Order in for 2020 F600/550 w 7.3 Engine

Originally Posted by ToadU
My bad...you replying to the other gentleman. Sorry!!!

Yes, sorry for not specifying that.

Just finalized a PO for (5) new medium duty Fords w the 7.3.

(2) F600s rollbacks w Jerrdan Beds

(3)F550s w Jerrdan self loader wheel lifts.

Excited for delivery. Currently my entire wrecker fleet is 6.8 V10s. Mostly 550s and have (4) 650s. All w/ 6 speed autos. Looking forward to seeing how the new big block and 10 Speed ATs hold up.

I am interested too. Over on the RV board that is all anyone talks about. I have not seen a towing test yet. I like to watch them because they give you an idea of capabilities even though I sometimes don't like listening to the guys at Fast truck.

I assume you like the gassers because of ease and cost of maintenance? Never mind I read the whole thing. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Just finalized a PO for (5) new medium duty Fords w the 7.3.

(2) F600s rollbacks w Jerrdan Beds

(3)F550s w Jerrdan self loader wheel lifts.

Excited for delivery. Currently my entire wrecker fleet is 6.8 V10s. Mostly 550s and have (4) 650s. All w/ 6 speed autos. Looking forward to seeing how the new big block and 10 Speed ATs hold up.

I am interested too. Over on the RV board that is all anyone talks about. I have not seen a towing test yet. I like to watch them because they give you an idea of capabilities even though I sometimes don't like listening to the guys at Fast truck.

I assume you like the gassers because of ease and cost of maintenance? Never mind I read the whole thing. LOL

There are other reasons too. Gas is silent. Easy to work on. Any bubba can wrench on gas. Parts easy to get from RockAuto and supply houses. The only thing diesel has going for it is I have my own fuel tanks. Diesel isn't explosive. Employees have no incentive to steal diesel. Gas is more dangerous to keep and employees want to steal it. Have my own above ground tanks so that's a lot of gas. Yes I have the spark arresters and all the venting ect but it's still gas. And makes me a little nervous especially w all of the bomb threats I've had over the years.

There simply isn't any way to justify a diesel in a medium duty truck. IMO. I have heard every argument and I can shoot every argument down. Do yourself a favor and buy a gas rig. You will thank me later. Gas has plenty of power. Ignore HP and torque specs. Red herrings and mind games. Just drive the thing. Tows very well.

If I was buying a toe rig I'd probably buy a Ram 5500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I like the look of the truck best, the interior is best IMO and it rides the nicest. Doesn't work for me as a wrecker but as a daily driver and tow rig probably my buy.

Call Laura at Akins Ford in Widner, GA. She's there commercial rep. Larry her boss. They are a Ram and a Ford dealer. They will shoot your the best price w no BS. I used to buy wreckers from them but they only sell Miller Tow Bodies and I switched to JerrDan so don't do any biz w them anymore. Tell them the big roam towing guy from Fl sent you. Hahah. They will know who I am.

Also if you are looking at 1 tons that's one thing but stepping up to a 450/4500 step right past these and buy a 550/5500. Same size cab, stance ect ect. Identical trucks except for the differential and ratings. It's a lot heavier duty and the cost is about $900 more. In perceptible. Don't worry both are going to drive equally hard and rattle the fillings out of your teeth empty. When not towing.....Buy a nice water tank, paint, put in bed and fill up. 8.6 or whatever lbs per gallon. Ballast. Smooths our the ride. Drain tank to remove easily. Hahah. Works. Trust me.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear the v10 only getting 125k when being driven so much. I guess it's the hauling that wears them out?? I wonder how long a well maintained v10 last in a normal everyday driver??

Originally Posted by R1jake
I'm surprised to hear the v10 only getting 125k when being driven so much. I guess it's the hauling that wears them out?? I wonder how long a well maintained v10 last in a normal everyday driver??

V10 has some serious issues and Ford knows it. That's why they have retired the engine from production. The 7.3 big Block is its replacement. They won't admit this of course.....

If you go to commercial truck trader or truck paper and do a search for medium duty with V10s you will see a huge number of adds selling them with fresh motors. Still come out ahead money wise even tossing in a crate motor over a diesel. Plus a diesel crate is gonna kill you. No promises a modern diesel will last that long either. Emissions kills them young.

Ram has issues w the 6.4 longevity too.

