Payload capacity is there for a reason...YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the why did they even load it.

Yards load stuff all the time and know what should go into what.

I had a yard refuse to load too much gravel in the back of a truck due to weight.
I had to make two trips (and don't blame them, I did not realize how heavy the gravel was).

Heck, I am wanting to get a rock maybe 1/3 that size and debating getting a trailer vs loading it in the back of my F150 due to how the heck am I going to get it out of the bed when I get home.

Put on the flashers, head to the left lane of the freeway.
Then, dive for your offramp with only 50 feet left.

A month ago I I needed some grass. I bought a pallet and told them to load it. I didn’t realize a pallet weighs 1800 lbs. needless to say only took half and I figured my 300 couldn’t haul the load with my bumper on the ground. It squatted pretty good with half a pallet. I believe that was max payload when new

Jeez boys, I had an old 1955 Ford F2 that was rated at 3/4 ton. We took that to mean three or four tons depending on material. Was 4080 tare weight. Came out the gravel pit many times at 12,000+ and drove it home. Front end was a little light ...

That Ranger can handle it all except the rear wheel bearings which run directly on the axle steel. If he made it home, the rear end was going down hill from there ...

As above: "...the rear wheel bearings which run directly on the axle steel."
You need a compression resistant grease in that application.

The truck doesn't look like a junkyard sourced prop used to make a funny video (ergo it's a registered, road-worthy vehicle).
I have to conclude all the people involved are stupid.

I suspect the owner didn't care. If it broke... it broke. Get another truck and move on. I wouldn't call this "calculated" but I get the feeling that failure was an option.

I wonder if the spring perch broke, or if just busted the spring. Didn't the Rangers have rivets that gave up on the perches? The way it dropped on the right side makes me think something gave up.

Back in the day, the local son of the rich guy who owned the local supermarket had an HQ one tonner...I was dropping off a trailer of green waste, and he was there with his ute.

just like this, only an earlier model (rounded headlights), and black...
holden-hq-one-tonner-5.jpg

Kid wanted a "bucket" of sand...guy said he wouldn't sell him a bucket (front end loader, about the same size as the video in the OP)...it had been raining, the sand was wet, he had Goodyear Eager tyres, not LT tyres...just no.

Kid got all uppity, explained that he was buying by volume, not weight, and that he wasn't leaving without a bucket of sand in the back of his ute.

So it got delivered...and the effect was very much like that...and he DID drive off.

I have a similar true story. My neighbor was having his 30 foot long sidewalk replaced. The crew that did it were two independent fellows that figured they could do the job for a cheap price.

Their plan was to jack hammer the existing sidewalk into pieces, and use a small bobcat to lift those pieces into a smallish UHAUL trailer that I hoped they had purchased or rented rather than stealing it. They had the trailer maybe one quarter filled, and it was obvious to me that the weight limit for the trailer had been just been exceeded. I advised them and suggested they haul that load to the recycling center before adding to the load.

Needless to say, they kept loading until the trailer resembled that truck after hitting bottom. They left that trailer there for quite some time. I suspected they abandoned the trailer and that my neighbor would be stuck with it parked outside his house. Eventually those fellows (who were local) were shamed into getting rid of it, not quite sure how they did it though.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Jeez boys, I had an old 1955 Ford F2 that was rated at 3/4 ton. We took that to mean three or four tons depending on material. Was 4080 tare weight. Came out the gravel pit many times at 12,000+ and drove it home. Front end was a little light ...

That Ranger can handle it all except the rear wheel bearings which run directly on the axle steel. If he made it home, the rear end was going down hill from there ...

Those old pickups were work horses. My brother has a 1949 International KB that once hauled a FarmAll tractor for a friend. The tricky part was getting it on and off the truck. That truck didn’t complain one bit.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Put on the flashers, head to the left lane of the freeway.
Then, dive for your offramp with only 50 feet left.

I laughed quite hard at this, but it is unbelievable how true it is.

Originally Posted By: supton
I suspect the owner didn't care. If it broke... it broke. Get another truck and move on. I wouldn't call this "calculated" but I get the feeling that failure was an option.

I wonder if the spring perch broke, or if just busted the spring. Didn't the Rangers have rivets that gave up on the perches? The way it dropped on the right side makes me think something gave up.

The rivets don't fail, the spring shackles and the brackets rust out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
blew up a rear end if he drove it any distance

I’ll bet the frame snapped or bent badly. The driveline probably bit the dust as well.

This had to be staged, I find it hard to be all of those guys could be that dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back