PAO or Ester ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Then why would other oil companies use more expensive PAOs and Esters?

For several reasons.

1 - They want to make a finished product that cannot be economically or practically produced with a Group III - e.g., 0W-20, 10W-40 Mobil 1 MX4T.

2 - They are a finisher not a manufacturer. They are buying PAOS and/or esters for other products where they are necessary and want to minimize buying/holding a vast assortments of products.

3 - They are a boutique brand and wish to advertise an "100% ester" or some other unique formulation as a selling point.

Just curious....why does it have to always be either or? Does anyone run, just as an example, half Redline and half Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
Just curious....why does it have to always be either or? Does anyone run, just as an example, half Redline and half Amsoil?

Because if you mix oils, their chemistries might compete and you won't get the best of either of them.

I've never seen an oil company say you should not mix oils...most say "compatible with all blah blah blah". When it comes to the actually chemical reactions between motor oils, that's above my level of knowledge on the subject but I have never seen or heard of someone mixing two oils and creating something that would damage their engine.

Is anyone out there mixing who has some UOA's?

I've never seen an oil company say you should not mix oils...most say "compatible with all blah blah blah".

That just means they won't blow something up if you mix them.

When it comes to the actually chemical reactions between motor oils, that's above my level of knowledge on the subject but I have never seen or heard of someone mixing two oils and creating something that would damage their engine.

Why does everyone think "you won't get the best results" means "something will break?"

It's not that the engine will be damaged. It's that the mix might not perform as well as either oil would on its own.

So with all this talk about the PAO based Amsoil & POLYOLESTER based Redline oils, what do you think about the NEO oils? I see that they been around a long time too. Thanks Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back