Pennzoil Platinum vs Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: double vanos
At the end of the day your engine won’t notice the difference between PUP and PP. Proper maintenance using the factory recommendations will be all that’s necessary.

My engine may not know but my pocket book has. Due to Wal-Mart error first jug of PUP free. What it has done has instilled some confidence that I am doing what I can preventative maintenance wise.

I wish it were 100% true that proper maintenance using the factory recommendations will be all that’s necessary. Just spend time at Hyundai-Forums and you will see 2011-2015 Sonatas, Elantras, etc needing engines following Hyundai's recommended maintenance. Would recommending a better oil have made a difference?

Hyundai seems OK with engines needing replacement, people waiting months for a replacement motor, and very little confidence building data from Hyundai that they corrected the issue (s).

I do not have confidence in Hyundai, but I do have confidence in Pennzoil Platinum and PUP. I like the fact Pennzoil is a sponsor here. Pennzoil's strategy of recommending PUP first, then it not being readily available is an epic fail. Having Pennzoil Platinum everywhere, easy to find, and now Dexos 1 Gen 2 to me makes it the Flagship oil. Not third place as a commendation from Pennzoil.

Not sure why choice of oil has anything to do with the Hyundai engine seizure issue. That recall is related to Hyundai not removing debris left behind during the engine assembly process. To qualify for engine replacement you have to....do nothing. No proof of oil changes, no proof of brand or grade of oil. Just have an engine that went bad and they will replace it if it is one of the year/model affected by the recall and lawsuit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
It is overwhelming and confusing to see the product comparison especially with upcoming SN Plus certification.

Well, the reality is that you, as an automotive consumer, will never experience any difference in using these two products.

Not in engine wear, not in gas mileage, not in oil longevity in the sump, not in cold start characteristics, not in high heat performance.

Why not?

Because the typical automotive consumer doesn't experience the high heat, high load, extended duty cycle situations which are required to measure a discernable difference.

As a result, you are left to peruse the marketing materials provided by the OEM, which are specifically written to be non-specific.

Given that, what is a consumer to do?
Read your owners manual, follow the recommendation for specification, viscosity, and change interval.

If you're feeling the itch to deviate from the OEM spec, then go with an SN+ oil once it's available here in a few short weeks. (Which, ironically, takes PUP out of the running for consideration).

That's it.

Nothing more.

+1

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I wish it was that simple:

Hyundai's GDI engine was a problem from the beginning

If you have an Elantra, you are not immune:

Canadians -- Engine Block Replacement Advice

Or you avoid a potential wreck:

Engine Fire on 2013 Sonata 2.0T

Maybe oil would help?

Class-action lawsuit

There are more threads, but you get the idea.

After all that you bought one anyway.

The other way around. I bought one and found out all the details. Love the car. The way I show love is with Pennzoil PP and PUP. Not much else I can do if Hyundai screwed up.

Just wondering.... between two rather similar API SN products, one being Dexos1g2 and one not (let's say PP and PUP), which one would work better in an application that does NOT call for a Dexos1g2 product? I.e. something like a naturally aspirated, port injection engine?

Or, to ask it in a different way: Is Dexos1g2 placing some additional restrictions on the additive pack that are not necessarily benefic to engines that don't need Dexos oils?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Run Pennz Platinum Gen2 in my 2017 Regal GS 2.0T with confidence, redisgned for Turbos.
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum.html

thats what i just put in mine^^^^

Originally Posted By: nap
Just wondering.... between two rather similar API SN products, one being Dexos1g2 and one not (let's say PP and PUP), which one would work better in an application that does NOT call for a Dexos1g2 product? I.e. something like a naturally aspirated, port injection engine?

Or, to ask it in a different way: Is Dexos1g2 placing some additional restrictions on the additive pack that are not necessarily benefic to engines that don't need Dexos oils?

Yes, and no ... Add paks have to be tailored for D1G2 due to LSPI issues. Not the same for port injected NA engines
smile.gif

Do you think the PUP would meet D1 Gen2 any way ?
Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Ultra Platinum used to be Pennzoil's "flagship" product but lately it seems to be the victim of neglect. Having a GDI engine with timing chain, PUP's lack of Dexo1 Gen2 certification is a concern. For this reason, I will be switching from PUP to PP the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Ultra Platinum used to be Pennzoil's "flagship" product but lately it seems to be the victim of neglect. Having a GDI engine with timing chain, PUP's lack of Dexo1 Gen2 certification is a concern. For this reason, I will be switching from PUP to PP the next oil change.

If I had to venture a guess I would say yes, but that would be a guess. For what its worth according to Pennzoil's site PU is still their best product.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If I had to venture a guess I would say yes, but that would be a guess. For what its worth according to Pennzoil's site PU is still their best product.

Pennzoil's website is out of date... it doesn't even show Platinum being Dexos1 Gen2 certified. As for Ultra Platinum, calcium level is too high for D1 G2 unless it's been reformulated and I find no indication of that having been done. The fact that PUP is not being kept up to date is telling. It wouldn't surprise me if SOPUS eliminated it from the product lineup after existing inventories are used up. Time will tell...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Pennzoil's website is out of date... it doesn't even show Platinum being Dexos1 Gen2 certified. As for Ultra Platinum, calcium level is too high for D1 G2 unless it's been reformulated and I find no indication of that having been done. The fact that PUP is not being kept up to date is telling. It wouldn't surprise me if SOPUS eliminated it from the product lineup after existing inventories are used up. Time will tell...

Yes the site is dated. I was told a few months ago by someone from the Pennzoil team they weren't dropping the product. Have they changed their mind? I have no clue, my chat wasn't that long ago. Now I can't speak about a DI engine and how well it does in one, I don't own one, but I was told Ultra was the best of the bunch at that time. Maybe not for DI, but in all honesty at the moment DI is not something I'm concerned about.

I don’t believe She’ll would disclose any future plans beforehand. Ultra seems to be available in certain markets and on Amazon. In fact the Shell rep here always referred to Amazon for those questioning availability. Even Amazon has trouble keeping the product in stock.

Again, nobody really knows what the added benefit of Ultra is over Platinum. With that said it’s much easier to buy Platinum as it is everywhere and run with that.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I don’t believe She’ll would disclose any future plans beforehand. Ultra seems to be available in certain markets and on Amazon. In fact the Shell rep here always referred to Amazon for those questioning availability. Even Amazon has trouble keeping the product in stock.

Again, nobody really knows what the added benefit of Ultra is over Platinum. With that said it’s much easier to buy Platinum as it is everywhere and run with that.

The only added benefit I saw was it was on sale for $19.98 cents vs the other at $24 and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back