Orange gasoline.

When gas gets old it begins to varnish and turns orange. That is the 1st sign that the gas has gotten old. Shortly thereafter it starts to smell like varnish. You are asking for trouble if you run through this old orange gas. It can gum-up the carburetors, coat the valve stems and cause the intake valves to stick on a 4-cycle, and cause the rings to stick and bearings to gum-up on a 2-cycle. You also lose a noticeable amount of engine performance. Adding 10 gallons of new gas to 10 gallons of old gas gives you 20 gallons of old gas. Drain the old out and refill it with fresh gas, E0 if you can find it, and treat the new gas with stabilizer.

Last edited:
2 maybes, Did you add a large dose of stabil, that red dye will color the gas. If you have always run ethanol free is there a chance that some station slipped you some 10%. The ethanol will wash all the varnish off the tank wall and lines and turn the gas orange. Keep an eye on your filters.
Interesting. The previous owner kept the boat in a sling, so he always got gas at the fuel dock. I'm not sure if they have ethanol or not. I think even the boat dock has ethanol nawadays though. I get gas at the pump on land because it's a $1/gal cheaper lol

Last edited:
I changed out the fuel lines in my boat the other day and man did that fuel look old. It was orange coming out. Lol The boat has been sitting since around September and didn't start getting used until about a month ago. What's better run the old fuel out until it gets low then fill up with fresh stuff? I want to guess that it has around 40-50 gallons in it now. Gonna use the boat this weekend and burn through most of this fuel. I just don't know if I should fill it up before or after. Apparently the boat doesn't burn much. 12-15gph seems to be the average.
UPDATE: changed the fuel filter again and the gas was probably a year old atleast, maybe more with very little new gas added over that time. This time the gas that came out of the line when I unhooked them was clear like fresh gas would be. I bet it was the pb blaster I used on the fuel pickup tube. Sprayed some on there to let it sit for a couple days to get the fitting to turn. That stuff is orange. That's the first thing I did before changing out all the old fuel lines that were all swollen up.

Back