paint care - practical benefits ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any practical benefits of applying a paint sealer to a daily driver ? Especially in the rust belt where the sun and heat are not the main concern ?
The car is not garaged.

Tars, Tree saps, etching from bugs and bird poo, rail dust can cause rust to form in the clear.

I've been a KLASSE user for almost 20 yrs.

Last edited:
Sealers have been around for a long time(60s & 70s), maybe longer. But, how do you mean, "sealers"?
For example, do you mean, the new type of Ceramic Coatings that cost over $1000 to have it applied professionally?
Or just a home/driveway wax or silicone type sealer that can be purchased at any auto parts store or Walmart?

I've never used a sealer and my cars and all of my cars in the last ~40 years have always been outside ('cept the Firebird in my sig) with regular washings & something applied on the paint.

These days(the past 17-18 yrs), I quick detail, wax-as-U-dry, spray & wipe ect., "almost" after every wash. My cars look nice according to those in my circle. But, IDK how well or long sealers would work 'cause I haven't tried'em.

Yes you want to take care of your car. A good sealant will provide protection against the elements and nature. It also gives you an opportunity to catch small problems early in before they get big like a speck of rust or something loose.

Will sealer prevent clearcoat from peeling away? I have one car that is doing that (did it before I bought it).

Originally Posted by supton
Will sealer prevent clearcoat from peeling away? I have one car that is doing that (did it before I bought it).

Nothing will fix a bad paint job. You will remember a number of cars in the 90's and 00's had the mange. The automakers had issues transitioning to the newer paints.

Nope. Damage is done.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Nope. Damage is done.

But would it prevent it on other cars? I get it that my old car is kaput, don't care as I bought it as a beater. Will new cars have their clearcoat protected if waxed?

My other two have been waxed once or twice over the years, and once again need all sorts of rock chips dabbed over--and each has something bubbling up under the paint.

I'm not sure how much I care, they are both getting old and not too valuable now (too many salty winters, rock chips and are undesirable base models).

Some conditions are just harsh on paint and clearcoat. Driving in desert conditions with blowing sand or traveling frequently on gravel roads. There is nothing magical in those circumstances.

I drive in harsh weather conditions daily with my vehicles for work. I make sure I put a sealer on once a year and then just wash with a fast wax built into the wash product the rest of the year.
My Santa Fe that went to the scrap yard with 300K miles had perfect paint with the exception of a few stone chips I touched up with a paint pen.

Did the same with my Journey before I was T-Boned and the paint looked like show room condition before it was smashed. Although it only had 60K miles on it at time of death.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Some conditions are just harsh on paint and clearcoat. Driving in desert conditions with blowing sand or traveling frequently on gravel roads. There is nothing magical in those circumstances.

Apparently roads with sand too. All of my vehicles have badly pitted windshields after a few years, along with numerous chips in the paint. Sounds like waxing is a waste of time in my area. Fun to do when I have time, but, the car is going to look bad no matter what in short order.

But would it prevent it on other cars? I get it that my old car is kaput, don't care as I bought it as a beater. Will new cars have their clearcoat protected if waxed?

My other two have been waxed once or twice over the years, and once again need all sorts of rock chips dabbed over--and each has something bubbling up under the paint.

I'm not sure how much I care, they are both getting old and not too valuable now (too many salty winters, rock chips and are undesirable base models).

Absolutely. With nothing to protect it, it oxidizes and gets a little rough and dull, then it begins to yellow, and then, if there's enough of it left, it peels, or seemingly disappears. There are plenty of 5-10 year old cars running around my neck of the woods that look like they probably live outside, and the owner has never heard of wax / sealer. I can spot it from across the parking lot. They look dull and unloved, which is the first stage of deteriorating clear coat.

My 2015 Canyon lives outside 24/7 and looks to be new today, because it gets waxed 2-3 times a year, and has a spray sealer of some sort applied at every washing. The last problem I will ever have with this truck will be paint related.

Bubbling from underneath.....that's from poor prep at the factory.

Getting her tire rotation a couple of weeks ago.

Canyon.JPG

Originally Posted by DzoG20
Are there any practical benefits of applying a paint sealer to a daily driver ? Especially in the rust belt where the sun and heat are not the main concern? The car is not garaged.

Yes I see 2 potential benefits:
1) you care about the appearance of your car and you plan to keep it many years, so apply the sealer to keep it looking fresh.
2) your make/model has known paint issues and you want maximum resale value when the time comes to sell.
That's about it, IMO.

As mentioned above, if you like your daily driver and plan to keep it for a while, then taking care of it's finish will go a long way towards that.

IMHO, if a daily driver starts to look like crap, it becomes much less enjoyable to keep and drive every day. I feel that a good daily driver is one you ENJOY driving as well as reliable. The kind of car you want o keep as long as you can because finding another one that you enjoy as much can be difficult. Keeping my daily driver looking good means that every time I go to drive it, I feel good about being seen in it day after day.

...to that point, here is my daily driver, a 2010 Fusion with just under 273,000 miles. It gets driven every day, gets parked outside in my driveway at home, and frequently uncovered at work. Phoenix is unforgiving as far as paint goes - harsh sun, sandstorms, etc.. She gets regular washes and a quick wipe down with spray wax or sealant each time. At least twice per year, she gets a proper application of sealant or wax. This is the original paint. Pic taken roughly 2 weeks ago, just after a wash and spray-wax application.

[Linked Image]

The examples posted by WylieCoyote and SirTanon are clear proof that it is worth it to take care of your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back