Pennsylvania grade crude = superior base stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

But as for finished product lines, let's see..Buckeye might be a good name for one...

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sorry Novadude and all. There is a finished product pipeline called the Buckeye pipeline. It is owned and operated by the CSX corp, yes, the train people. For security reasons, I don't want to say too much. I want us all to have plenty of gas to use this summer.

Perhaps a little off topic: Here is an intersting addition to the lore of good naturally lubricating oils. I spent 7 years in that otherwordly place known as the oilpatch. There exists a place in Texas called Mirando city. Doing a formation tester run one day. We emptied the tank of the "FT" and out came Marvel mystery oil, or darn near an exact copy. An old timer said your could run it unrefined in a diesel and it would work. Also said it was the best lubricating oil to be found. I don't know if that is true, but It sure was a nice looking clear red. Only time I've ever seen that color, Most of it is greenish black and nasty. O

Here are some former discussions:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000148

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003453#000000

quote:

Oil wells in Chanute Kansas once produced an oil so rich in alkanes and natural wax isomerates that the oil was simply filtered to make motor oil, and was naturally green in color (about 35 weight). So the Penn. myth continues, even though there were other oil fields producing much better quality oils. An oil well near Coffeyville Kansas (near the Oklahoma border) produced oil so rich in Kerosene that it only needed a low temp fractionization to produce consumer grade kerosene (coal oil), gasoline, and a light yellow-colored motor oil.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oil wells in Chanute Kansas once produced an oil so rich in alkanes and natural wax isomerates that the oil was simply filtered to make motor oil, and was naturally green in color (about 35 weight). So the Penn. myth continues, even though there were other oil fields producing much better quality oils. An oil well near Coffeyville Kansas (near the Oklahoma border) produced oil so rich in Kerosene that it only needed a low temp fractionization to produce consumer grade kerosene (coal oil), gasoline, and a light yellow-colored motor oil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting. I've heard similar anecdotes myself in the past. It all seems to confirm what I've long suspected (despite my own synthetic fetish): when it comes to motor oil, something like 95% of the battle is won just having fluid, any fluid, between the moving parts. Clean, dirty, thick, thin, dino, syn, and any combo of those things. The remaining 5% is what all of us have a great time arguing about on BITOG.

I had go really dig deep to find out which conventional oils use Pennsylvania base stocks. Pennzoil, Quaker state, Castrol GTX, Amolie, and Wolfs head. Most of the crude is refined in Ohio plants. Don't hold me to it, the information was gathered from various sources, some of which I considered hearsay but I believe the oils listed do use Pennsylvania based crude.

I had go really dig deep to find out which conventional oils use Pennsylvania base stocks. Pennzoil, Quaker state, Castrol GTX, Amolie, and Wolfs head. Most of the crude is refined in Ohio plants. Don't hold me to it, the information was gathered from various sources, some of which I considered hearsay but I believe the oils listed do use Pennsylvania based crude.

So, how relevant is the notion of "Pennsylvania Grade Crude" in an era dominated by hydrogen isomerized Group-II and Group-III base stocks?

Essentially, none.

Pretty much all conventional oils in 2020 are severely hydrocracked, I don't think the source of the crude matters that much any more since solvent refined base stocks are pretty much not used in modern motor oils, pretty much every manufacturer has bumped their conventional 5w20 and 5w30 offerings to synthetic blend meaning that even group II base stocks alone probably were no longer enough to cut it for those grades to meet the more stringent requirements of API SP and ILSAC GF-6A. I think even most monograde you'll find on the shelf is group II and should be miles ahead of old solvent refined oils.

I used to use Kendall GT 20W-50 in my turbo charged Saabs. I never had it analyzed, but once when I had head problems (the old 8 valve heads were notorious for developing cavitation and holes in the jackets surrounding the exhaust valves if the pressure in the cooling system wasn't up to snuff) and had the head removed, the valve train assembly was very clean. The virgin oil had a very beautiful green-gold color. If I could still find the stuff at a reasonable price, I'd consider using it in my '98 engine (Saab B234R). This is anecdotal, but I've been told by friends of people that work at the Saab plant in Sweden that they consider one of the better motor oils to use in their transaxles is a PA crude - Quaker State 10W-30.
I lived in that area all my life.
Wolfs Head oil had that beautiful color you speak of like dark olive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back