Pad change issue

Changed the pads and rotors on my 2016 explorer today (z36 and centric premium).

The new pads have clips/springs on the side of the pads I assume to keep them off the rotors and cut down on rattle. The old pads did not have these.

Once installed and drove around I noticed the springs/clips are pulling the pads off the rotors like 1/4th of an inch. I am going to assume that is not normal and will just cause more travel in the peddle before stopping.

Can I just pull them off and cut the clips/springs off to match the old pads?

Changed the pads and rotors on my 2016 explorer today (z36 and centric premium).

The new pads have clips/springs on the side of the pads I assume to keep them off the rotors and cut down on rattle. The old pads did not have these.

Once installed and drove around I noticed the springs/clips are pulling the pads off the rotors like 1/4th of an inch. I am going to assume that is not normal and will just cause more travel in the peddle before stopping.

Can I just pull them off and cut the clips/springs off to match the old pads?
Give a test drive around the block and do some emergency stops. If its ok then just leave it. I put springs on my toyota and removed the extra shims that the idiot mechanic put on the rear pads, and the brakes work so much better. There was no more groaning on complete stop, and no more grinding noises.

The springs im talking about are the ones on the side of the pads, here is a pic for ref. My stock pads did not have them.

SMZHyqK.jpg

Newer vehicles have some fancy brake tech that will automatically position the pads close to the rotors when it’s raining in order to dry the surfaces and make ready for a sudden application of the brakes.

If these new pads interfere with the vehicle’s ability to actuate that functionality, not only does this comprise the safety of the vehicles occupants, but it could shift liability for any accidents and/or injuries resulting from a collision on rain-slick roads toward the driver running these pads.

Personally, I would want to have a really good reason for running something non-standard like this. If the manufacturer promises these extra pieces would return shorter braking distances or solved all my marital problems, that’s at least a reason to consider them.

But if they aren’t alleged to behave any better/smoother/faster than the pads they replace, it seems very risky to run them.

Doing some googling:

Theres a video showing new Ford pads with those springs going on an Explorer whose factory pads do not have them.

Suspect it is a Fuel Economy / Noise issue.

I would not clip them off, I would verify I had the correct pads and that they were installed properly. Then I'd ride.

Most Ford pads don’t have the spring clips. They have ears on them and ride inside channels cut into the caliper mounting brackets. Your brakes should have come as 4 pads per box (front and rear). There should have been 8 pieces of hardware (these pieces go on the caliper mounting brackets) that the pads ride in. I am always cautious about buying brake parts. I tend to go with higher quality products. I like OEM, Wagner and Raybestos. In conclusion, you have the wrong pads. I would not jeopardize your safety by trying to make something work, that won’t.
One more thing, there are several different brake pads for the Explorer. They are specific to engine and whether or not it is a police interceptor. Sometimes it’s easier to buy at the Ford dealership. The parts person will ask for your VIN number and you will get the right parts.

Last edited:
The springs im talking about are the ones on the side of the pads, here is a pic for ref. My stock pads did not have them.

SMZHyqK.jpg
I’ve seen those on the pads for a friend’s Subaru. They are to position the pad or for NVH reasons. Honda seems to be doing the same recently when I looked at the rear calipers of a new CR-V.

in this case, make sure that little spring tab sits on the right spot for it. Usually, it’s on a bare metal section of the support clips/ledges or in a groove on the caliper bracket.

? Go to the Ford Parts website or Tasca Parts and enter your VIN number. Record the correct part numbers. When you have the correct part numbers, you will be able to cross reference other parts suppliers. There are several different brake pads for the 2016 Explorer.

Last edited:
Once installed and drove around I noticed the springs/clips are pulling the pads off the rotors like 1/4th of an inch.

I don't think that is even possible. When installing new pads on new rotors the caliper pistons have to be all the way back just to have a chance of slipping the caliper and pads over the rotor. If there is a 1/4th inch space between the pads and the rotor, you defiantly must have wrong parts. Maybe a 28 mm rotor when it takes the 32 mm style.

Disregard original post. I'm an idiot. Pulled caliper off today (had to bleed brakes anyways) and they are just fine. when looking from the outside of the caliper there was a gap at the edge do to the chamfer on the pads. Did not even register.

Sorry guys.

Disregard original post. I'm an idiot. Pulled caliper off today (had to bleed brakes anyways) and they are just fine. when looking from the outside of the caliper there was a gap at the edge do to the chamfer on the pads. Did not even register.

Sorry guys.

Too late!! You, sir, are now on THE LIST!

You will be informed via mail if you win any prizes (don’t hold your breath, I’m on 3 or 4 lists here and have never won anything 😪)

Meeks, here is one of your posts. “The springs im talking about are the ones on the side of the pads, here is a pic for ref. My stock pads did not have them.”
Your stock pads didn’t have the springs?

Meeks, here is one of your posts. “The springs im talking about are the ones on the side of the pads, here is a pic for ref. My stock pads did not have them.”
Your stock pads didn’t have the springs?

They did not, bought the explorer used so unsure if they where oem or aftermarket. From what I can gather the springs where added by ford to deal with corrosion under the slide clips. Called dealer and they pulled a set for me. It had springs.

They did not, bought the explorer used so unsure if they where oem or aftermarket. From what I can gather the springs where added by ford to deal with corrosion under the slide clips. Called dealer and they pulled a set for me. It had springs.
The only way that you can be sure that you have the correct ones is by the vehicle’s
VIN number. It has nothing to do with corrosion. There are three different parts numbers for that Explorer. It all depends on how it was equipped when it left the factory. Do you see what I mean?

Last edited:
If you want to make sure your pads are correct bdcardinal maybe able to help. He is a Ford parts guy you could PM him and ask. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind helping you out. I know you said the issue is solved but just for future reference.

Back