I would say the V10s have too many parts and rev too high. They are 10 cylinder 3 valves per and love to rev. Not the best idea for a wrk truck. That's why ford made the new 7.3 a big block. Super low rpms and it's a pushrod throttle body injection.

Last edited:

There simply isn't any way to justify a diesel in a medium duty truck. IMO. I have heard every argument and I can shoot every argument down. Do yourself a favor and buy a gas rig. You will thank me later. Gas has plenty of power. Ignore HP and torque specs. Red herrings and mind games. Just drive the thing. Tows very well.

Exactly why I have a gas 1 ton Chevy. I use it tow my 7800lbs loaded travel trailer. Guys on the RV board kill me. They think you need a 1 ton dually diesel to tow a pop up trailer. 6.0 in the Chevy is pretty bullet proof. I looked at a 6.4 Ram, but even though it has more power it didn't tow as well as the Chevy because of gearing. The new 10 speed will probably be pretty awesome and certainly fix that. All the gas 3/4 and 1 tons do fine with in their limits. I can't see any reason for me to have a diesel.

I will be really curious to hear how the 7.3 treats you. It promises to be an awesome truck engine.

Here you go.
[Linked Image]

230K on my box truck and engine is smooth as a Rolls Royce. Can't tell it's running at a stop light.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi

230K on my box truck and engine is smooth as a Rolls Royce. Can't tell it's running at a stop light.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

218 on my gas 5.4 Triton E350 box. 150k on the V10 E450 box. Great motors horrible front ends

Rollbacks is a southern term. Past the Mason Dixon everyone calls them flatbeds.....sorry.

Umm... we always called them rollbacks when I left NW Pa a few years ago and we's north of that line. Sounds like you hit the ground running flat out every day.

That's why ford made the new 7.3 a big block. Super low rpms and it's a pushrod throttle body injection.

I think you mean Port Injection? The engine isn't TBI.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That's why ford made the new 7.3 a big block. Super low rpms and it's a pushrod throttle body injection.

Thought it might wind up dual point FI like other Ford gassers … but they went all in for simple

... I have not seen a towing test yet. I like to watch them because they give you an idea of capabilities even though I sometimes don't like listening to the guys at Fast truck.

I think Ford has an embargo on driving impressions/road test until sometime in January. The Ike Gauntlet crew took delivery of 2 2020 fords (one diesel one 7.4) for and gave the date. Apparently they will be ready to go with the test on the day the embargo says they can post (in other words they are testing now, can't release it until the date.)

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
... I have not seen a towing test yet. I like to watch them because they give you an idea of capabilities even though I sometimes don't like listening to the guys at Fast truck.

I think Ford has an embargo on driving impressions/road test until sometime in January. The Ike Gauntlet crew took delivery of 2 2020 fords (one diesel one 7.4) for and gave the date. Apparently they will be ready to go with the test on the day the embargo says they can post (in other words they are testing now, can't release it until the date.)

I saw the video where took delivery. Can't wait to see their test. They already tested the New GM 6.6 on the Ike towing the max load of 16700 lbs.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yes. Sorry. I'm old. Hahah

The new 7.3 better not suck. I'm sure TONS of fleets are ordering these things just like ToadU all over north america.

Man I just read through this whole thread. Can't believe the amount of abuse these trucks will take. Good read.

Toadu, looks like on some other threads you posted your new F450 with the power stroke. When you spoke about all gas fleet were you referring to the larger trucks like 650's? Not trolling just curious to know how the diesels hold up compared to gas.

Last edited:
Man I just read through this whole thread. Can't believe the amount of abuse these trucks will take. Good read.

Toadu, looks like on some other threads you posted your new F450 with the power stroke. When you spoke about all gas fleet were you referring to the larger trucks like 650's? Not trolling just curious to know how the diesels hold up compared to gas.

Ford offered me a fleet deal on diesels of 8,000 engine hours or 200,000 miles whatever comes first bumper to bumper warranty. I couldn’t turn it down so making the shift to diesel. Also Ford still hasn’t delivered the F600s and couldn’t deliver the new trucks with the 7.3 in time frame I needed. I still prefer gas over diesel. However, with 200k miles and or 8k engine hours bumper to bumper warranty and the fact Ford jacked the price of the 7.3 over the 6.8 V10 I made the switch back to diesel. The V10s will be worked out of my fleet within 2 years.

Back