pay cut at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think people should quit getting upset as you are not getting foreclosed nor thrown out of a rental in the next few months nor lights/water cut.

Important is roof over head(check), food, ,lights/water transport . Food only challenge is at the moment without money.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Personally I think people should quit getting upset as you are not getting foreclosed nor thrown out of a rental in the next few months nor lights/water cut.

Important is roof over head(check), food, ,lights/water transport . Food only challenge is at the moment without money.

Scary times, but I 100% agree stay safe and try and keep a cool head.
If you get the chance to help out someone, please try and do so.
We are getting there...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by madRiver

Scary times, but I 100% agree stay safe and try and keep a cool head.
If you get the chance to help out someone, please try and do so.
We are getting there...

I brought some stuff to Mom today...a couple books, a box of paper masks for Dad (she is retired, but he's still working), and some random groceries she couldn't find easily...rice, a jar of mayo, and of all things, wide egg noodles. One less trip she needs to make to the market.

Also, since she noted that the ground beef in the supermarket is limited and usually not lean, I brought her 3lbs each of 93% and 85% lean.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I brought some stuff to Mom today...a couple books, a box of paper masks for Dad (she is retired, but he's still working), and some random groceries she couldn't find easily...rice, a jar of mayo, and of all things, wide egg noodles. One less trip she needs to make to the market.

Also, since she noted that the ground beef in the supermarket is limited and usually not lean, I brought her 3lbs each of 93% and 85% lean.

Well done. Take care of your folks while you have them.
Bravo!

Economy will eventually return to normal. When is the big question ?

I was reading after 9-11 attacks it took 2 years to get air travel passenger volume back to pre 9-11 levels.

A few small business owners I know (auto repair shop, yoga studio, restaurant, dry cleaner, contractor electrician) all their business has dried up and will file for PPP. It might be too little financial help way too late to make an impact to keep their doors open.

Even at hospitals, pandemic pay is 70% of regular hourly pay. With all elective surgeries canceled, lots of nurses and support staff like physical therapists, patient care assistants, etc... have been sent home and working half their normal schedule.

It's time to re-open the economy after April 20th. Runs much longer like this, when food banks run out, and people spend all their stimulus check, there may begin to be disorder, looting of grocery stores, and break down of order especially in large urban areas but really anywhere. Might be able to keep squeaking the lock down through May 1st but if anyone thinks it can extend beyond that without deploying troops and martial law, you're beginning to stretch it. Sorry for the gloom and doom but tons of people are already starting to experience feelings of desperation, laid off, no stimulus yet, no unemployment income yet, no savings, no food in the fridge. Remember, only about half of the adult population of this country earn enough to owe federal tax. That's a fair number of people to expect them to just lay down and take it in the wazoo. That people may rise up and take matters into their own hands is possibility. That could be much worse for this country than an increase in disease transmission.

Plenty of people hurting right now.
I really should consider myself lucky to still have a paying job yet I worry about going in on those days I don't work from home.
I do agree with you that after a certain amount of time some in those of the must work to survive cohort will take to the streets.
Add to that the many of us who thought we had a retirement plan in place a couple of months ago who may now have to work additional years.
A bad situation but then every generation has had its severe challenges and has lived and grown through them.
We'll come out the other side stronger and wiser,

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
It's time to re-open the economy after April 20th. Runs much longer like this, when food banks run out, and people spend all their stimulus check, there may begin to be disorder, looting of grocery stores, and break down of order especially in large urban areas but really anywhere. Might be able to keep squeaking the lock down through May 1st but if anyone thinks it can extend beyond that without deploying troops and martial law, you're beginning to stretch it. Sorry for the gloom and doom but tons of people are already starting to experience feelings of desperation, laid off, no stimulus yet, no unemployment income yet, no savings, no food in the fridge. Remember, only about half of the adult population of this country earn enough to owe federal tax. That's a fair number of people to expect them to just lay down and take it in the wazoo. That people may rise up and take matters into their own hands is possibility. That could be much worse for this country than an increase in disease transmission.

Very well spoken. I have been helping out at my villages local Vietnam vets place and food bank. Still donating platelets also.

Currently watching "Cinderella man"

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
LoneRanger,

The entire National Guard already has contingency plans in place....

Around me the police are following folks like nuts. Had one harass me other day when I was pulling into local park near me. He left though

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
On the subject of "paper millionaires", a million bucks ain't what it used to be. The big question is, how much money could you lay your hands on, in cash, in an hour? one day? a week? If you're not at least reasonably liquid paper assets don't mean much.

This.

Back in the 90s around here 1M get you 2.5 nice house, now it gets you 1/2 a nice house. Income probably double to almost triple as well.

Right now if you don't have at least 10M in asset - debt you are just a middle class, nothing to be bragging about.

Another problem I see right now, is that people who need work the most (low income, senior, etc) are the one who have the highest risk factor due to poor health, age, lack of health care (i.e. insurance), and cannot stop working despite having symptoms of being ill. You combine this together and you are going to accelerate the amount of people dying when this drag on, whether you continue to self isolation (they are out of jobs and they work hiding their symptom, spreading it around) or not (people spread virus around like in NYC and Italy). These people can't work from home or keep 6' away from each other (some businesses can't work like that).

Last edited:
$1M is a lot of money if you live in Humpy Dumpty, Iowa or Two Horsetown, FL..... not so much money in California, New York, New Jersey or DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back