Pennzoil Platinum fine for a 10k OCI in a 04 Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this topic has probably been brought up before, but I could not find it exactly for my car. The car is a 2004 Honda Civic EX with the VTEC engine, 48,200 miles. It has seen dino all of its life, with 3-5k OCIs. Lately I have used Castrol GTX 5W-20 and have had good results with it. However, I have decided to make the jump to synthetic because the car will be spending an extended duration up in Canada for use by sister, away from my control. So rather than turn it over to a quick lube I’ve decided to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with an extended OCI. I’ve heard this oil does pretty well in Hondas. So my only question is the OCI. Most likely it will return from up north with under 5000 miles on the oil. Would it be okay to do a full 10k OCI on this oil? I’m betting it’ll fine, because after all, Honda specs 10k OCI for dino. Car is mostly highway driven, but it may see some short trips up in Canada. I’m just checking before I go ahead. Thanks for your input.

Yes!... depending on the type of driving. It certainly wouldn't be a problem if mostly highway miles.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003273#000000

He ran the factory fill all the way to 10K. I have an 06 civic that I plan on using PP 5W20 and following the OLM. I would think that 10K PP on a Civic should be fine. Do a search for "Civic" in the UOA section and you will find all sorts of good data.

My vehicle only has 1600 miles on it so I won't have a good PP UOA anytime soon unfortunately.
frown.gif

Good Luck!

If she can drive from NC to Canada and back and still drive in Canada for awhile in under 5000k - you'd be ok unless she's a short tripper and doing winter there.

Good news is you may see longer PP UOAs posted here by the time your Civic hits 5K so you can re-evaluate your choice with better info than is posted in the UOAs now.

quote:

you'd be ok unless she's a short tripper and doing winter there

She might be doing short trips there, but I definitely know it won't be in the winter, just July and August. Mostly it will be highway miles though, especially on the trip there and back. It is also a very gently driven vehicle, although if I got a hold of it that might change
grin.gif

Thanks for your input, everyone! I definitely think I will go ahead with the 10k OCI. I think it’ll do just fine. Forgive me if I am a little cautious. After all, I used to be a guy who would panic if a car went a little over 3k on a OCI!
rolleyes.gif

Asystole, I looked at that UOA you linked to. Nasty! Unfortunately that's what my parents did with this Civic, leaving the factory fill in for 10k. They were having it serviced at the dealer at the time, before I took over. The dealer made a pretty big deal about leaving it in that long, I recall, saying that changing it earlier would void the warranty! Sometimes Honda can be a little crazy. But I'm sure the car is fine after that.

Hopefully I can convince my dad to have a UOA done on the 10k run of PP. Currently I do not see any 10k runs of PP out on the forum, mostly 5-6k ones.

I think you should consider Mobil 1. Why? Lots of UOA's at 10,000 miles in Honda engines and excellent results. PP is still not as proven as M1 yet but an excellent oil so far.

TR3...NO, NO! You DO want him to do a 10,000 mile run on PP, then, you want him to get a UOA done. That way, we can then have them for you and I to see!

I think 10,000 on a Civic, mostly highway with PP will be fine...it is just a guess. I run it in my Subaru's (but in 5-30, like the manual says during the warranty period anyway), and almost any oil does good in a Subaru engine.

quote:

I think you should consider Mobil 1.

I was going to use Mobil 1, but my Walmart never seems to have it in 5W-20. And if it's $6 a quart at WM, I can't imagine what the price is at AutoZone or Advance. WM always seems to have just 0W-20 in M1, which I’m sure would work fine, but I’d rather stick with the proper grade. But I didn't just pick PP for price and availability, but also because I heard it's a good oil. I'm also not freaking out over the whole Mobil 1 noise issue. I'm betting PP at 10k will be just fine. I appreciate all of your input. My bet is that engine on this machine will outlast everything else, even with 10k runs on Supertech and Frams! But I will definitely get a UOA done to be on the safe side. Who knows, I may freak out and dump it at 7.5k
smile.gif

Do not go beyond 7K until you do a UOA. That Platinum oil is relatively new & not enough long-mileage UOAs are present here - to confirm that 10K is "automatically allright".

I haven't exactly made my mind up, by I'm torn 50/50 between a 7.5k run and a 10k run with the conflicting opinions I have heard. I am definitely wary of the fact that there are no other UOAs to go on. But who knows, it's a long way off before I have to change it. I haven't even put the PP in yet.

quote:

Originally posted by RippyMan:
I haven't exactly made my mind up, by I'm torn 50/50 between a 7.5k run and a 10k run with the conflicting opinions I have heard. I am definitely wary of the fact that there are no other UOAs to go on. But who knows, it's a long way off before I have to change it. I haven't even put the PP in yet.

Yes, Rippy, be a bold trooper! You have a unique opportunity to be a rebel ..a loner. Put that PP in there and boldly go where no one has gone before.

Arevaderci, baby
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RippyMan:

quote:

I think you should consider Mobil 1.

I was going to use Mobil 1, but my Walmart never seems to have it in 5W-20. And if it's $6 a quart at WM, I can't imagine what the price is at AutoZone or Advance. WM always seems to have just 0W-20 in M1, which I’m sure would work fine, but I’d rather stick with the proper grade.

M1 0W-20 and M1 5W-20 can be used interchangeably. Both oils are 20-weights at operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back