Parking lots filled with backlog of unfinished Super Duties visible from space.

If my situation was a bit different in October of 2017, I would have bought a 5 speed Mirage. I really like those cars. Basic, simple transportation that gets insanely good fuel economy. Unfortunately I still need the capability of the Forester.
I remember. We both shopped that, and the Versa. Neither of us bought. ;) My point is, if there was big demand, there'd be sales. In reality there's just enough for a presence, and not overwhelming sales.

I remember. We both shopped that, and the Versa. Neither of us bought. ;) My point is, if there was big demand, there'd be sales. In reality there's just enough for a presence, and not overwhelming sales.

I do chuckle every time I drive through Rome, NY on the way to my parents' . Probably 2/3 of the newer vehicles on the road there are either a Mirage Sedan or Hatch. Not any good paying jobs and people need reliable transportation. So that's what they end up buying.

But the next metro area over (Syracuse) they really aren't that common.

The Drive reports on the thousands of Super Duty trucks from the Louisville Ford plant, being stockpiled one hour away at Kentucky Speedway... unfinished.

Ford is one bad hail storm, or one tornado, away from a small disaster.

So, I guess a question. Once they get the chips, can they put up tents and finish these trucks on site... and then ship them out from the racetrack, or do they have to truck them all back to the plant in Louisville? The story would suggest that they'll be completed at the track, and then shipped from there.

I really hope these auto manufacturers learn a thing or two, from what all has happened in the past 15 months.
Lot's of white trucks.

Pretty sure this will continue having people work from home... Also makes me realize that it would be a very wise idea to keep my Equinox at the end of my lease (at the end of this year) Who knows when production catches up-people may not realize just how bad it is. I’ve also heard rumors of folks not being able to buy out their leases because fresh autos are needed so bad. Had a co worker who wants to keep her Escape-but the dealership told her there is no longer an option to buy-just turn it in early and lease what is available. I’m not even sure what to tell her.... she really likes the car now.....
The lease is a legal document. It depends what the lease says are options at lease end. I would find it hard to believe if she has the right to buy the Escape at lease end-the dealer has the right to say no you cant. Does Ford reserve the right to cancel the provision that allows her to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease? Obviously-she needs to read the entire lease documents to know for sure.

The disposable Mirage has several 400,000 mile plus examples buzzing around with minimal maintenance

I’ve found cheap does not always coorelate with unreliable
i’m talking about the disposable cars of the past

4389F740-BA64-4695-B835-7D99BBE73E9E.jpeg

Makes me wonder if it is just a salesperson trying to make money. The dealership itself has a pretty good rep. I did mention talking to the lender itself......

ya I bet that they're desperate (As has been mentioned by others, dealers eager to buy used cars to sell) to get something on the lot. Glad you told your co-worker to talk directly to the leasing company! exactly.. You'll probably be her hero once she finds out she can buy it out at the end of the lease!.. (y)

I know somebody selling a 1986 Buick for people complaining about technological advancements. Would look great in their asbestos lined house too.

Guess how many chips in a modern car?
There can be easily 50 or more microprocessers in an advanced hybrid lux car. Thousands of semiconductors.

I see posters blaming the JIT manufacturing process. Suppliers build based on customer forecast. The top level forecasts were wrong.
As they say, "Blame yourself!"

And until car manufacturers get smarter about high tech products, they will be overly dependent on suppliers. There is one high tech company that designs its own chips and has over the air updates. That way, they can update the firmware instead of having to build a new chip. By the way, this car company does not use the same chips as most car manufacturers. That was by decision.

There are iniatives to bring back chip making to the US. But it is expensive. Do you know what it takes to build one new fab? Probably $10B or more.

Pretty sure this will continue having people work from home... Also makes me realize that it would be a very wise idea to keep my Equinox at the end of my lease (at the end of this year) Who knows when production catches up-people may not realize just how bad it is. I’ve also heard rumors of folks not being able to buy out their leases because fresh autos are needed so bad. Had a co worker who wants to keep her Escape-but the dealership told her there is no longer an option to buy-just turn it in early and lease what is available. I’m not even sure what to tell her.... she really likes the car now.....
Tell her to read her contract. The dealer is salivating over that lease return.

Most lease contracts include a buyout option. It may not normally be a great deal but these aren't normal times.

The lease is a legal document. It depends what the lease says are options at lease end. I would find it hard to believe if she has the right to buy the Escape at lease end-the dealer has the right to say no you cant. Does Ford reserve the right to cancel the provision that allows her to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease? Obviously-she needs to read the entire lease documents to know for sure.
If it the usual lease that Ford does around here, I would bet it does have a buyout option. I know in my case, that I can buy my Equinox, and what the price is. There is a good chance that it could even be cheaper (would like to think production would be almost normal by the end of the year) And most likely the Nox will get bought, as my son will be learning how to drive in the next few years- a well cared for used car. ;-) I think my co worker will end up with hers, as she plans to put some money down to take it home. Hopefully she will let me know how it went......

so the american public should go back to buying new disposable cars every couple of years?

nice
The basic cars are not necessarily disposable...most of the time today the mfrs could decontent and the cars would be very reliable...

The disposable Mirage has several 400,000 mile plus examples buzzing around with minimal maintenance

I’ve found cheap does not always coorelate with unreliable
Absolutely correct..many 1990s cars that were cheap or very inexpensive were super reliable. That was probably the sweet spot for just tge right amount of basic electronics for good engine management and too not for much else in economical cars

"I really hope these auto manufacturers learn a thing or two, from what all has happened in the past 15 months."

I really hope America learns a thing or two, from what happened in the last 15 months....for instance.....who is responsible for our dependence on China for anti-biotics... etc....

Absolutely correct..many 1990s cars that were cheap or very inexpensive were super reliable. That was probably the sweet spot for just tge right amount of basic electronics for good engine management and too not for much else in economical cars

It is quite interesting to see so many mid to late 90s Toyota Camrys and Avalons still on the road....

Those cars were built to last and have simple yet reliable design.

I agree with Ryan about a cheaper car being extremely reliable too.

Chevy Cavaliers and Pontiac Vibes are not expensive yet those vehicles were on average pretty good in longevity.

Back