Pentastar oil changes

Originally Posted by 4WD
That's all I have ever done on our Dodge and Chevy … snug's good …

Snug is what I did on my VW, and what I do on my Camry. Go until it bottoms out, done. The o-ring has huge amounts of drag and I can't see it ever backing out on its own (and haven't in over 500k of driving). I only ever had one problem--and it wasn't a problem--when I used a filter & o-ring from Walmart. I used a Supertech filter & o-ring for 10k, and when I removed the canister there was very little drag. The o-ring had gone square, unlike the OEM o-ring. It didn't leak, the canister didn't fall off, but I sure wasn't going to use another ST in this application (YMMV).

Granted, I've never touched a Pentastar so maybe it's somehow different... but I'm thinking not.

Originally Posted by Since1941
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
FRAM Ultra and Castrol Edge, but I have 2 OCs of Kendall GT-1 Max on deck next.

The 3.6L is not hard on oil though there does seem to be some of them that suffer from some fuel dilution. You really cannot go wrong with any of the 0W-20 oils. I currently am doing a 5K OCI with a filter change every other time.
Is the M1 EP or ESP better?

Bit of a caveat with those two--they do not have the FCA MS-6395 approval (not very many do), not a huge concern just something to be aware of from a warranty standpoint. With that said, the MS-6395 specification is not very hard to meet. Here is an older copy of the specification and I would be very surprised if there was a synthetic oil that could not meet it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1hK2g8rfg5Qkwf18tEKQbRpf_xFrasY/view

Nor did I find the owners manual as hardline as GM is on Dexos …

FRAM Ultra and Castrol Edge, but I have 2 OCs of Kendall GT-1 Max on deck next.

The 3.6L is not hard on oil though there does seem to be some of them that suffer from some fuel dilution. You really cannot go wrong with any of the 0W-20 oils. I currently am doing a 5K OCI with a filter change every other time.
Is the M1 EP or ESP better?

Bit of a caveat with those two--they do not have the FCA MS-6395 approval (not very many do), not a huge concern just something to be aware of from a warranty standpoint. With that said, the MS-6395 specification is not very hard to meet. Here is an older copy of the specification and I would be very surprised if there was a synthetic oil that could not meet it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1hK2g8rfg5Qkwf18tEKQbRpf_xFrasY/view

Yeah, my JK will be out of warranty in less than a year. I'm just looking at picking the best, and just sticking with it long term. I do a lot of overlanding, so M1 seems to be a good choice while out on road. Just Incase I need some. Only thing I've noticed, is ESP doesn't come in 20 weight.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Don't torque the oil filter cap!!!!!! Screw it down until it STOPS. DON'T TORQUE IT!!!!! Screw it down until it bottoms out on the canister base. STOP!!!! It's plastic!!!! The o-ring on cap keeps it from unscrewing. I've never even changed the o-ring on the cap, none of them ever. Have done this on these with ZERO problems>>>>>>2014 RAM 1500 3.6...2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6...2018 RAM 1500 3.6...2019 Dodge Charger SXT 3.6. Never had a leak. The oil filter cap's have never moved. I put a paint mark on it so I can see when to stop.

To add onto this--the oil cooler has the filter housing integrated into it and the oil cooler is aluminum and the filter housing and cap are plastic. Over tightening the cap can cause the housing to crack where the plastic meets the aluminum. FCA should have taken a lesson from Mercedes who makes the oil cooler and filter housing out of a single piece of aluminum.

Only thing I've noticed, is ESP doesn't come in 20 weight.
Isn't ESP primarily a diesel oil? M1 AFE or EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge or Edge Extended, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Rotella Gas Truck, Havoline ProDS, and Valvoline are all good choices and readily available. Pick one and run with it...

This is not a picky engine. I have 85k on mine with lots of off road, and run just about every major brand synthetic 5w20 and noticed hardly any difference other than QSUD seems the quietest, if that means anything. I usually use a Napa Gold filter but have also used Fram TG a few times. I do an oil change when the OLM gets to the 10-15% range which is about 7.5-8k.

The torque for the filter cap is 18 ft lbs.

Only thing I've noticed, is ESP doesn't come in 20 weight.
Isn't ESP primarily a diesel oil? M1 AFE or EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge or Edge Extended, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Shell Rotella Gas Truck, Havoline ProDS, and Valvoline are all good choices and readily available. Pick one and run with it...

Its C3 oil so it won't come in 20 weight. That would be C5.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Don't torque the oil filter cap!!!!!! Screw it down until it STOPS. DON'T TORQUE IT!!!!! Screw it down until it bottoms out on the canister base. STOP!!!! It's plastic!!!! The o-ring on cap keeps it from unscrewing. I've never even changed the o-ring on the cap, none of them ever. Have done this on these with ZERO problems>>>>>>2014 RAM 1500 3.6...2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6...2018 RAM 1500 3.6...2019 Dodge Charger SXT 3.6. Never had a leak. The oil filter cap's have never moved. I put a paint mark on it so I can see when to stop.

To each his own. The torque spec is cast right into housing the filter snaps into. Why not use it if you have a torque wrench. Putting a paint mark so you can see when to stop, indicates that it is used as an indicator of how tight the housing should be, much as a torque wrench does. I just prefer to use the torque wrench and know it is tightened to the engineering specs.

Originally Posted by 4WD

You know 4wd. You have moments of genius
lol.gif

Seriouslyy that is very smart way to go.

Take a picture of the new vehicle son...

Hope that you and your family are doing good.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by 4WD

You know 4wd. You have moments of genius
lol.gif

Seriouslyy that is very smart way to go.
Take a picture of the new vehicle son...
Hope that you and your family are doing good.

Hoped to send pictures from the beach ... but I'm stuck in the big city for a while ...

F91CD929-2DB0-44B8-9C81-678B8EC91563.jpeg

635B9F46-07C7-4A01-8B63-A208B87E80D1.jpeg

0A46FD2C-FBFA-499F-A047-BEA079F15073.jpeg

I've been running Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 in mine since new and have good UOAs that I have posted. I have just used Mopar filters so far and have not seen any wavy pleats.
This summer I'm trying a run of Rotella 5w-30 because of towing, off road use in the heat.

Nice Rubicon.

Back