Peak tutoral on radiator flushing is WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
You guys and your distilled water....

The "you guys" would include many vehicle manufacturer owners manuals and the AF makers themselves that recommend distilled water, and use deionized/(distilled) water in their 50/50 premix AFs. Seems they might know something about it.

Before aluminum blocks and heads I used to use a flushing tee with tap water. Now distilled water only, it's inexpensive and readily available. Cheap insurance imo to maintain the recommended long service interval AFs.

That said, if the local tap water is relatively soft, ie., low in mineral content, suppose it could be ok as an alternative. For the reasons given, just not for me.

I agree , cheap insurance . RO water at Watermill Express is $ .25 a gallon , you bring your own container .

http://www.watermillexpress.com/

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
That said, if the local tap water is relatively soft, ie., low in mineral content, suppose it could be ok as an alternative. For the reasons given, just not for me.

Yep, there's no point in loading up the chelation agents with hard water. When I lived in the City of Milwaukee the tap water from Lake Michigan was extremely soft and you could use it for anything including for a battery. But here in the suburbs where it comes from a well it's an entirely different situation.

Being able to safely drink it is in many ways not related to whether it is suitable for use in a cooling system.

I suppose the " hard " in our hard water is calcium compounds ? Propably adds calcium to your diet . Probably beneficial for people , not for cars .

I had a 1966 Mercury Comet 289 that I had to have the radiator rodded out ( in my younger years ) from using too much tap water .

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
If you change your coolant on a regular basis why do you have to flush the system with water? Seems pointless.

Because you will never get all of the old coolant out by just draining the radiator.

Originally Posted By: Kira
To Sayjac: You said, "As for contact, don't know about now but in past always been responsive to my inquiries using that contact method."

You're right but the OP's communication wasn't in the "page of responses" given to the monkey to reference. Also, since his communication was a criticism/correction he probably erased it to avoid being the bearer of bad news.

As stated in the original post, the contact us link on the peak website did not work, was down or who knows. I deeply resent the accusation that I erased something.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
My owners manual for my 03 says the coolant capacity is around 25 quarts. When I changed it years ago, I used just shy of 4 gallons, so 19 quarts, leaving 5 quarts of water in the block after the flush.

Just shy of 4 gallons would be about 15 quarts, leaving 10 quarts (2.5 gallons) of water.

Yep I was struggling to stay awake so my math was not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back