Personal ceramic heater in the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Do you have poor circulation? I’d get a note from your doctor and give a copy to management that you need to warm up your car.

Are you thinking he has diabetes? The feet are the first to go in that situation. Wearing warmer wool socks might help but if circulation is bad, I can see how the feet would still be cold.
Could be a health issue. My grandma was always freezing cold, even in the summer and she had poor leg circulation.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Make time to go out and warm your car up alittle earlier then you normally do. I hate last minute people!!!

Dale

Another fine example of someone making judgements without knowing jack poop.

OP, have you looked into insulated boots? Some of them can be pretty stylish depending on how you dress for work. Put them on a register vent overnight or buy some boot dryers and run that 10 minutes before leaving. Get sophisticated and run it on a timer so it's "hands free" to run before you leave.

In my saturn I rigged up an extension cord through the firewall to the passengers floorboard. Put a fan-forced 1500 watt space heater there. I didn't want to use a radiant one due to the fire hazard. Putting the heater on a cookie pan is a good idea too. The male outlet of the extension cord dragged under the front bumper like a block heater. I set a timer to come on an hour before leaving for work. May have had a splitter to run a magnetic oil pan heater a few times too.

I only used it to pre-heat the car when it was mega-cold. That car was so efficient (
smirk.gif
) it took ten minutes to make heat. Nowadays you could hook it up to your amazaon alexa outlet.

I also bought one of those stupid 12 volt heaters like they sell at pep boys when my old cadillac cimarron blew a fine antifreeze mist through the defroster. It didn't even cut the frost of one guy breathing. Total junk. The physics don't work out.

Why can't you just put a remote start in the car?

My friend tried something like this many years ago - it was a really cold winter, and his car (70s Ford wagon) kept popping heater fan fuses. He bought an inverter (very expensive back then) and an AC heater. I don't think it worked well. Eventually they stopped and had it repaired properly.

Another friend had a heater core leak in his old Ford Cortina. It was spraying sweet mist onto the inside of the windshield. The car had a valve in the heater line to cut off the coolant flow (and thus control the temperature). This was common before blend-air doors. Anyway, he lined up a bunch of candles in steel jar lids across the dash near the window. He said they didn't seem to help. We pulled the heater core and soldered it, and it worked fine for the rest of the time he had the car.

Some rules are meant to be broken. I'd let her idle for 15 minutes if the temp was say below 20 degrees and not worry about the HOA police. If it was above 20, 5 minutes at idle should get enough warmth to get you started.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
It takes at least 10-15 minutes of city road driving for it to get warm.

Maybe you need a new t-stat....10-15 minutes seems like an aweful long time for it to warm up.

I thought of this since there was a combustion heater available for our old Vanagon and I believe that this was also available for a number of other air-cooled VW models back in the day.
A gas heater would be the ultimate solution.
Running the engine for ten or fifteen minutes before setting out would also work well but the OP is apparently precluded from doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back