PDD files, old software, old computers...new problem

So now,it's $240/year! Yeah...probably not.

How critical is the ability to retain all the old layers and then edit those layers going forward?

If you just need to open then convert to something like JPEG or TIFF, the 2-wee trial of Photoshop should cover that.

If you need ongoing editing of layers, I'd still use the 2 week trial to export them as .psd files, which should keep the layers perfectly intact and editable. Then, as much as this is going to be a mess, use one of several converters to convert them to .xcd, which is the GIMP format, and edit in GIMP going forward. GIMP is free and open source-I'm not the biggest fan of it but it's a very capable piece of software.

How critical is the ability to retain all the old layers and then edit those layers going forward?

It's the single most important thing he does with the files.

If you just need to open then convert to something like JPEG or TIFF, the 2-wee trial of Photoshop should cover that.

If you need ongoing editing of layers, I'd still use the 2 week trial to export them as .psd files, which should keep the layers perfectly intact and editable. Then, as much as this is going to be a mess, use one of several converters to convert them to .xcd, which is the GIMP format, and edit in GIMP going forward. GIMP is free and open source-I'm not the biggest fan of it but it's a very capable piece of software.
Uhh...I have no clue what this means.

It's the single most important thing he does with the files.

Uhh...I have no clue what this means.

Editing layers means that they need to be converted to a format that supports layers.

PSD is a Photoshop file, and most importantly keeps layers fully editable and intact.

Gimp is a free and open source image editing program. It also can manipulate layers, and uses .xcd format files.

Photoshop should be able to perfectly convert the old PDD files to Photoshop format(PSD) files and keep all of the layers there and intact. Once they're in the modern PSD format, there are ways to convert them to XCD that should keep everything editable in GIMP, although it may not be perfect.

GIMP is probably your best bet if you want cheap since it is free. It does appear to be able to open .PDD files, so you should be able to open them directly, the save them in the standard .XCD format for GIMP. Might take a while to get it all done and you may have to make some changes to make it all look correct but its a lot better than paying $240 a year for a Photoshop subscription.

It's not that, it's more that he has no idea if the new (Win10, I think) PC will run the old software. (I'm pretty sure it was designed for XP.)
Why wouldn't you (he) at least try to install the software on the new PC? There's plenty of old software that I run on newer OS, no way I would buy that much new software every time the OS was upgraded, just to get the same jobs done and have to relearn a new GUI.

Anyway, IDK if the version # matters but archive.org seems to have (all?) versions:

Follow these steps, worked for me a minute ago:

1) Downloading file... https://archive.org/compress/photodeluxe_202007 ... unzip it.

2) Used Daemon Tools to mount the ISO and extract files from it, just make a folder and put them there (or whatever you want to use to get the files accessible, or burn a CD)

3) Run Autoplay.exe, pick USA country, Accept License Agreement, clickity click click Install button... and it seems to do nothing, just sit there. Abort.

4) Go into ENGLISH\INSTALL folder and run SETUP.EXE

5) This is a critical moment. It sits there at 100% decompressing window, looks like it stalled but it did not, Just Wait A Minute.

6) Turquoise colored window pops up, Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 4.0 Setup, click next, and I chose Custom to install ALL things.

7) It wants you to enter User Information, I chose blah blah blah for all fields. The serial # is already there. Click Next, and it installs.

8) It seems to stall for a minute installing components. Just Wait.

9) At the end of installation, there is a checkmark box to Register Adobe Photo Deluxe. I just uncheckmarked that because I doubt registration server is still working today.

10) Restart computer, launch PhotoDeluxe. It states not enough memory.

11) Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 4.0\PD4.exe", right click, properties, compatibility tab, choose Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For: Windows XP (Service Pack 3), click apply, and launch program again.

12) I've no idea how to use it, don't care to, but it seems to run fine.

Just give him a link to this post.

Why wouldn't you (he) at least try to install the software on the new PC? There's plenty of old software that I run on newer OS, no way I would buy that much new software every time the OS was upgraded, just to get the same jobs done and have to relearn a new GUI.

Anyway, IDK if the version # matters but archive.org seems to have (all?) versions:

Follow these steps, worked for me a minute ago:

1) Downloading file... https://archive.org/compress/photodeluxe_202007 ... unzip it.

2) Used Daemon Tools to mount the ISO and extract files from it, just make a folder and put them there (or whatever you want to use to get the files accessible, or burn a CD)

3) Run Autoplay.exe, pick USA country, Accept License Agreement, clickity click click Install button... and it seems to do nothing, just sit there. Abort.

4) Go into ENGLISH\INSTALL folder and run SETUP.EXE

5) This is a critical moment. It sits there at 100% decompressing window, looks like it stalled but it did not, Just Wait A Minute.

6) Turquoise colored window pops up, Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 4.0 Setup, click next, and I chose Custom to install ALL things.

7) It wants you to enter User Information, I chose blah blah blah for all fields. The serial # is already there. Click Next, and it installs.

8) It seems to stall for a minute installing components. Just Wait.

9) At the end of installation, there is a checkmark box to Register Adobe Photo Deluxe. I just uncheckmarked that because I doubt registration server is still working today.

10) Restart computer, launch PhotoDeluxe. It states not enough memory.

11) Browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 4.0\PD4.exe", right click, properties, compatibility tab, choose Run This Program In Compatibility Mode For: Windows XP (Service Pack 3), click apply, and launch program again.

12) I've no idea how to use it, don't care to, but it seems to run fine.

Just give him a link to this post.
Great post! That's what I suggested earlier, if he still had the disc, he could just re-install it and run it in Compatibility Mode, but thank you for taking the effort to find the installer online in case he doesn't!

Back