“Out of Spec” EV Truck 2,500 mile Race

2,500 miles from Florida to San Diego. 3-part video coming this weekend.

Cybertruck (Cyberbeast Founders Ed.) vs.
F-150 Lightning Extended Range Lariat vs.
Rivian R1T (Quad Motor) vs.
Silverado EV (3WT)

I know who won and I won’t spoil it. Should be an entertaining watch 👍

2,500 miles from Florida to San Diego. 3-part video coming this weekend.

Cybertruck (Cyberbeast Founders Ed.) vs.
F-150 Lightning Extended Range Lariat vs.
Rivian R1T (Quad Motor) vs.
Silverado EV (3WT)

I know who won and I won’t spoil it. Should be an entertaining watch 👍

Were you part of this race?

Were you part of this race?

No, unfortunately 😄. The guy running Out of Spec (Kyle Conner) did a spoiler on The Smoking Tire podcast today. They were apparently trying to keep it a secret.

They explain the results at about 18:00 into this episode if people want to hear the results and some info. (If the link doesn’t work, just search for that podcast elsewhere). One truck charged 30 times because the charging curve is so bad… The winner only had to charge 10 times.

Different test, but they just did a 70-MPH range test. 100% to totally dead. Diesel generator rescue crew.

Silverado 4WT: 434 miles
Rivian (Dual Motor, Large Battery): 345 miles
Cybertruck Cyberbeast: 304 miles
F150 Lightning (Extended Range Battery): 282 miles

The Lucid can do 300 miles at 100MPH, according to that podcast. That's superb.

The Chevy won.
The Cybertruck followed 5 minutes later. They worked hard to make 2nd place, due to 30 charge stops. But all charge stops were over 200Kw.
The Rivian third, 45 minutes after the Cybertruck
The Ford was last, by many hours due to a very slow charge rate.

Efficiency wise is an interesting way to look at it.

Chevy 2.0 MPKWH (1.9 for 700miles )
Ford 2.1
Tesla 2.46
Rivan 2.63

The Lucid can do 300 miles at 100MPH, according to that podcast. That's superb.

The Chevy won.
The Cybertruck followed 5 minutes later. They worked hard to make 2nd place, due to 30 charge stops. But all charge stops were over 200Kw.
The Rivian third, 45 minutes after the Cybertruck
The Ford was last, by many hours due to a very slow charge rate.
What is the charge rate of the Ford?

500 mile towing test over the Rockies. Silverado EV 4WT destroyed them all. It only needed one charging stop over 500 miles and climbing the mountains twice. Cybertruck was last due to it’s poor range and even worse charging.

I keep hearing that it peaked at 125kW
It gets a 10 minute "boost" when first plugged in, which gets it up to, I believe, somewhere around 170kw...it depends on the state of charge when plugged in, as the pack voltage being higher gives that 10 minute boost more chance to deliver more power. It then drops back to about 125kw and stays level until 80%, where it drops off.

It's interesting watching the charging strategies, as the best approach with the Ford is to just keep it charging until 80% and arrive at the next stop with higher charge, whereas the Cybertruck does better when getting it down to a low state of charge, plugging in until 30 or 40% at a high charge rate, and then moving on, due to the rate dropping rapidly after that.

It seems like they all love the Ford but it's not an ideal road tripping truck. Having said that, it was only 5 hours behind on a cross country trip, which isn't horrific.

Back