Pennzoil Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I didn't know they sold the full synthetic Magnatec in Australia.
whistle.gif

Yep, lots of full synthetic Magnatec in Australia

Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 - API SN & ACEA A3/B4

Magnatec Bio-Synthetic 5W30 - API SN & ILSAC GF-5

Magnatec SUV 5W30 C3 - API SN, ACEA C3, Dexos2, MB 229.51

Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 C3 - API SN & ACEA C3, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, Dexos2, VW 502/505, RN 700/710

Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30 A5 - ACEA A5/B5, Ford 913-D

Magnatec Stop-Start 0W20 - API SN & ILSAC GF-5

Magnatec 5W40 - API SN & ACEA A3/B4

Magnatec Fuel Saver 5W30 - API SN Plus, ILSAC GF-5, Dexos1-Gen2

Magnatec Diesel DX 5W40 - API SN/CF, ACEA C3, Dexos2

Plus three Magnatec semi-synthetics: 10W30, 10W40, 15W40

Originally Posted by SR5
What about Castrol Magnatec ?

It's a full synthetic (Group III) but with a bit of Group V added (polar molecule) that attaches to the metal surface and resists drain back.

It's a decent price, Dexos rated, and easy to find too.

Is this just a guess on the Group V?
Maybe they rebuilt a custom polar group II.

Of it could just be prescribed mineral salicylates - and it's all just advertising.

No telling on that … last I heard the PG was 50/50 GII/GIII … but I can do 5k/6k runs easily …
About all I want on PF63E filters anyway … (bought a dozen of those) …

Yeah … with 6 gallons I can rock on for a while … LoL

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … with 6 gallons I can rock on for a while … LoL

Six gallons will have you looking at dark red used oil for a while. I like-me sum' SOPUS Red.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by SR5

It's a full synthetic (Group III) but with a bit of Group V added (polar molecule) that attaches to the metal surface and resists drain back.

Of it could just be prescribed mineral salicylates - and it's all just advertising.

To answer your last question first, Shannow tells a story of having dinner with a group of Castrol development engineers and they were in the process of testing some Magnatec in a test engine. Their (good) problem was their organic add attached to the metal so well that it survived a flushing run (with M1 oil) so that they could still see its effects on the next test oil after the flush. Feel free to contact Shannow, he has mentioned this work dinner a number of times.

The original Magnatec sold in Australia did use Group V esters in its formulation as Castrol themselves clearly said this in the literature of the day. I linked to a Castrol PDS a few years a go for other BITOGs to read, but I can't find it anymore, it's may have been removed. However I have hence heard from a number of sources that Castrol has since moved away from esters and developed a new (organic) chemical to perform this task.

Given that Group V consists of esters, AN and all other material that do not belong to Group I, II, III or IV. I'm happy to call it Group V (other).

I've spoken to a number of Castrol people about this, because I too wanted to know if it was real. But obviously nobody told me the exact formula as it's their IP, but all enquiries pointed to it being real and not just advertising fluff.

One question I have is would you can it a base or an add ? Where does one stop and the other start? It's easy for inorganic adds, but what about an organic add. Still I'm more interested in chemistry and effectiveness rather strict english and dictionary definitions.

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by SR5

To answer your last question first, Shannow tells a story of having dinner with a group of Castrol development engineers and they were in the process of testing some Magnatec in a test engine. Their (good) problem was their organic add attached to the metal so well that it survived a flushing run (with M1 oil) so that they could still see its effects on the next test oil after the flush. Feel free to contact Shannow, he has mentioned this work dinner a number of times.

One question I have is would you can it a base or an add ? Where does one stop and the other start? It's easy for inorganic adds, but what about an organic add. Still I'm more interested in chemistry and effectiveness rather strict english and dictionary definitions.

Interesting story. Thank you..

I would call "chicken stock" the base and salt and pepper the add
smile.gif

Funny we humans are a walking, talking organic chemistry lab and reactor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back