Pecan Smoked Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_7367_zps067c9d1d.jpg

Pecan Smoked Black Pepper Ham with Roasted Raspberry-Chipotle Glaze.

Just removed it from the Hasty-Bake about 15 min. ago. Letting it cool off a bit before I start messing with it.

I love zooming in on these hams when the grocery puts them on sale for $0.99/lb.

Now that the fire is waning, I evenly spread out the coals and laid down some thick-sliced bacon to smoke/cook. Doesn't take very long and it sure is delicious for breakfast the next day & for salads.

I wonder if the phrase, "eating high on the hog" came from eating that. Mouth is watering now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
So,forgive my ignorance but how exactly do you do it?
Looks wonderful.

The time-consuming way is to get a raw ham, seal it in an oven bag and cook in the oven until it's nearly done. Then cover with the glaze and pepper and 'perfume' it on a grill with the wood of your choice.

The easy way and what I did here is to buy a pre-cooked spiral sliced ham, remove it a few hours early from the frig on the day of smoking so it'll warm up a bit.

Get a bottle of sauce/glaze of your choice. Not sure if your grocery carries raspberry/chipotle or not. But use something with fruit in it. As an alternative you could use seedless raspberry jam with some puried chipotle-peppers in adobo sauce stirred in. Or use a hot chili sauce like Sriracha.

Put the ham in a metal pan and brush on the sauce. Then sprinkle on fresh cracked black pepper. Rotate and do the other side. My picture shows it big-end-down instead of on its side.

Make a small/med. fire in your grill/smoker, put the ham away from the fire and add some soaked wood chips on the fire to get the smoke going. REMEMBER the ham is cooked by this point, so I'm only adding some smoky-notes. If you leave it on too long, you'll dry it out and you'll have pork-jerky.

Doing a raw ham from scratch on a grill takes a long time and regular checking of the fire level. This is far easier with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back