Parkerizing / Oil / & Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Parkerizing has been around a lot longer than many of the newer, more modern firearms finishes, a lot of younger shooters might not understand how it "works" so to speak. Parkerizing is different than most all of the newer, more modern firearms finishes on the market today, in that it offers very little protection on it's own.

Parkerizing itself is only a media for holding oil near the steel itself. Thereby allowing the oil to protect the firearm steel from rust. Parkerizing left dry and free from oil offers almost no protection in the way of rustproofing. It requires oil to be effective. The question then becomes how much, and how often?

This is a matter of personal preference and location. Also if the gun is carried in a leather holster or not. If the gun is exposed to high levels of rain or humidity, or stored in a leather holster, it will require more and heavier oiling than if it's contained in a Nylon type of holster in a dry, desert climate.

Through the years I have found the best way to initially treat Parkerizing, is to oil it very heavily, and allow it to "soak in" overnight. Then, with a absorbent cloth, or a paper towel, blot up as much of the excess oil as possible. Don't wipe or scrub the surface because it will transfer lint like crazy, because of the Parkerizing's naturally rough surface. If you live in a humid climate you will want to repeat this process often to be sure the surface of the Parkerizing itself has oil contained in it. Oil saturated Parkerizing has a darker color to it. Dry Parkerizing has a more greyish cast. Below is a picture of my Springfield Loaded Parkerized 1911 pistol. You can clearly see the surface is wet with oil. A Parkerized firearm in this condition will all but never rust.

Parkerizing requires more maintenance, but properly cared for it will serve it's purpose well.

Parkerizing is also an AWESOME subtrate for the newer finishes like KG gunkote, Duracoat, or Cerakote.

I have found another great treatment aside from oil on parkerizing is old school Linwax (mix of 1/3 turpentine, boiled linseed oil, and beeswax). You heat the wax till it melts, add the BLO, and finally the turpentine. It turns to a paste when cool that you can rub on a surface and melt with a heat gun. Really works awesome to waterproof fabric too.

Last edited:
Parkerization requires more maintenance than what exactly?

Bluing? Stainless? Nickel? Cerakote?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Bluing. Although stainless needs some love too if you carry it in humid areas and sweat all over it. It will start to corrode. I prefer hard chrome over stainless for a carry finish.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Bluing. Although stainless needs some love too if you carry it in humid areas and sweat all over it. It will start to corrode. I prefer hard chrome over stainless for a carry finish.

Bluing needs less maintenance? Seems any time I touch my blued guns I need to wipe them with something else...

Bluing looks nicer generally, but parkerization has less glare and holds oil better.

One could argue bluing and Parkerizing are about equal in rust resistance. Bluing can be waxed, and that helps with rusting. But the only way to keep a Parkerized gun rust free is with oil, and plenty of it. If both are left dry, the Parkerized gun will be more likely to rust first. You most likely won't see it, because the rust has to develop enough to be seen under the Parkerizing.

I love the parkerizing on original WWII 1911A1's. I have a 1945 Remington in excellent condition. I bought a 1911A1 replica..vastly inferior looking. Sold it to bro-in-law. Bought a couple glocks with the $$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Bluing needs less maintenance? Seems any time I touch my blued guns I need to wipe them with something else...

Bluing looks nicer generally, but parkerization has less glare and holds oil better.

Sorry I brainfarted on that one. I meant that bluing is the one finish that is more demanding. Good catch. Although a very rough matte bluing will hold oil almost as well. A high polish is probably the worst carry finish possible.

Originally Posted By: Al
I love the parkerizing on original WWII 1911A1's. I have a 1945 Remington in excellent condition. I bought a 1911A1 replica..vastly inferior looking. Sold it to bro-in-law. Bought a couple glocks with the $$$$$$$$$

Some of the WW2 guns were blued though. Some Remington Rands, Ithacas, and (All) Singers guns were treated with the DuLite finish. The Remington and Ithaca guns were much rougher giving them something somewhat resembling a parked look while the Singers were closer to polished and had more of a blue tint to their finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back