PB Blaster On A BCG?

I just got home from shooting my 300 Black Out at my friends back yard range. His cousin was there shooting his BCM rifle with looked like 10 lbs. of junk bolted onto it. :D
He let me shoot it, but other than all of the silly doo dads he had on it, it shot like ANY other AR-15.
What got me is what he did after we were finished shooting. He pulled the BCG out of it and sprayed it down with PB Blaster! He then put it back in the rifle. I didn't question him because l had just met the guy.
But, PB Blaster on a BCG? AM l missing something here? 🤔

I don't use it ( for that) but that's just because I have a different set of chemicals so I have no preference but PB blaster is a very well suited product for weapons and does a very good job breaking carbon products and leaving a good protective lubricating film.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it

I don't use it ( for that) but that's just because I have a different set of chemicals so I have no preference but PB blaster is a very well suited product for weapons and does a very good job breaking carbon products and leaving a good protective lubricating film.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it
The ONLY thing l can come up with is, he sprayed it to loosen up the fouling so it would be easier to clean? Is that possible?
I have only used PBB to remove rusted items. Maybe he knows something about PBB that l don't?

I would say probable more than possible because that's something PB is very good at.

It has very aggressive solvents in it in addition to a decent reasonably tacky lubricant coating.

If I could tolerate the smell better I would use it more than I do

I would say probable more than possible because that's something PB is very good at.

It has very aggressive solvents in it in addition to a decent reasonably tacky lubricant coating.

If I could tolerate the smell better I would use it more than I do
Ever since I saw that test at the hardware stores, where PBB would melt a styrofoam cup, l knew it was some potent stuff! l would only use it if l didn't have any KROIL.

Stuff stanks real bad to me. Any gas run firearm I tend to use a good lube that has minimal aroma, especially a gun that runs a bit wet. PB B'ster will work but..............phew like wasp and diaper attractant.

After a good cleaning , I have been known to run an AR wet with ATF , especially for break in .
My grandfather would use a mixture of Kerosene and ATF when cleaning his firearms and knives. He used 3 IN ONE oil to lube them. I still use 3 IN ONE oil to this day.
3IN1 OIL.jpeg

When I was a teenager , I used 3 in one oil as gun oil . Mother used it on her sewing machine , so I called it sewing machine oil .

I use Shooters Choice copper remover to clean guns with . Then Hopies #9 to kill the " ammonia " in the Shooters Choice .

If you want a little thicker oil , 5W-30 , either conventional or synthetic seems to work OK . Especially in summer .

When I was a teenager , I used 3 in one oil as gun oil . Mother used it on her sewing machine , so I called it sewing machine oil .

I use Shooters Choice copper remover to clean guns with . Then Hopies #9 to kill the " ammonia " in the Shooters Choice .

If you want a little thicker oil , 5W-30 , either conventional or synthetic seems to work OK . Especially in summer .
Yes Sir, you are absolutely correct!
I have an eye dropper filled with some AMSOIL SS 5W30 oil. I use it, Ballistol, Hoppes gun oil, 3 IN ONE oil, or Lucas Oil Stabilizer, on my pistol rails and moving revolver parts. I like to use the AMSOIL on my BCG's. Believe me when l say this, it sure does help when cleaning the fouling off of them (BCG's).

I just got home from shooting my 300 Black Out at my friends back yard range. His cousin was there shooting his BCM rifle with looked like 10 lbs. of junk bolted onto it. :D
He let me shoot it, but other than all of the silly doo dads he had on it, it shot like ANY other AR-15.
What got me is what he did after we were finished shooting. He pulled the BCG out of it and sprayed it down with PB Blaster! He then put it back in the rifle. I didn't question him because l had just met the guy.
But, PB Blaster on a BCG? AM l missing something here? 🤔
Rifles should not have junk bolted to them for the sake of it. Yes, my guns may weigh 10#, but each item has purpose that adds capability.

As to cleaning, I just use a slip 2000 damped microfiber a d wipe things down. Field strip the bcg, wipe it down by component. You dont want to constantly chemically degrease it. You wouldn't do this to any other machine, no? One does not flush acetone through an engine for an oil change. This is what I see most people do, with brake cleaners etc.

PB blaster...just no. This truly has no relevance to a proper PM program or cleaning regimen for a functional, frequently used firearm. Cleaning up the old civil war musket? Mayhap, lol

Rifles should not have junk bolted to them for the sake of it. Yes, my guns may weigh 10#, but each item has purpose that adds capability.

As to cleaning, I just use a slip 2000 damped microfiber a d wipe things down. Field strip the bcg, wipe it down by component. You dont want to constantly chemically degrease it. You wouldn't do this to any other machine, no? One does not flush acetone through an engine for an oil change. This is what I see most people do, with brake cleaners etc.

PB blaster...just no. This truly has no relevance to a proper PM program or cleaning regimen for a functional, frequently used firearm. Cleaning up the old civil war musket? Mayhap, lol
I agree. But he had 2 lights, a bi-pod, 45* pop up sights, an MBUS sight, a Vortex red dot, sling attachments, extra mag attachments on the stock, and a few other items I can't remember. It reminds me of the pic I posted below.
TOO MUCH.jpg

I agree. But he had 2 lights, a bi-pod, 45* pop up sights, an MBUS sight, a Vortex red dot, sling attachments, extra mag attachments on the stock, and a few other items I can't remember. It reminds me of the pic I posted below.
View attachment 27546
Oh lort! Now, the 2 lights I can understand if you're running a CQBL or similar, if one of the lights is 850/940nm, but otherwise, that sounds like a soup sandwich.

Granted there are a zillion million opinions on all things weapons cleaning related and they all are what they are but I find this statement odd.

What makes you feel this way about PB and why?

There is no significant difference between it and a thousand other concoctions ( some marketed as "gun oil" even) out there both manufactured and home brewed.

PB Blaster never worked well for me on rusted bolts and I really hated the smell.

I don’t have any around any more. I filed it in the “circular file”.

Kroil works well as a penetrating oil, and I would be fine using it on a BCG.

Back