Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location Purchased: Amazon
Date Purchased: 23 June 2018
Price @ Purchase: $24.97

Bottling Date: 28 March 2018
Batch No: 11161315 U601

For reference, the last 5W30 VOA was April 2015 on the black bottle Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3692060/VOA_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5w

And here is the VOA on the SN+ Pennzoil Platinum 5W30:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4573299/1

rep.PNG

pup1.jpg

pup2.jpg

pup3.jpg

Thanks for posting the VOA. Love to see all those zero numbers that come from the natural gas base. Note this PUP 5w-30 TBN of 8.65 is lower than that of PUP 5w-20 TBN of 8.83 as posted on this board.

Originally Posted by Danno

Wondering what the future is for the "Ultra" brand.

None. Probably going to die.

Why? Pennzoil have already marketed it as one of the cleanest oils (marketing being the key word), and that there are plenty of people left who still don't need an SN+ or higher oil. They will then be swayed by the "Ultra" name, and therefore still keep purchasing it out of nostalgia.

The fact that it's a great oil for anything non-TGDI doesn't hurt, either. I ran the 5W20 Ultra out to 17k and the TBN was still around 2.3 IIRR. Plus at $24.97 its a pretty good value IMHO.

PUP has been one of my favorites... I had a very solid UOA on a 1.4 EcoTech Turbo on a 10k OCI. I've sense switched to Valvoline FS that has higher Moly, higher Titanium, higher Boron, lower Calcium, higher Magnesium, higher Phosphorus, and same amount of Zinc. And for $22 for 5 Qts at Walmart makes it even better. I would otherwise go with Amsoil but I it's not available for $4.50 a quart like what you can get at Walmart. Thanks for posting this VOA! Very solid oil!!!

Originally Posted by Danno
Don't think it will get SN+ rating with that high Calcium number.
Wondering what the future is for the "Ultra" brand.

It's already been reformulated. This is older, pre SN+ stuff. The new, SN+ rated PP has a little green circle with "Reformulated for modern turbocharged engines" written inside and according to Pennzoil, started hitting shelves May 1st, 2018.

Originally Posted by deven
Very balanced oil additives! Would have liked to see a little more magnesium for all that LSPI rage!

..... and about 1400 less Calcium, for all that LSPI rage.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by deven
Very balanced oil additives! Would have liked to see a little more magnesium for all that LSPI rage!

..... and about 1400 less Calcium, for all that LSPI rage.

It does not really matter the oil can not prevent LSPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back