Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to NOACK, am I correct in that a very good reason for a lower number is for direct injected motors? Something in regards to oil and how it can vaporize and leave deposits on the valves? I just think I remember reading that somewhere and a lower # is better. With that, PUP at 11% does not seem like I would be using that oil in my DI engine.

Originally Posted By: HOG
Originally Posted By: JustN89
Hey everyone,

If I've read everything right, the PUP used to be Pennzoil Ultra (blackish bottle) and then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum recently (right about the time Pennzoil switched to all yellow bottles). Has anyone found any difference between the two products? I know Pennzoil Ultra was highly regarded and recommended, but I haven't heard much about this new formulation other than the NOACK increased dramatically (from about 5-6% to 11.5%). I don't know much about NOACK and why it matters as I'm still new this stuff, but do we expect the PUP stuff to be as good as the original Ultra?

So are you saying that the formulation of the old PUP in the black'ish bottle is different than that in the new Yellow bottles?
I still see some of the black bottled PUP - which is obviously old stock on the shelf.

We have started getting a good supply of the PUP up here in Canada, but only at 1 major retailer (Canadian Tire). Walmart only carries Pennzoil Platinum as their premium pennzoil oil.

The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum hasn't changed formulas from the black to yellow package to the best of my knowledge. The difference comes in the naming convention Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with pure plus technology or as we generally refer to it as PUP or PUPPP is GTL base stock. Then there is Pennzoil Ultra (no platinum in the name, no mention of pure plus technology or GTL).

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Hey everyone,

If I've read everything right, the PUP used to be Pennzoil Ultra (blackish bottle) and then switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum recently (right about the time Pennzoil switched to all yellow bottles). Has anyone found any difference between the two products? I know Pennzoil Ultra was highly regarded and recommended, but I haven't heard much about this new formulation other than the NOACK increased dramatically (from about 5-6% to 11.5%). I don't know much about NOACK and why it matters as I'm still new this stuff, but do we expect the PUP stuff to be as good as the original Ultra?

So are you saying that the formulation of the old PUP in the black'ish bottle is different than that in the new Yellow bottles?
I still see some of the black bottled PUP - which is obviously old stock on the shelf.

We have started getting a good supply of the PUP up here in Canada, but only at 1 major retailer (Canadian Tire). Walmart only carries Pennzoil Platinum as their premium pennzoil oil.

The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum hasn't changed formulas from the black to yellow package to the best of my knowledge. The difference comes in the naming convention Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with pure plus technology or as we generally refer to it as PUP or PUPPP is GTL base stock. Then there is Pennzoil Ultra (no platinum in the name, no mention of pure plus technology or GTL).

I'm not arguing that it changed forumlation going from black to yellow bottle because I have no idea, but why would the dark gray/black bottle have the DEXOS approval on it and the yellow bottle not if the formulation is the same? I'm honestly asking because I don't know if the DEXOS approval is something that has to be paid for yearly or if it is a one time cost whenever you change formulation.

Hey everyone,

According to Pennzoil, the recent bottles, the last run of SN PU in the gray jug is the same oil as the yellow bottle. The only change was the color of the bottle

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
In regards to NOACK, am I correct in that a very good reason for a lower number is for direct injected motors? Something in regards to oil and how it can vaporize and leave deposits on the valves? I just think I remember reading that somewhere and a lower # is better. With that, PUP at 11% does not seem like I would be using that oil in my DI engine.

This quote is from Pennzoil, possibly from this forum - "Oil volatility is not a significant factor for inlet valve deposits in a direct injection gasoline engine. The significant factor is viscosity modifier type and concentration, so using fully synthetic narrow span viscosity grades such as 5W-20 is beneficial. In North America, there is no specification calling for NOACK of less than 10%.

Seeing how they just changed the look of their entire product line, I'd say its the same product. It may just have fallen in line with a mild formulation tweak.

I may try it this winter.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

This quote is from Pennzoil, possibly from this forum - "Oil volatility is not a significant factor for inlet valve deposits in a direct injection gasoline engine. The significant factor is viscosity modifier type and concentration, so using fully synthetic narrow span viscosity grades such as 5W-20 is beneficial. In North America, there is no specification calling for NOACK of less than 10%.

THANK You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back