P0172 Honda Accord EX CEL

Well, first I got a CEL on the BMW for a bad catalytic converter (covered under the BMW warranty) and now the Accord gets one. Went to Autozone and they recommended the fuel injector to be replaced? Might need to throw in some Fuel injector cleaner to see if that may help. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Before I take it to a mechanic. Would it be safe to drive to work?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 38
Before you do anything, clear the code and see if it returns. If it comes back a second time, see the video below for typical solutions.

Autozone cleared the code. I will see if it comes back. If it does, I'll try some Techron fuel injector cleaner and see if that works. If not, I'll watch the video and go through the steps

Autozone cleared the code. I will see if it comes back. If it does, I'll try some Techron fuel injector cleaner and see if that works. If not, I'll watch the video and go through the steps
Techron is OK; however, I have had better results with RedLine SL-1 which is available at O'Reilly Auto Parts and on Amazon.

P0172 is system too rich bank 1. It means your primary A/F sensor is sensing a rich mixture. Your fuel trims are I believe now over -25% to throw that code.

Autozone should have grabbed the freeze frames before they cleared everything - why I encourage people to own and learn to use an OBD scanner even if they don't do their own work.

It could be a single fuel injector - but I that would be low on my list. I assume this is a 4 cylinder. If a single injector sticks - unless its wide open, the ECU won't know this and will simply lean out the pulse width - making 3 cylinders run really lean, and one cylinder still rich. You might at that point end up with other codes - maybe a misfire.

My guess is also either MAF (clean it to start). Can also be your primary A/F sensor - aka 02 sensor. The good news is too rich is likely not a vacuum leak.

I agree with @Soft Cars - don't drive it - possible to ruin your cats.

I just had Dad put some techron fuel injector cleaner in it today before filling the tank up. He doesn't really want to drive either of the other cars to work. So, I can't really tell him not to drive the car. It's due for plugs so I think I'll be doing plugs next week. NGK it is.

If the CEL comes on again, I'll scan it with the BMW scanner I have. I think I'll be able to scan CEL codes.

Back