gauge before today and didn't want to chance running out), although I'm guilty sometimes of letting it sit for a while with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank.

I don't know if it has any relevance, but this is an "open" system without any vapor recovery. The gas filler is on the back and runs straight down into the tank, and the cap really is just a cover as it has to allow air into the tank and vapor out. After I finished with the head overhaul, I had it out for an hour or so in a rain storm-something I don't generally do, but I was anxious to get back out on the road and do some road tuning. I wonder if I picked up some water there. If so, I might need to look into a new gas cap also.

The farmers around here complain because when they fill their 1000 gallon gas tanks with a years worth of gas they collect water overt time.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The farmers around here complain because when they fill their 1000 gallon gas tanks with a years worth of gas they collect water overt time.

We always had above ground tanks and the issue of water (condensation) accumulation is more of an issue in those.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

We always had above ground tanks and the issue of water (condensation) accumulation is more of an issue in those.

Right. But should be zero issues with water in the gas from a modern gas station.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Originally Posted By: Donald
Nothing can be done. Dump the gas, and change the filter.

You have to have a lot of water for phase separation. It's uncommon and almost always in boats.

^This

Use ethanol-free gas if possible. Use Sta-bil 360 Marine Formula.

^ These.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Right. But should be zero issues with water in the gas from a modern gas station.

Sorry, my response was to Donald and not the OP.

You are correct AND on topic
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back