Pennzoil Platinum Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've long gotten over the move to lighter viscosities in motor oils and accept that the manufacturer's recommendations will work just fine. As my supply of the "old" Pennzoil Ultra dwindles I'm looking for a 5w-20 replacement and Platinum seems a reasonable choice. But, why does Pennzoil formulate its oils to be the "lightest" one the market?

For example, 100C CSt of a number of mass-market 5w-20 synthetics are:

Mobil1 8.9
Castrol Edge 8.9
Synpower 8.7
Motorcraft 8.7
Havoline 8.5
Platinum 8.2

Platinum is clearly an outlier here. While the difference isn't huge it is significant. If I recall correctly, this difference preceded the switch to GTL base oils, so that wouldn't seem to be the reason.

Any idea why Pennzoil chooses this route? Do they know something or have something that the other majors don't? (And I realize all this really doesn't matter - but this is BITOG...)

They do that so they can use less Friction Modifiers. Remember GF-5 fuel economy is based on improvements seen compared to a reference standard oil, so slightly less viscosity means you need less FM to do the job.

Motorcraft Full Synthetic, as well as Amsoil XL 0W20, are both 8.3.

Good Day,
Steven

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: icruse
Motorcraft Full Synthetic, as well as Amsoil XL 0W20, are both 8.3.

Good Day,
Steven

Motorcraft full syn PDS for 5w-20 says 8.7. And I was comparing 5w-20s, not 0w-20s.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
They do that so they can use less Friction Modifiers. Remember GF-5 fuel economy is based on improvements seen compared to a reference standard oil, so slightly less viscosity means you need less FM to do the job.

Nonsense.

And those values won't always be exactly accurate. Batch to batch variances mean it's possible that the finished product will be close but exact isn't likely.
To be on the thinner part of the grade is no big deal. We've just learned that gal basestocks are less reactive when it comes to temp,which means a more consistent oil film regardless of oil temps and if anything that is far more likely the reason the finished oil is on the lighter end of the grade spectrum,because film strength consistency rather than less friction modifiers.
The additive packages cost pennies. It's a huge leap believing the oil is on the thinner end to save money,or use less friction modifiers.
And considering they own infinium with Exxon that brings their costs down even more.
And more likely than either is the reduction in drag(pumping losses) vs a thicker oil which improves fuel consumption,though it's likely immeasurable in theory it uses less fuel.
Ultimately it's a guess at best. It's still meets the requirements of a 20 grade.
How does it compare to m1 afe. We've all seen that even though afe is on the thinner end of the grade it performs flawlessly in service where a 20 grade is recommended.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Nonsense.

And those values won't always be exactly accurate. Batch to batch variances mean it's possible that the finished product will be close but exact isn't likely.
To be on the thinner part of the grade is no big deal. We've just learned that gal basestocks are less reactive when it comes to temp,which means a more consistent oil film regardless of oil temps and if anything that is far more likely the reason the finished oil is on the lighter end of the grade spectrum,because film strength consistency rather than less friction modifiers.
The additive packages cost pennies. It's a huge leap believing the oil is on the thinner end to save money,or use less friction modifiers.
And considering they own infinium with Exxon that brings their costs down even more.
And more likely than either is the reduction in drag(pumping losses) vs a thicker oil which improves fuel consumption,though it's likely immeasurable in theory it uses less fuel.
Ultimately it's a guess at best. It's still meets the requirements of a 20 grade.
How does it compare to m1 afe. We've all seen that even though afe is on the thinner end of the grade it performs flawlessly in service where a 20 grade is recommended.

Mobil1 0w-20 AFE has a 100C CSt of 8.7.

Originally Posted By: xnicke
No offence, but to say that 8.2 is significantly an outlier can be discussed

Well, okay. Thanks for that.

I've always had a habit to select in the thicker part of the spectrum for a given grade if I have the info. For example for Xw30s they tend to run in the 10.5-11.3 area, but most Castrol synthetics are 11.8-12.2 for GC and the later Edge products.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but compare NOACK numbers between Pennzoil Platinum & Ultra Platinum oils, & in most cases the Platinum will have a much lower NOACK vs the top of the line Ultra Platinum.....just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back