Windshield wiper no fluid fix

My overengineered MB threw me a unique problem where the windshield wiper fluid wasn't coming out inspite of the motor being engaged.

What next go onto YouTube and there was a detailed explanation on how to open up and clean the pump plastic screen. I simply couldn't fathom how black gunk would get into the screen other than mold and made me pained to open this all up to clean the screen.

I dropped 2oz of full bleach into the tank and after two days the pump sprays water.

My shortcut FAQ for someone who has similar issues w/ overengineered autos

Sounds like a simple fix, that turned out well for you.

Do you think the bleach can cause any damage to anything in the system? Are you planning on running the tank to empty, before you fill it again? Just to be safe?

I doubt it (its all plastic tubing and a measly $10 water pump) for 1G tank few oz. of bleach is preventive maintenance!!

My overengineered MB threw me a unique problem where the windshield wiper fluid wasn't coming out inspite of the motor being engaged.

What next go onto YouTube and there was a detailed explanation on how to open up and clean the pump plastic screen. I simply couldn't fathom how black gunk would get into the screen other than mold and made me pained to open this all up to clean the screen.

I dropped 2oz of full bleach into the tank and after two days the pump sprays water.

My shortcut FAQ for someone who has similar issues w/ overengineered autos
Rain-X?

I have always used ST maybe should try RainX - how hard is it for these manufactures to put some anti-mold (not necessarily bleach) stuff into it!! Stagnant water with heat from surrounding engine heat is a perfect conditions for mold.

I have always used ST maybe should try RainX - how hard is it for these manufactures to put some anti-mold (not necessarily bleach) stuff into it!! Stagnant water with heat from surrounding engine heat is a perfect conditions for mold.
I think he's asking if you were using Rain-X. It causes similar problems.

Rain-X is known to cause big problems.
The heat from the engine is always welcomed in winter months. Here in some environments where I drive, the simple freezing point of -25 or 30 won't cut it unless fluid is heated too, and nozzles. I used ST in BMW X5 and my current BMW, and both heat fluid a lot, including heated nozzles. 328 I have nozzles on lights, but never had an issue. And I go through many 40 gallons of stuff in the winter.

I would use alcohol instead of bleach. That windshield fluid does end up in your windshield and parts of the vehicle. With prolonged use it will cause corrosion. Get denatured alcohol and use that instead.

I simply add a splash of concentrated window cleaner I got from Home Depot. Cleans very well and no problems with mold.

Don’t put Rain-X in your MB. If the reservoir is heated, the “slime” will come out of solution, coat all the internals of the pump and tank, causing leaks, problems and ultimately, big $$.

ST?

Also, why do you have mold in there? are you running straight water in your system?
IIRC, all winter rated windshield washer fluid has alcohol in it (that's how it keeps from freezing).
As I understand it, that's not an environment that's conducive to growing mold.

SuperTech and don't know why there was mold over the screen - and couldn't explain if it was mold/anything else. All that I know was the nozzle wouldn't squirt and the bleach did cleanup anything (possibly mold). Moving forward alcohol seems like a perfect answer to mold in the tank.

Back