Overfilled engine? Fun video here.

Seriously over the last near 25 years here, my response to anyone up to a quart over?

Not a problem at all. The pan level even when not running won't reach the crank and while running crank will not even come close. Over the surface of the pan, the volume of the engine (pan included), yes 20-25% more oil seems like a lot, and it is but will not cause a problem.

I drive my 1985 F250 with a 6.9 Liter diesel engine about 500 miles per week. The official crankcase capacity is 10 quarts, or 2.5 US gallons.
I’m usually about 1-2 qts over full most times… probably because if it gets 2 quarts low, I just dump in a whole gallon.

This truck burns a gallon of oil every 600-700 miles. I just change the oil filter once per year, even though it probably doesn’t need it . . .
Oil filters are super cheap from RockAuto, anyway.

My take home was that overfilling isn’t likely to cause catastrophic damage in the short term, but might lead to more foaming depending on the engine design and amount of overfill.

If it happens, and you catch it, just drain some out. No worries.

Seriously over the last near 25 years here, my response to anyone up to a quart over?

Not a problem at all. The pan level even when not running won't reach the crank and while running crank will not even come close. Over the surface of the pan, the volume of the engine (pan included), yes 20-25% more oil seems like a lot, and it is but will not cause a problem.
It's funny You said that because I believe in a lot of the owner's manuals of a lot of sports cars, there has been a suggestion to add up to an additional courto prevent oil starvathough I don't believe that would be an issue. With a dry sump oil sysdumb, but I do believe. They've even suggested on some corvetto go up to a higher weight of oil

The counterweights in my Honda K24 are located below the crankshaft. I wouldn’t want them to be submerged. Also, I would think that always running a quart overfilled would eventually lead to PCV issues.

You beat me to it. Being a quart over even in a four quart sump shouldn't be a problem. IMO aeration might have gotten blown way out of proportion here.

I've been watching Vlad and the Garage 54 guys for years. My favourite vid is when they bolted (welded) four 4-cylinder engines end-to-end and made an I-16 in an old Lada and drove it around the countryside.

Interesting video all right.

Question about the crankshaft and how it whips up the oil in this video--is this the way it is in all/most engines? I saw a video on the removal of an oil pan, and it looks like the crankshaft doesn't actually drop down into the oil pan (unlike the one in the video in the OP), but rather the oil is lifted from the oil pan via a pickup tube. Is this setup different from the one in the Russian video? Or am I misunderstanding how that Nissan engine is constructed?

Back