Paint protection. It’s all futile.

Don't park under trees, or where birds like to crap.
Try to keep it in a dark garage as much as possible.
Only use touchless car washes or hand wash.
Wax annually.
Don't tailgate people.

Other than that just drive it and stop worrying so much.

My 22 year old Prowler still looks great.
Parking next to mulch often leads to artillery fungus (black dots/spores stuck to the paint). Problem is, in malls etc., when one curbs the car, it's usually mulched...

Water beading. Looks nice, but seriously? What scientific evidence is there that water beading is more than wishful thinking?

And UV protection? Oh please. I’ve watched the videos with UV meters. Max was like 3% UVA reduction.

Oxidation? I’ve seen no controlled study on this either.

It all smells like marketing to me. If I had the means, I would go to a junkyard and get a body panel from a late model wrecked vehicle and leave it exposed outside for years. One side “protected” by these products and the other left barren. I suspect the difference would be none!

Note, I am ranting about long term protection. Not aesthetics. The products make a car look pretty for sure, but protection seems like a lost cause to me.

Is there any empirical evidence that wax/coatings/sealants/ceramics, blah blah blah, do anything but make us feel better?
All I know is that My 97 Geo was polished 3 times a year and waxed regularly. After 15 years the paint still looked new. I received regular compliments about it. I haven't had nearly the same time and my Neons paint isn't nearly as pristine.

Keeping your vehicles inside a garage or under a carport will help more than any product applied to the finish. My mom and dad's cars and trucks are kept in an insulated garage here in Alabama. Their car exteriors are mint even after 19 years. My dad just sold a 2004 Expedition with only 88K miles on it. It still had the "new" smell inside and the paint was flawless.

People seem to forget their geographical location plays a huge role on UV light exposure. The higher your latitude the lower UV exposure.

Cars in Canada will shine almost like new, but be full of rust patches and holes.

If UV light can cause severe skin burns after just several hours of exposure on a beach, a wax coating that is a fraction of a micron thick, stands absolutely no chance.

I bet if there were actual studies of this, the "protection" would probably be finished in few days, if there was any to begin with.

You guys both live in SoCal...that sun combined with what I'm guessing in both cases is not spectacular factory paint quality is likely your demise.
Exactly. Car has never been garaged out in Southern California sun for five years even with all the washes, polishes, sealants, waxes, etc. it didn’t stand a chance.

Coatings are definitely stronger at repelling oxidation and chemical resistance than your typical wax or Sio2 product simply due to their chemical composition. Whether they're worth the time and effort is subjective.

People with oxidation usually only wax their cars annually if not at all, all these different spray waxes don't last long, they are good when you have a good wax coat on the paint, I'm Old Skool, still use paste wax regularly, not into expensive coatings and wraps, all my cars have excellent paint for their ages, people either don't have time for their cars or are just too lazy to get out and perform regular preventive maintenance, I'm 70 and still enjoy getting out there, almost like therapy for me. ;)
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG

People with oxidation usually only wax their cars annually if not at all, all these different spray waxes don't last long, they are good when you have a good wax coat on the paint, I'm Old Skool, still use paste wax regularly, not into expensive coatings and wraps, all my cars have excellent paint for their ages, people either don't have time for their cars or are just too lazy to get out and perform regular preventive maintenance, I'm 70 and still enjoy getting out there, almost like therapy for me. ;)
View attachment 165077View attachment 165078View attachment 165079
Looks great! Especially that truck.

I think overall at this point I would say use what you enjoy and follow a process that you like. Everything else is secondary. IMO.

Last edited:
Purchased 2018 Forrester brand new five years ago immediately had the car ceramic coated, maintain monthly, regular wash, spray coating etc. after five years clear-coat failure so no I don’t think it makes a difference
No offense but It's because Subaru has lower quality paint. I have a 27 year old Sierra, 20 year old Volvo and 12 year old Honda and all the paint in near perfect. They have been sealed with one product or another their entire lives. It does help if you have decent paint from the start(all of these except for Volvo have had good and bad paint over the years depending on color. Volvo seems to always have decent paint):
VXAtKc4.jpg

gu4kRg5.jpg

nxpq2uk.jpg

The Asian brands have the worse paint quality. Any car less than 10 years old with clear coat failure will almost certainly be a Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, Kia, etc.

I have 2 cars in the "fleet", both with ppf on the full hood, full front fenders, A pillars, front of mirrors, roof in front of sunroof and full front bumpers. One is a 2016 Sorento parked outside and the second a 2019 RAV4 garaged. Both dark red color.
Had both waxed on non-ppf surfaces when ppf was applied. No wax since.
I notice zero paint color difference or water beading on non-ppf and ppf surfaces.
I do notice the lack of stone chips on either vehicle on the leading surfaces.

Right. I think against sun, it’s not worth all the effort to wax a car IF the goal is protecting against oxidation. Especially in Florida, where I am now.
Despite everything I said I’m moving forward with a full detail including decontamination and Clay bar. I’m not ready to give up just yet lol

Back